Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Does anyone know if the resolution changes when a MBP 15" is hooked up to a 20" ACD?

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Well, normally, when you hook up an external monitor, it extends the desktop so the resolution of your 15" display will be 1440x900 and the 20" will be 1680x1050.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It should display 1680x1050 (unless in mirrored mode). I'm on one now, connected to my 17" MBP C2D (single display).

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
My plan is to just close the MacBook and use the wireless apple keyboard with wireless mighty mouse and have the macbook hooked up to the display. Would that work?

dmarch

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Big Sky, MT
Yes, this is the way I am set up at home. If you have the new graphics update installed you need to start your macbook pro with the display attached, closing the lid immediately after pushing the start button. The unit will then recognize the display properly.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
My plan is to just close the MacBook and use the wireless apple keyboard with wireless mighty mouse and have the macbook hooked up to the display. Would that work?

Also using my MBP this way. I haven't had any issues with the graphics update, though.

When taking the MBP with me, I unmount external drives and put it to sleep. Then, unplug the drives (USB/FW), then the display USB, then the monitor connector. Take the MBP to destination, wake, and use normally. When I return home, I plug the display connector in, then the rest of the USB/Firewire cables. It usually wakes when the display's USB is connected. The machine is closed, and the internal display is, as expected, off.

Using the new BT Al keyboard and BT MM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.