Respring is back on ios 8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kristoffer4, Oct 21, 2014.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Well I just experienced a respring to the Apple logo on my IPad mini retina on ios 8.1 :(
    I thought this was a thing we had left behind on ios 7.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't want to hijack your thread but I'll quickly mention that's not the only iOS 7 glitch to reappear for me.

3. ipaqowner macrumors regular

What the heck is "respring"?

4. X-X macrumors 6502

The system process that shows you your app icon (homescreen) is called Springboard.

When that thing crashes and restarts, it's called a respring.

5. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

It's possible to crash the Springboard by going into multitasking, sliding an app up to close it, and quickly tapping the icon for it just before it disappears.

6. camilaacolide macrumors newbie

Very true.
    Just did that in 8.1... interesting! Thanks.

7. namyang217 macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem.. i am on iPhone 6 Ios 8.1. i was browsing internet like any other days then the iphone suddenly resprung itself showing the apple logo..

8. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I always wonder how people find things like this. I can't think of a real life scenario where I'd find myself falling victim to this crash.

That said, I attempted it (it took a bit of effort to time it right) and was able to force the crash to occur.

9. petsounds macrumors 65816

Probably because the app process has already been killed before the animation is done. Good catch, but not something most users would ever do.

10. ipaqowner macrumors regular

In other words just another name for "reboot"

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, a reboot is when all processes are stopped and started again. A respring is when only Springboard and backboard are stopped and started as well as other GUI processes and those spawned from Springboard/backboard.

12. kingdom23 macrumors regular

I have had random resprings on my iPhone 5 ever since ios 7. The last one I had was on iOS 8.0.2. So far, no resprings on 8.1.

13. Wando64 macrumors 6502

IPad Air here with 8.1
    I have been trying this for a laugh and no way I can make it happen.

8.1 so far has been extremely good for me. Not a single problem. None. Zero.

14. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Maybe I just don't **** with my iPhone as much as everyone else here, but I've been using the iPhone since the 3G, and I've never had a respring. Ever.

15. ender21 macrumors 6502

Or you're just a statistical anomaly (not to mention it may never have existed as a problem as far back as the 3G).

It doesn't require ****ing with your phone. For many it just requires regular use. Like launching the Mail app, or pressing the Back button in Safari. Regularly using my 5S with iOS 7 sometimes became an adventure in "how many times will the phone respring today?" So far 8 on my 6+ seems more stable but it has happened to me a few times, and I'm quite certain I'm not ****ing with my phone when it happens. Just using it as-designed; even stock Apple apps.

16. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Using a 5s, and I've not had a single respring or random reboot since updating to iOS 8 (versions 8.0, 8.02, and 8.1). None.

With iOS 7, they occurred often until about version 7.0.4.

17. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I've gotten maybe 4-5 resprings on the 6+ since using it starting Friday. Plus numerous other glitches I didn't experience on the 5s. Might be some migration problems.

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I have that quite often during a day with simple use of Safari in addition to listen to music; Mini3, 8.1. Really disturbing.

I activated diagnose transmission to apple; hopefully they can figure out how to stop that.

19. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

New hardware with new drivers, i.e., many new potential points of failure. And that's not even considering the broad expansion of APIs and the retooling of the OS itself.

The 5s had its teething problems last year. The only really new hardware was the 64-bit SoC and Touch ID, and if you recall, Apple had a lot of bug fixing with iOS 7 just from the 64-bit transition and various Touch ID issues.

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I don't think it's this exact issue, but ever since the 8.1 update I have had three instances when using Safari that my iPad mini 2 spontaneously reboots to the Apple logo. Guessing this is a software glitch and not my iPad? I have already tried restoring the iPad, but it still happened again (today).

21. ammophobia macrumors newbie

I updated from 8.0.2 to 8.1 on my 6 Plus, and had weird problems like difficulty opening control center in-app, random crashes, and stuff.

Then I did "Reset all Settings", reconfigure the settings back to my likings, and all the problems are gone. Control center now opens smoothly anywhere, no more random crashes, etc.

I recommend trying this first and see if it helps.

22. lautzki macrumors regular

Just replicated this with iPhone 5S on iOS 8.1.

23. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Hmm thanks, I will try that. Does it seem to lag less overall? What about rotating spotlight between portrait and landscape mode?

24. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

What's even more funny in this bug is that it happens in iOS 7.0, but it was fixed in 7.1. Somehow, they re-introduced the crash in iOS 8.

25. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I haven't been able to replicate this bug on an iPhone 6 with 8.1. Every time I hit the app icon the app contents fly right back down and zoom to open. Maybe the 6 is too fast to cause the issue?