Reset Battery Usage - Privacy Concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickkedd, Dec 5, 2016.

1. wickkedd macrumors newbie

Hi All,

When I go to settings-->battery,

it shows battery usage by app, amount of time spent, and also has a line for "recently deleted apps." This, to me, is a privacy concern...is there any way to reset these stats?

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

3. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I find that very surprising and intrusive. Is there a way I can make a suggestion to Apple? What are the channels to provide feedback? Thank you!

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Try this: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Best of wishes!

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think one other potential way might be to reinstall essentially, which I believe clears out the usage data as well.

6. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be sure to provide my feedback to Apple :) I switched back to iOS from Android and am loving it so far, with the exception of this :( I guess I'll learn to live with it lol

7. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question...I was wondering what would happen if I leave the phone plugged in and use apps? Do they show up in "battery usage?"

8. mrthomnas macrumors regular

Not trying to be rude but how is this a privacy concern? Is this currently forwarded to apple/app devs and if so wouldn't turning off Diagnostics & Usage fix that?

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I was going to ask the same question - how is this a privacy violation? This is information that you see on your phone after getting past the touch id or pin. Android has the same thing - showing which apps use which data, even recently uninstalled apps.

Apps still show in battery usage in my experience leaving my phone plugged in for long periods of time (because it stores the last 24 hours) - haven't left my phone plugged in for 24+ hours tho, so that might be something to test.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

User has used ******* (Recently deleted) for 7,623 hours total since the last recharge.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think the idea there is that someone else might have access to the device and can look up that information with no simple way to reset/clear it (like there is for let's say browsers, searches, and many other things).

12. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, you nailed it! For people who are married, they would understand what I am saying. My spouse often wants to see my phone for pictures, and she can eventually begin to wander around. There may be some activities which I do not want to disclose, i.e stock trading, etc...

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Care to explain how it's a privacy concern?

14. teeshot44 macrumors member

teeshot44

Sorry, I'm married and I don't understand. Sounds like there are some real marital trust issues here. If you and her are that untrustworthy to each other, get a "burner".

15. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm really trying to understand this one, so bare with me here. So the concern is that your significant other would see that you used a specific app for X amount of time or is the concern of the app you're using?

Even if you could clear the battery usage stats, somebody could open the App Store, go to the Updates tab, then click on "Purchased" at the top, then "Not on this device" and they could see a full list of every app you've downloaded. While it wouldn't show that you used the app for a specific amount of time, it would still show a full list of apps that you have on your account. It also is listed in order of most recent.

Is this also a concern for you, or do you only care about the amount of time spent using a specific app?

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Honey, I was just using your phone. What's Tinder? It looks like you spend all your time on that app.

*looks it up*

*Files for divorce*

17. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL hahaha yes that's an example!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Yes, but I believe you can go to itunes and remove purchase history, right? Same should be possible for battery usage stats.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you remove purchase history for a paid app, you won't be able to download it again for free. I've learned that the hard way.

19. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Interesting, it does look like you can hide your purchases.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

As far as clearing the battery usage stats, no clue there. You may have to jailbreak your device.

20. sethlution macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, you can "unhide" your hidden app to redownload it again for free. I've done it with an app before