RESOLVED: Epic fail my Apple Pay screw-up-charged wrong card

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jbizzybeetle, Apr 12, 2015.

1. jbizzybeetle, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

RESOLVED: Charge Card changed AND KEPT MY APRIL 24-5/8 delivery date estimate for watch as well as the one for blue band thanks to wonderful telephone customer service Rep John. This a.m. My mistake rectified. Lesson learned. And hopefully all order status updates reflect this bubbly understanding. :D

Apple Pay charges for watch and band not showing up on designated card so checked second card in Passbook. Viola! There they are, wrong card, the one WITHOUT the 12-month deferred interest.

Despite my having done the following:
    1. Changed preferred credit card on file in account via webpage/Apple Store online. Double checked several times in last month to assure all info current on new card, shipping and billing info, etc.
    2. Moved cards in order on Passbook on iPhone 6+.
    3. Made minor purchase $11 via App Store on iPhone using Apple Pay to verify process. That one went on preferred account! But not the $850 total of two orders for watch (4/24-5/8) and band (2-4 weeks).

Also starting April 11, I can't get the cards in Passbook switched back so I really don't know how Apple watch orders went to wrong card.

I be calling customer service Monday.

2. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

There's a setting in Settings --> Passbook for the default card. I had to change my default too.

There have been many reports of people calling 1800 MY APPLE and changing the billing information without problem so you should be fine

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct,

I used Apple Pay and it had my work address as the billing address (shipping address was correct), called CS and they changed it with no problem. Once the product goes into Prepare to Ship thats when its to late to change info, anytime before that you're good.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Moving cards around in Passbook on iPhone 6+ doesn't change the default card. You'd have to do that in settings. Sounds like you need to chalk it up to user error.

5. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks much! Odd it all worked fine with test order.

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

if you ordered it in the app (which i assume you did since you used apple pay) it uses the card on file as your main card in the iTunes store because you are logged in under your iTunes apple account inside the store.

Could be wrong i suppose but I am pretty sure that is how THIS transaction worked (or others made in the apple store app just like when made in the app store).

7. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Ill check iTunes separately.
    maybe it's not too odd Apple would allow separate account information in store account compared to iTunes, from which I hardly ever buy anything. Wonder about App Store. Hmmmm.

I actually posted this for people saying they've seen no charges in case they are also searching in wrong card info.

The email confirmation doesn't list credit card to be charged. You have to go into order status which has been repeatedly unavailable. That's where I found my info this am.

Otherwise just another stupid human trick on my part. #

8. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

It told you which card it was going to use on the check out page. Not Apple's fault that you didn't pay attention.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

Look at the bright side, at least you got 4/24-5/8 delivery! I ordered right away and got 4-6 weeks.

I'd be careful changing this order if this delivery date is important to you. I read another account of someone changing their adress and their delivery changed from what you have to June!

10. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I don't think when you pay with Apple Pay in the app you get a checkout page.

11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Happened to me. Changed address and card no problems.

12. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

I used Apple Pay without issue when ordering my Watch: I manually switched which credit card it would be charged to before letting it scan my thumbprint.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't even have to log in. Paying with Apple Pay will automatically use the default card unless you select differently.

14. jbizzybeetle, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Rude much?
    Both my cards refer to themselves as Blue Preferred. That's what the checkout page said so no easy discrepancy noted.

----------

Thanks! That's why thought I'd call first.. It is the difference of cash in 30 days or 365 days plus Apple Rewards on the account I meant to use.

----------

Yes, you note my basic error to enlighten me without flamethrower.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Agree. I have 5 different things in passbook and always choose which one I want to use. American Express with American Airline miles for me. :D

16. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Yep, made me choose which card to use as well so I don't view this as an Epic fail of Apple Pay.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple Pay will automatically use the default card, not make you choose a card before paying. Although you always have the option to pick a different card other than the default before paying.

18. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I agree typically but it made you choose which card to use for this preorder.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not for me. I didn't log in in the Apple Store app and Apple Pay automatically selected my default card, using the billing/shipping/email info that I had in Settings under Passbook & Apple Pay.

20. cpzahner macrumors member

User Error...

Sounds like user error to me. Maybe instead of blaming apple and making yourself look like an idiot in the process, figure out how to use Apple Pay first.

21. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

When you tap Pay with Apple Pay, a screen comes up identifying which card to use, your billing and shipping address. Then you put your thumb on the TouchID sensor and the transaction is processed.

I used the app and paid with Apple Pay. It was straight forward.

----------

The check out page also included the last 4 digits of the credit card to be used. My original statement stands.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Actually, this happened to me, too.

• I prepped my Barclaycard for the deferred interest promotion.
    • I removed my old credit card and added my Barclaycard in Account Settings on the Apple Store website on my MacBook.
    • At the open of the preorders, I launched the Apple Store app on my iPhone and proceeded to purchase both WATCHes with "Buy with Apple Pay."
    • Checked order status and noticed that both transactions when to the original card.

In retrospect, I did not know to look at my device's link to Apple Pay, and assumed that the default payment method on my Apple ID as shown in the Apple Store website would be the payment method.

Of course, not to mess up anything with the order in process, I'm leaving the transactions as is for now and just wait for the arrival of my WATCHes. Hopefully, Apple won't give me a hard time if I brought everything back to the store, refunded the purchases on my old card and repurchase it on my Barclaycard, this time with the AppleCare+ add-ons linked to both WATCHes.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Let's not beat up on the OP any further. He moved around his cards in Passbook mistakingly thinking that'd change his default card when he should have done it in Settings. He's admitted his mistake, resolved his order situation, learned his lesson and is moving on.

24. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

But it's still epic. Right up there with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

25. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

WHY??? This bugs the crap out of me. It always has my work info by default when paying with Apple Pay in all my apps - Apple Store, Groupon, Panera, etc. Everything is correctly set to my home info in Passbook & Apple Pay settings, so why does every app want to pull my office info?