Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rardark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Hello,
I have a Macbook Pro with a POP email account in Apple Mail. May I ask if the received messages can still be kept in Apple Mail after I remove the POP email account? Thanks.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I haven't used a POP3 account for a long time but you should be able to move all emails to a local folder (On My Mac), the emails are already locally stored.

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
When you remove a POP email account from the Apple Mail app, the account's email messages are removed from your Mac. However, copies of these messages will remain on the mail server and can still be accessed through webmail or other email clients.

If there are messages that you want to keep, you should move or copy them to a mailbox stored on your Mac before removing the account. This ensures that these emails will still be accessible even after the account is removed. You can do this by creating a mailbox in the "On My Mac" section in the Mail sidebar and moving your emails there.

For a more detailed guide on how to do this, you can check out this Apple Support page.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
When you remove a POP email account from the Apple Mail app, the account's email messages are removed from your Mac. However, copies of these messages will remain on the mail server and can still be accessed through webmail or other email clients.

I don't think this is accurate. What you're describing sounds a lot more like how IMAP works: it mirrors what's on the email server and downloads copies. What's stored on the Mac is also stored on the server, so there are no issues if you log in with multiple devices.

POP, on the other hand, fetches emails from the server and (if I'm remembering correctly) either deletes them from the server or leaves the originals there, depending on how the email client is configured. POP is an older standard that dates back to the days when an end user wasn't likely to have much server-side storage, so it was designed to just pass along email to its end storage destination of the user's local hard drive.

In any case, the safest course of action is -- as you say -- to copy all emails to an On My Mac folder.

Reactions: KaliYoni
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.