Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hi All,

When I go to settings-->battery,

it shows battery usage by app, amount of time spent, and also has a line for "recently deleted apps." This, to me, is a privacy concern...is there any way to reset these stats?

Reactions: Whisker29

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: BigMcGuire

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys. I will be sure to provide my feedback to Apple :) I switched back to iOS from Android and am loving it so far, with the exception of this :( I guess I'll learn to live with it lol

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
One more question...I was wondering what would happen if I leave the phone plugged in and use apps? Do they show up in "battery usage?"

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2014
Not trying to be rude but how is this a privacy concern? Is this currently forwarded to apple/app devs and if so wouldn't turning off Diagnostics & Usage fix that?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I was going to ask the same question - how is this a privacy violation? This is information that you see on your phone after getting past the touch id or pin. Android has the same thing - showing which apps use which data, even recently uninstalled apps.

Apps still show in battery usage in my experience leaving my phone plugged in for long periods of time (because it stores the last 24 hours) - haven't left my phone plugged in for 24+ hours tho, so that might be something to test.

Reactions: chabig

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not trying to be rude but how is this a privacy concern? Is this currently forwarded to apple/app devs and if so wouldn't turning off Diagnostics & Usage fix that?

I was going to ask the same question - how is this a privacy violation? This is information that you see on your phone after getting past the touch id or pin. Android has the same thing - showing which apps use which data, even recently uninstalled apps.

Apps still show in battery usage in my experience leaving my phone plugged in for long periods of time (because it stores the last 24 hours) - haven't left my phone plugged in for 24+ hours tho, so that might be something to test.
I think the idea there is that someone else might have access to the device and can look up that information with no simple way to reset/clear it (like there is for let's say browsers, searches, and many other things).

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I think the idea there is that someone else might have access to the device and can look up that information with no simple way to reset/clear it (like there is for let's say browsers, searches, and many other things).

Exactly, you nailed it! For people who are married, they would understand what I am saying. My spouse often wants to see my phone for pictures, and she can eventually begin to wander around. There may be some activities which I do not want to disclose, i.e stock trading, etc...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi All,

it shows battery usage by app, amount of time spent, and also has a line for "recently deleted apps." This, to me, is a privacy concern...is there any way to reset these stats?

Care to explain how it's a privacy concern?

Reactions: chabig

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Exactly, you nailed it! For people who are married, they would understand what I am saying. My spouse often wants to see my phone for pictures, and she can eventually begin to wander around. There may be some activities which I do not want to disclose, i.e stock trading, etc...

Sorry, I'm married and I don't understand. Sounds like there are some real marital trust issues here. If you and her are that untrustworthy to each other, get a "burner".

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I'm really trying to understand this one, so bare with me here. So the concern is that your significant other would see that you used a specific app for X amount of time or is the concern of the app you're using?

Even if you could clear the battery usage stats, somebody could open the App Store, go to the Updates tab, then click on "Purchased" at the top, then "Not on this device" and they could see a full list of every app you've downloaded. While it wouldn't show that you used the app for a specific amount of time, it would still show a full list of apps that you have on your account. It also is listed in order of most recent.

Is this also a concern for you, or do you only care about the amount of time spent using a specific app?

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Honey, I was just using your phone. What's Tinder? It looks like you spend all your time on that app.

*looks it up*

*Files for divorce*

LOL hahaha yes that's an example!
[doublepost=1481218963][/doublepost]
I'm really trying to understand this one, so bare with me here. So the concern is that your significant other would see that you used a specific app for X amount of time or is the concern of the app you're using?

Even if you could clear the battery usage stats, somebody could open the App Store, go to the Updates tab, then click on "Purchased" at the top, then "Not on this device" and they could see a full list of every app you've downloaded. While it wouldn't show that you used the app for a specific amount of time, it would still show a full list of apps that you have on your account. It also is listed in order of most recent.

Is this also a concern for you, or do you only care about the amount of time spent using a specific app?

Yes, but I believe you can go to itunes and remove purchase history, right? Same should be possible for battery usage stats.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
LOL hahaha yes that's an example!
[doublepost=1481218963][/doublepost]

Yes, but I believe you can go to itunes and remove purchase history, right? Same should be possible for battery usage stats.

If you remove purchase history for a paid app, you won't be able to download it again for free. I've learned that the hard way.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
If you remove purchase history for a paid app, you won't be able to download it again for free. I've learned that the hard way.
If I'm not mistaken, you can "unhide" your hidden app to redownload it again for free. I've done it with an app before

Whisker29

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2018
Hi All,

[doublepost=1519351250][/doublepost]Another one here.. have u file your feedback on apple?

Ronie

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Hi All,

Guys, best way to hide those apps from battery usage is, just keep power bank with you and use those apps while ur mobile is being charged. Hope this helps!

ssdiego

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
Hey don't know if anybody is still looking but, if you delete the app it will appear like this in your history. I just did this for iOS 14.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0040.PNG
    IMG_0040.PNG
    972.3 KB · Views: 375
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.