Carrier Reserved ATT phone with IUP, can use with T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaptOblivious, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I wouldn't even bother calling. Just b.c it is a GSM phone does not mean they will let you do it. The ATT phone has to be activated on ATT and so on etc.

I am sure their "system" prevents them from activating the ATT phone with a T-mobile number. It is all done with a scanner and nothing to do with the SIM in the phone.

2. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

I believe it does have to do with the SIM. The SIM can be scanned on the back of the box. The SIM is also what ties to your account regardless of carrier. Unless there is another step in the process I am missing, once they scan the SIM (from the back of the box) it will kill your current SIM in your phone moving your number and account to the new SIM.

I would like for them to prove me wrong on this, but I do think if they opened up the phone let me put my SIM card in it, then turned it on....it would work just fine (Verizon iPhone with AT&T SIM card). I just know I will prolly never get that chance.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It would work with your SIM 100%, but that is the problem. They would not give you the chance. Has anyone successfully walked away form the apple store with a IUP phone without activation, in the US?

4. DetTigers macrumors regular

I asked the rep during my appointment this morning and he confirmed that the phone has to be activated with the specific carrier it was reserved with. I ended up switching from AT&T to Verizon because I was only able to reserve a Verizon phone.