Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would (did) you do if your iPhone 11 Pro (Max) has the flickering issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
going to take it to the apple store tomorrow to see what they think. on iOS 13.1.2 and still flickers.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Whew, ok so it isn’t just me and it seems like it’s software. Turned my brightness all the way up to show photos to family members and it started flickering

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
Whew, ok so it isn’t just me and it seems like it’s software. Turned my brightness all the way up to show photos to family members and it started flickering
why do you think it's software? i would think it would be hardware? bad screen?
Hi guys, I upgraded to iOS 13.1 this Tuesday on my pro max. It recently occurs to me that, when I use the Photos app (either scrolling through photos or watching a specific photo), I will get some kinds of pixel flickering between different screen brightness levels before it settles down for a specific one. I didn't notice it before in iOS 13.0

For example, take a picture with HDR here (down below). If I show it in Photos app and take my pro max close to a lamp so that it try to boost up the screen brightness, it might start to flicker near like 70% to 80% brightness levels, then stabilize after reaching a higher level.

I think this problem might be related to the option of "View Full HDR" in Photos app (option in Settings). As Apple advertised, the pro max's screen could reach 1200 nits max brightness when viewing HDR medias. And for now it seems that the transition between brightness levels is not smooth enough so that it looks like a hardware issue. When I opt out the "View Full HDR", no issue occurs.

Somebody else has also mentioned this in another thread:

Just want to know if you guys are experiencing the same problem. Hope it's not a hardware failure.

View attachment 864086
Do you only notice the flickering in Photos app? or other apps? i can reproduce it over and over in photos, and sometimes it flickers outside of photos.

Last edited:

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
why do you think it's software? i would think it would be hardware? bad screen?

Do you only notice the flickering in Photos app? or other apps?

I've only noticed in Photos app. Just got my replacement pro max but it does the same thing. When Night Shift and True Tone are turned on, the issue could be easily reproduced.

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
I've only noticed in Photos app. Just got my replacement pro max but it does the same thing. When Night Shift and True Tone are turned on, the issue could be easily reproduced.
i just tested with truetone and nightshift turned off. seems to fix things... weird. have you contacted apple about it? their phone support is clueless.

so you are sure that it is a software issue?

Last edited:

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
i just tested with truetone and nightshift turned off. seems to fix things... weird. have you contacted apple about it? their phone support is clueless.

so you are sure that it is a software issue?

Yep I talked to a supervisor and he just suggested my to factory reset... didn't help tho

From my test I think it's mainly conflict between Night Shift + True Tone and View Full HDR. They're having some luminosity / colour temperature setting issues. So turning off either of the combination would solve the problem.

I'm feeling like it's 98% chance of software issue. Even if it turns out to be a hardware problem in the future, Apple still needs to service our devices or releases new software to remediate the phenomenon. I think it would be useless to return/replace for new Pro (Max) right now. As I tried, the new one I got today has the exact same issue, happening at 13.0 and 13.1.2 both. Maybe the safest way would be returning the device and keep using the old one :( But I would just wait for a software fix as this problem only happens at night when Night Shift is automatically turned on. What do you think?

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2019
i noticed screen flickering during the day too. after 13.1.2 update its really bad. i've been on the phone with apple support forever, they just said other people are having the same problem and no resolution, resetting the phone didn't help.

they are going to escalate this to Tier 2/RTA group to help figure out the problem. if it's just a software bug i'm more than happy to wait for a fix. returning the phone is such a nightmare since you don't know if the replacement will have the same issue.

to reproduce the issue i turn down screen brightness and go into darker room, then turn screen brightness to max, go into photos and swipe between photos. needs a white border at the top/bottom of photos... nightshift and truetone on. then it's like a strobe light lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: obargy

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
i noticed screen flickering during the day too. after 13.1.2 update its really bad. i've been on the phone with apple support forever, they just said other people are having the same problem and no resolution, resetting the phone didn't help.

they are going to escalate this to Tier 2/RTA group to help figure out the problem. if it's just a software bug i'm more than happy to wait for a fix. returning the phone is such a nightmare since you don't know if the replacement will have the same issue.

Thanks for sticking with them on the phone!:D

Mystyleandmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NY
In my situation when true tone is turned on if I watch a Netflix show or a movie the screen will flicker to try to adjust the true tone. It also happens when I turn on the view HDR photos in my albums as well. Then when I go through my pictures it will flicker when I select a picture. It’s only when I turn off view HDR photos and the true tone setting that the screen works how it’s supposed to. Although it’s not a fix and I love the setting (true tone) and I truly hope it’s a software fix. I’ll probably get my phone replaced by Apple tomorrow but we’ll see.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I agree that it may likely be a software related issue. I've had my XR for nearly a year now and only after upgrading to iOS 13 (and subsequent versions) have I occasionally noticed a brief flicker when changing apps. It could be photos but I don't remember which app(s) it happens with. Considering this is a different model and screen technology my assumption is it's a bug.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I agree that it may likely be a software related issue. I've had my XR for nearly a year now and only after upgrading to iOS 13 (and subsequent versions) have I occasionally noticed a brief flicker when changing apps. It could be photos but I don't remember which app(s) it happens with. Considering this is a different model and screen technology my assumption is it's a bug.

