Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not for a text message you don't; literally just responded using raise to wake and 3D Touch on the notification. Didn't touch the home button once.

Then that is a big security hole and not intended. Because then anyone would be able to respond to any of your texts of you left your phone unattended. Plus see some of the conversation with the new Rich Notifications. That's bad.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Having to press the home button at the lock screen to go to your home screen is fine for those with the 6S and 6S+, due to the insanely fast fingerprint reader. But for those of us with the 6 and 6+, unlocking the phone to the home screen takes even longer now with the new setup. Sure it's only maybe an extra second or two, but it's still longer. I think Rest Finger to Unlock is supposed to remedy that for us non-S users, but as of right now it just doesn't.

Why would pressing the button make touchid 1 devices take longer. Especially a second or two.

Neither my SE or iPP take any longer to unlock and get to springboard than they did before.

Reactions: lagwagon

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
And why would Apple add a toggle to either make it quicker "on" or purposely slower "off". His explanation doesn't make sense.

Right. I don't understand the confusion around this. A simple unlock using the home button and touchid is exactly the same as it always was.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't understand the confusion either. It's pretty straight forward.
I am now completely confused by all of those about this feature. I don't know why they are confused and don't know why it is so hard to understand this mindset. They have over complexed this feature.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Then that is a big security hole and not intended. Because then anyone would be able to respond to any of your texts of you left your phone unattended. Plus see some of the conversation with the new Rich Notifications. That's bad.
It's not unintended, it's an option in Touch ID and Passcode settings. "Allow access when locked;" it's been like this for years.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It's not unintended, it's an option in Touch ID and Passcode settings. "Allow access when locked;" it's been like this for years.

That setting is commonly misunderstood. It's for replying to a call with a stock message when you decide not to pick it up. It's actually not even present on ipads (despite their ability to take calls) so, no, you shouldn't be able to reply to sms, iMessage or mails when the device is locked.

Edit: just to be clear I'm talking about "Reply with message" under "Allow access when locked"

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I'm pretty sure you could do the same with iOS 9. You could slide to the left, hit "reply" and then type your message out and hit send.

There is definitely a privacy setting to prevent this though; you could either toggle off "Show Previews" in the Messages section of Notifications or prevent Messages notifications from showing up on the lock screen altogether.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm pretty sure you could do the same with iOS 9. You could slide to the left, hit "reply" and then type your message out and hit send.

There is definitely a privacy setting to prevent this though; you could either toggle off "Show Previews" in the Messages section of Notifications or prevent Messages notifications from showing up on the lock screen altogether.

You know I just tested this and you're right. I managed to reply to an sms without touchid at all :eek: I really hope that does not survive iOS 10 GM.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That setting is commonly misunderstood. It's for replying to a call with a stock message when you decide not to pick it up. It's actually not even present on ipads (despite their ability to take calls) so, no, you shouldn't be able to reply to sms, iMessage or mails when the device is locked.

Edit: just to be clear I'm talking about "Reply with message" under "Allow access when locked"
But in iOS 9, when that option is enabled, you can actually reply a message from lock screen without unlocking your phone. But that's it.
In iOS 10, this needs a new definition, or anyone can definitely mess up your conversation without even telling to you.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
This is no different from iOS 8. It doesn't show the whole convo on the lock screen, just the notifications already present. So they can't see anything they normally wouldn't be able to. The only difference is the ability to send multiple replies

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I think people are missing the point of RestToUnlock. It will be huge from an Accessibility standpoint. I just don't think it's working yet in this beta.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I think people are missing the point of RestToUnlock. It will be huge from an Accessibility standpoint. I just don't think it's working yet in this beta.
When I first enabled it, it worked fine. Now it doesn't.
[doublepost=1467897608][/doublepost]
I don't like the way that the new unlock method works.

At least for me it is vey inconsistent.
It's very consistent for me. It does the same thing every time. It unlocks the phone.
[doublepost=1467897670][/doublepost]
You know I just tested this and you're right. I managed to reply to an sms without touchid at all :eek: I really hope that does not survive iOS 10 GM.
I'm sure you could do this on iOS 9 too.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
My experience in Beta 1 on my 6s was this: Click home, it wakes and registers the touch id. I could then interact with the lock screen all I want and when ready to go to the home screen, I would need to press home again.

When I installed Beta 2, my experience was the same until I enabled this rest finger option. The experience then was: Click home, it wakes, registers and went to the home screen.

