Reserving online is a bad joke.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'm standing in a line at the Apple store 14th St NYC, for those who reserved a phone online. It's easily 3x as long as the line for non-reservers.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

3. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I sympathise, I really do, but is that not just a teeny tiny but funny?

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

5. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

That's why I called it a joke. A bad joke.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Well, not all the people in the other line will get a phone today. Your phone is in the store. Nobody promised that you will be able to pick it up when the store opens.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I'm still don't understand why people chose to reserve in-store.
    Much easier to have it delivered you home/work/etc

8. ghoststan macrumors newbie

is a joke if you reserved at store also i paid in full this pass monday they told me you get it friday i went to the store yesterday because the online status for my order still says processing havent ship dont say pick it up today friday nothing..manager says well looks like will be 7 to 14 days before we can give you a phone i was like i want it friday just give me my money back and i come back friday morning and do the line..well sign on the pc i cant give you the money back the pc wont let me no option for it untill we have your phone on hand then we can cancel im like ok then i come in the am and if they are any phone left in stock not in reserve but walking phones available then you can give me one of them since i allready pay for it he was like no i cant they are for walking people your phone will be ship to our store in 7 to 14 days you have to wait..wtf man cant get my money back cant get my phone..

9. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I had a good experience with my reservation. They took two people from the reserve line then 1 from the non and they said the reservation speeds up checkout a lot

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Last year there were no reservations and the line was twice as long, but everyone in line got a phone that day.

Right now there's about 100 ppl in the non reserved line. They'll all get a phone before I do. If I came at 5pm I could see the benefit of reserving but at 8am it seems like a dumb plan.

11. copperlab macrumors member

The way the stores are setup is that employees are split between doing reservation sales and non-reservation sales. Each employee has a certain task for the day. That being said, a new customer activation takes about 45 minutes. While an upgrade takes about 15 minutes. So, even though the reserved lines are larger...They still go 3x as fast.

12. Razeus macrumors 601

lol, I know. I pre-ordered with Apple and now waiting for the UPS guy to deliver to my job.

...I could have just walked into the AT&T store by my job at 7 (I have to be at work at 7:30) and walked out and have my iPhone 3GS by now. :(

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Sweet zombie jesus man, use some punctuation.

14. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Nope, I was a new AT&T signup (left last year when I sold my 3G, and went to Verizon), and was done buying and activating 2 iPhones in 10 minutes. my porting was complete within about 7 more minutes as well. Also, I was not able to reserve, due to needing two phones. So it was quite quick for me.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But didn't Apple take 8 from the reserved line and 3 from the not reserved? Thats how I heard they were doing it at my local Apple Store.

AT&T users got it good...took all the preorder people in first(they went though the line asking "did you pre-order") Not that it matter, the line at AT&T was SO short. Lovely!

16. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

No wait...

I definitely just walked into our local AT&T store without reserving or anything. No line, no waiting. In and out in less than 10 minutes, including some idle chat with the sales rep.

I love living in a small town. :)

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Just be glad you didn't have to deal with AT&T. I couldn't get the Apple page to go through (Family Messaging Plan), so I pre-ordered through AT&T, for delivery at home today.

AT&T wasn't updating order statuses, so I didn't worry too much that mine still said in progress. Called this morning, and they said they can see my order, but it hasn't shipped, and they don't know why - but I should get in within the next TWO WEEKS.

I told them to cancel my order, and they can't even do that because it is too far in the process.

Anyway, I guess I have learned my lesson - don't plan on buying your phone from AT&T, no matter how inconvenient it is to wait in line at the Apple store, etc.

Oh well...

18. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Well, I'm back from the Apple store. All told, the whole process took about 3 hours, including the 5 minutes for activation and paying for the phone.

While standing in the continually growing "reserved" line, next to the far shorter "walk-in" line, I observed that people who had joined the walk-in line long after I arrived went into the store way before me, and when I entered the the store, those people were nowhere to be seen, meaning they stood in a short line, bought the phone, activated, and were outta there before I even got in the store. Based on these observations, I'd venture a guess that if you were a walk-in this morning, at the 14th St. store, you spent roughly half as much time in line as someone who reserved a phone, maybe even less. A bad joke indeed.

Lesson for next year...if you live in NYC and plan to get on the line fairly early, don't bother reserving a phone. (they'll likely have plenty of phones anyhow) You'll only be bypassed by people who just walked up and got in line.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I may not be waiting in line (in the rain) but I am waiting for fedex, so while I can understand your angst, its no better for many of us who pre-purchased the phone and are awaiting delivery.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah but is that apple's fault. They tried to address the purchasing issues last year by letting you reserve one. Evidently a huge number of folks did just that, so that they far outnumbered those who didn't you basically had to stand in line and wait your turn in the reserved line. There's no way around that (other then not reserving your phone).

21. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Except that you get to sit in a comfy chair while you're waiting...I had to stand in a puddle on cobblestones, next to some dude who kept doing bizarre, vaguely suggestive stretching exercises while waiting on the line. And the woman behind me had way too much drug store perfume on.

22. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

because I showed up at 7am... skipped the entire line (b/c pre-order) and was out in 15 mins. now i can play with my phone all day at work and not have to worry about missing the UPS guy.

no brainer decision.

23. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not controlled

This isn't the way it worked at the stanford store.

Only the reserved line was served first, which went quite quickly, THEN the non-reserved line was served.

So, there was no opportunity to jump to the shorter line (which indeed it was shorter) and get in first.

I on the other hand, even though I had a reservation and have been an att customer for nearly a 20 years, 10 years on GSM, I couldn't get my phone, had to go to an ATT store to get it worked out. So, waiting was for naught, Apple employees were very apologetic but couldn't get me helped and there wasn't much of a line at the ATT store down the street - where they simply HOOKED me up

24. iTouchIt macrumors regular

+1

25. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I woke up at 9:50 easterm walked up stairs looked out the window and saw the UPS guy. It was clockwork. No waiting at all. Good thing i put the presign on the door just in case i missed it.