Resident Evil 5 Trailers (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by capoeirista, Oct 10, 2008.

1. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Saw the new TGS trailers for RE5 yesterday. I might have to but a new console so I can play it. It looks awesome.

Don't watch if you are saving yourself for the plot twists.

trailer 1@ gametrailers

trailer 2

DO WANT!

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I ALSO WANT, very much so. :)

But, unless Capcom releases a PC(with optimized mouse support) or Wii version, I'll pass on it.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

remember RE 4 on PC? *shudder*

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Eh... But you posted what happens as the thread title?

5. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

No I didn't. That one question on it's own means nothing as it isn't answered definitively either way. However In hindsight maybe I should have just said 'RE5 trailers!' Or something similar.

The timeline is getting a bit confusing for me now though. This is set after Code Veronica which was in turn after RE4? I need to go and look it up.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Capcom and "UbiSoft" at there best. :)

No worries this time. RE5 is being built on PCs, so this time it won't be another PS2 port on the cheap.

7. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

WOW.

I just watched it, and it blew me away. The writing is sounding great and the characters are fantastic. I loved the RE4 wink. I hope there's more.

8. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

All games are build on PC's, so unless they are planning to make a version don't count on it. It wont be at launch at least.

Also, there won't be a Wii version. The tech will always hold it back. Wii gets the spin offs like Umbrella Chronicles and ports like 4 and 0.

9. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't forget the Wii version of Resident Evil 1 (but only in Japan). A remake of a remake? This is getting stupid now :rolleyes:

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He did?

Great looking trailer.

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hello my "pessimistic" friend.

You just stated the obvious. I like that in people. :] I typed the last post with my thumbs, so I really didn't want to get into any details.

I'm familiar that games are built on PCs, but thanks for the reminder. :) I worked for a game company back in 95/96 -- they used SGIs for the N64. Assets for the PS1 were created on a PC, but exported and tested on the dev unit from what I recall.

I understand that it would be a later release, that's become a sad trend, thanks for the painful reminder. If it's a console game being ported to a PC, it's all good, when it's a PC type game gimped on a console being ported to a PC, that makes me sad.

RE5 is being built on Capcom's cross-platform MT Framework, which supports the PC. This is a big step up from their previous frameworks, which did not. This is why RE4 was ported directly from the PS2 version -- the lower-tech version.

I agree with you on the your spin-off comment, it's a sad truth, but to be fair on Capcom's part, they did produce one game that wasn't a port; Zack & Wiki. So just one... O.0

It's not the **tech that would hold the Wii back, it would be Capcom's unwillingness to invest any serious effort into it, which they've gotten quite good at doing so. Just look at vomit like ***Dead Rising Wii.

**The tech in a Xbox certainly didn't hold it back from getting Half Life 2 and Doom 3, both bleeding edge engines designed for newer much more powerful CPUs and GPUs. That's like porting Cryis to the Wii now.

***I bet the combied budget of DR Wii, RE4 Wii, and RE:UC, is not even a fraction of what Capcom is investing into RE5. One has to ask, RE:UC and RE4 were both cheap ports that sold over 3 million copies. RE5 with its bloated budget and team of 400, is only expected to sell about 2.5 mllion, so why should Capcom bother investing in AAA titles?
    This question is rhetorical. :]

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But both were horrifically scaled back, well the original HL2 wasn't a visual fest. It needed a capable CPU because of all them lavely fizix liek, and Doom 3 removed project shadows from the torch (and lots of other nice effects). Both didn't lose the feel of the original titles though. Cept they lost the better control scheme :D

Original title has been edited.

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

After the fantastic Devil May Cry 4 port then it's absolutely possible, if RE5 does come on the PC it'll run great for sure.

It's a smart decision, very little investment in making a profit but nice returns, of course Capcom just recently bitched about DMC4 piracy (what developer doesn't bitch about piracy nowadays anyway? :rolleyes:) so I guess it's still up in the air.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The demo of that game runs UBERIFIC on my PC. I never bought a gamepad, so it played weird on my keyboard. :eek:

There was an article on Gamasutra about the port and they mentioned that it required less time and effort, since all of their in-house teams were working on the same engine/tools -- well, everyone but the Wii, but I think that MH3 is Capcom's effort to make the MT Framework Wii happy, since their future plan stated no more console exclusives.

Sven over at Capcom never denies anything, nor does he confirm anything. Overall I get the impression it will happen and I've noticed many developers who shuned the PC, put it back in the loop -- probably because the 360 and PS3 didn't become the PS2 they had hoped?

Piracy blah. Look at Fallout 3 on the 360, that's just as bad -- someone at Bethsoft is going to get arrested. And if it's not piracy, it's used games. Maybe they should bitch about the bloated budgets of these games, or why they just built a tech-demo and not something fun. They need to look at Valve and Blizzard, since these guys are doing great.

Anyways, a few more days to Dead Space, a game that actually looks scary. RE5 looks intensely fun, but not scary. :)