Im simply speaking about my experience. I tried turning this feature off but the experience didnt change back to prior to me enabling it so there very well may be a bug in this feature or whatever but this is what I experienced. Trash me all you want but as a developer since the first app store apps and being an owner since the first generation iPhone, Im experienced in the UX of an iPhone.

EDIT: I was able to turn the option off and it looks like how this seems to work is a timer or something. I hold my thumb on the home button the same way but it seemed to register my touch ID only after the screen displayed whereas with the rest option on, it seemed to register at the same time. So we all might just be arguing over something as silly as a few milliseconds of a thumb rest. Who knows.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Do you not understand that "Unlock" and "Go to Home Screen" are two completely different things?
[doublepost=1467742667][/doublepost]
They took nothing away. They improved what was a flawed implementation in iOS 9.

I think you are missing the part where they added a new toggle in beta 2. The toggle seems to have no effect on lock screen action though, on or off. I believe that is what OP is referencing. See attached screenshot for toggle.

Attachments

• IMG_5343.PNG
    IMG_5343.PNG
    108.4 KB · Views: 97

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
While I understand the concept of what Apple did here (access to lock screen widget info), I still feel that it is a bit convoluted and confusing. I think I would want the option back to place my finger on the touch ID, unlock, and bring me to the home screen all in one step. I got used to it in a day or so though and it does make sense if you want to access for your lock screen info.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
While I understand the concept of what Apple did here (access to lock screen widget info), I still feel that it is a bit convoluted and confusing. I think I would want the option back to place my finger on the touch ID, unlock, and bring me to the home screen all in one step. I got used to it in a day or so though and it does make sense if you want to access for your lock screen info.
I like having widget access on the lockscreen. I can see there being enormous potential once we can see what 3rd party apps do with it

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Why would pressing the button make touchid 1 devices take longer. Especially a second or two.

Neither my SE or iPP take any longer to unlock and get to springboard than they did before.

For some reason when I press the home button to wake up my iPhone and iPad Pro, it still says "Press Home to Open", as if it immediately forgot how I woke it up in the first place, this is especially noticeable on my iPad Pro. So, not only does Rest to Unlock not work, but now I have to press the Home Button twice on my iPad, once to wake it up and again just to get to the homescreen, without ever taking my finger off the reader.

I miss being able to just press the home button once, leaving my finger on the reader, and the device waking up and going straight to my homescreen. It was fast and efficient. Now it's slow and clunky.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I miss being able to just press the home button once, leaving my finger on the reader, and the device waking up and going straight to my homescreen. It was fast and efficient. Now it's slow and clunky.

Not that it helps you much but that works for me and at least some others. Not sure what the disparity is here.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For some reason when I press the home button to wake up my iPhone and iPad Pro, it still says "Press Home to Open", as if it immediately forgot how I woke it up in the first place, this is especially noticeable on my iPad Pro. So, not only does Rest to Unlock not work, but now I have to press the Home Button twice on my iPad, once to wake it up and again just to get to the homescreen, without ever taking my finger off the reader.

When it says "open" in the text, that means the device has used your registered finger and already unlocked the device. Open = going to the Home screen. Unlock is just a state now, separate to the old meaning of going to Home. So that you can interact with lock screen items.

And as Feenician said. What you "miss" is and has always been able to happen (at least for a lot of people)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm going to help out here and say that neither party is wrong

Long story short: RESTART YOUR DEVICE. (It took me TWO RESTARTS).

There are two camps out there, those whose devices perform nominally like before ios10, and those who (like me) are affected by a bug where unlocking the device takes two steps instead of one. Instead of assuming it was a bug, because there is now a new unlock animation along with instructions on how to unlock on the screen, we thought it was a new way to unlock the phone.

For those in my group, restart your phone to fix it. It has taken me two restarts to fix (which was another reason why i didn't think of a bug being a possibility).

For those that are genuinely trying to help: thank you. For those in multiple threads trying to refute the bug..look, it's clearly affecting a lot of people. It's a waste of time to explain over and over again. Just acknowledge the bug, suggest a restart and move on.

For those taking this personally and being passive aggressive in their insults. lol.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
It's very consistent for me. It does the same thing every time. It unlocks the phone.

Mine unlocks the phone too. By inconsistent, I mean that you have to press the home button a couple times before the getting to the home screen.

Since downloading beta 2, I pick up the phone, press the home button, the screen goes to the passcode screen, i press the home button again, then i go to the home screen.

This order of events is very consistent for me. I guess i could try a fresh install, but i'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Oh well, beta is beta.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

that's how it still works on my device. have a look at the video I posted on page 2 or so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.