Resident Evil 6

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Am I the only one who has completely lost interest in the series?

I dug the first couple of games back in the day, and I loved RE4. They lost me with RE5...I bought it, played maybe half of the campaign, then sold it...

Now this new one just seems so...scattered, like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Somehow it has managed to lose ALL appeal to me, from what I have seen so far. I'll admit I have yet to play the demo - but the sheer fact that it's been sitting on my hard drive for a week and I almost forgot it was there speaks volumes.

Did anyone pick this up? What's your experience with it so far?

2. applefan289, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

applefan289 macrumors 68000

I too have lost interest in the series after looking at some review scores and playing the demo of RE6. I chose Chris' campaign and felt like I was playing some war game.

The last RE game I played was RE5 (and RE Chronicles HD Collection, but that doesn't really count). IMO RE5 was not bad, and could definitely keep the series going if RE6 is equal to or better.

I remember RE4 being a good, interesting game for its time. I was not a fan of the gameplay in RE1-3, but RE4 made the gameplay comfortable (3rd person shooter).

I have not played RE6 (other than the demo) so I can't really judge, but I can tell it's different from RE4/5. Also, I thought the graphics were very good.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Not to mention it has been absolutely slaughtered in every review I have read, completely put me off.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Played the demo.....

Nice graphics & cutscenes, but same dodgy|awful gameplay mechanics, camera & controls.

Someone needs to tell Capcom it's not January 2005 anymore... Resident evil games should have moved on, or improved not just graphically but in how they control since Resident Evil 4.... But here we are 7 years later and suffers the same issues that were excusable 7 years ago, but gamers expect more now.

I bet it still sells though. For me, I'll wait for ZombiU

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only ever played the RE remake for the Gamecube (and everyone told me to get RE4 for it as well). Never did bother with the series, but from an outsiders POV it seems like they don't know what to do with the series now and each sequel is just completely different (in style, gameplay, controls?) than the last.

Let me know when it's safe to return.

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Played the demo today. Graphics really good, better than expected to be honest. But I was pretty bored with it, couldn't get into it at all. I was actually happy when the demo was over, that's pretty bad! :)

Played the "Sleeping Dogs" demo after that and had a total blast with it! Kind of a surprise hit for me, planning to pick this up now when the price comes down a little.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just picked this up on STEAM for €15. Good game but would never have paid full price tbh. Still trying to plow through Transformers, Darksiders 2 & Borderlands 2.... :eek:

8. JayMysterio, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I loved RE5. I rented RE6, and couldn't muster myself to put it in the disc tray. A combination of lack of interest in the game, the bad reviews, and I've been enjoying Borderlands 2 far too much. Sleeping Dogs was the game I was playing before Borderlands 2. It was worth the day 1 purchase, and it has dlc on the way supposedly.

I also think I've grown a bit jaded with Capcom in general and don't 'trust' the company. I purchased SF X Tekken when it came out, to discover the on disc dlc fiasco. The game I purchased before that was SF IV, and we know about the super version that came out later, only after the dlc costumes. Capcom has a little too readily embraced the DLC formula.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm pretty damn excited for Leon to be back. Played the demo on Xbox 360, just Leon's campaign. I think I liked the control set up more then RE5, but that might be a result of Capcom improving off of RE5 while I also have a much better grasp of the new control set up.

I thought being able to walk and shoot would really throw me off, but they did it in a tasteful way, adding some movement, but not throwing everything I like about RE away.

I want to pick it up, but given how quickly the price of the last RE fell, I'm can see myself waiting to buy it.

10. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Got it on preorder from Amazon on release day. I've dropped about 4-5 hours into the Leon campaign and I honestly believe its already much better than RE5. Despite 5 being somewhat boring and linear, it was still entertaining, and I beat it somewhere between 5-10 times. On first play, RE6 seems to be improved in almost every way. The Leon campaign color palette and scenarios refer back to the RE1-3 days, and the zombies are a welcome return from the insect/infected from 4 and 5. The weapon firing rate isn't crippled from the beginning, and the melee attacks are great.

I don't see why this game deserves anything less than an average review of maybe a 6 or 7 our of 10 and while there have been some negative reviews, there have also been many good ones. If you liked 4, definitely give 6 a shot.

Only things I would criticize are the new inventory system (which I still can't exactly figure out) and the difficulty of fending off certain enemies. The game also opens with an excessive amount of quick time events and a slow-paced walk, but it gets so much better.

11. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The series has completely lost it's essence, what made Resident Evil great...the survival horror element. Now it is just a Call of Duty wanna-be. A shame. I loved them all up to RE4 but starting with RE5 it has all gone down hill.