wow even XR
In my situation when true tone is turned on if I watch a Netflix show or a movie the screen will flicker to try to adjust the true tone. It also happens when I turn on the view HDR photos in my albums as well. Then when I go through my pictures it will flicker when I select a picture. It’s only when I turn off view HDR photos and the true tone setting that the screen works how it’s supposed to. Although it’s not a fix and I love the setting (true tone) and I truly hope it’s a software fix. I’ll probably get my phone replaced by Apple tomorrow but we’ll see.

Are yours also 11 Pro Max?

Nazmor

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
My iPhone Pro (not max) has the same issue. It is definitely a problem with hdr with True Tone set On. Screen flickers in Photos and HDR Netflix (e.g. Start Trek Discovery series). It looks like True Tone struggles to adjust when light conditions changes, screen brightness is high although not necessarily maximum level, and there is quite a lot of bright content on the screen. To replicate issue open hdr photo (taken with smart hdr enabled for example landscape with a sky etc.) in photos app (with “View full hdr“ set on in the app settings) and keep user interface visible ( preferably in light mode so there are white bars around the photo) . Then switch the light in the room off and you should be able to see screen flickering for around 10 seconds. My Xs max does not have this issue and both run iOS 13.1.2.

Mystyleandmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
NY
wow even XR

Are yours also 11 Pro Max?
Yeah it’s happening on my 11 Pro Max And I am up to date on the newest iOS. I actually checked my Xs max last night after I saw your comment and I couldn’t get it to replicate the flickering issue. I didn’t spend a lot of time on checking it but at a quick glance it seems that it’s only happening on my 11 Pro.

thasoul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
I see the same behaviour on setting the screen to superbright and viewing HDR photos and True Tone on. It flickers even when leaving the full screen mode of the photos and moving back to the home screen or even unlock the phone. iOS 13.1.2, iPhone Pro Max

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
My friend also had this issue. He just told me after he updated pro max to iOS 13.2 beta1. The problem seems gone.

• Love

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
I just updated to iOS 13.2 beta 1 myself. The problem persist. It is still flickering under low environment light with high screen brightness. I am leaning toward hardware issue now. Either the screen or the front light sensor. I tested couple my friends pros and maxs with the exact same pictures and same settings. Only one has this issue beside mine. My placement phone and the original one have very similar serial number they all started with F2LZ. It’s very frustrating since Apple has no response to this issue.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I just updated to iOS 13.2 beta 1 myself. The problem persist. It is still flickering under low environment light with high screen brightness. I am leaning toward hardware issue now. Either the screen or the front light sensor. I tested couple my friends pros and maxs with the exact same pictures and same settings. Only one has this issue beside mine. My placement phone and the original one have very similar serial number they all started with F2LZ. It’s very frustrating since Apple has no response to this issue.

o_O Oh my... Now the question is how to be lucky enough to get a non-flickering phone.

head_bigg

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I started noticing this today (iOS 13.1.2). Having read this thread, I’m more confident that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one which puts me at ease.

Nevermind.... I just saw the post above. (Patiently waits for an Apple recall)
[automerge]1570128423[/automerge]

Mine does it and my Serial starts with G6TZ

Steveyliu

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
I started noticing this today (iOS 13.1.2). Having read this thread, I’m more confident that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one which puts me at ease.

Nevermind.... I just saw the post above. (Patiently waits for an Apple recall)
[automerge]1570128423[/automerge]

Mine does it and my Serial starts with G6TZ

I really hope it’s a software issue. We have 14 days return policy. I will hold on to mine at least for now and wait to see what happens. I am not sure what’s the return policy around world. I would suggest get a replacement before the day expired. So at least you will get a brand new one instead of them try to fix it at Apple store.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I really hope it’s a software issue. We have 14 days return policy. I will hold on to mine at least for now and wait to see what happens. I am not sure what’s the return policy around world. I would suggest get a replacement before the day expired. So at least you will get a brand new one instead of them try to fix it at Apple store.

Good point on the return policy. I'm feeling that it's really a general problem and it's just hard for people to find out (or reproduce). Look at the tendency of this thread, it's just a matter of time that it becomes a hot topic (before a software fix).

For me, it's necessary to have several elements in order to reproduce the flickering:
  1. In Photos app viewing HDR content or watching HDR videos in other apps
  2. True Tone and Night Shift turned on
  3. View Full HDR in Settings/Photos turned on
  4. Screen brightness is over half
  5. Ambient light changing and the iPhone itself trying to boost the screen luminosity
Most people use their iPhone in a relatively low light at night, that's why it's hard to notice/reproduce.

For the point 5, try walking from a dark room to a light one, or just move your iPhone from dark area to a lit desk lamp.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.