Restart after wake Mac Pro - Did you send yours back?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Mar 1, 2008.

?

What to do with a restart on wake mac pro?

1. Take it back

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Keep it and hope for a software fix

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi,

I have an Octo 2.8 MP, 880GT, 500GB, wifi, 2gb stock ram. It has restarted on boot twice, once soon after i opened it up, and then i couldn't recreate it and must have let it sleep 30 times since then (i've only had it since tuesday). Couldn't recreate - until just now. So that's two altogether.

I've read all the threads and still haven't gotten anywhere. I don't want my 14 days to expire and lose my opportunity to return the computer...

So seriously, what to do?

Take it back, or hope for a firmware/software update?

Cheers for your thoughts, i know this topic is being done to death, but no one seems to be getting anywhere - including apple.

2. aibo macrumors 6502

mine's never had that problem, but did you try resetting the SMC?

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi, not yet - i'll do it now man.

But it happens so rarely for me, i can't really be sure if the reset has done anything for ages, or if it would have gone quiet anyways...

I've read people saying it didn't work for them..

But yeah, I'm going to do it now, cheers.

4. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Ah, i see all you do is unplug all the cables for a bit.

Well, the other day i pulled the power cable out, overnight, for other reasons, and it still just happened so...

I just unplugged EVERYTHING for 5 minutes, so we'll see. I also did a PRAM reset and trashed the powermanagement preferences...

But i wonder what apple will do if it's a hardware problem? I can't really believe that is hardware, there would have to be a massive hardware recall?

5. deathshrub macrumors 6502

If your hardware is defective, I would recommend returning it. I had this issue and returned it to Apple. My replacement will arrive on Monday.

The fact that there are users NOT experiencing the reboot after sleep problem leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

Keep us posted.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

i have 2x2,8 2gb+2gb aftermarket, 320gb + 750gb aftermarket.
    had no issues what soever with wake after sleep,
    not on 10.5.1 nor on 10.5.2.
    i've fiddled with all the settings i've found, its just me :)

i say it would be good if you contact apple, seems like many users experienced problems with that, some were able to fix it as i recall... it should be in an older thread

7. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Mine rebooted from sleep 3 times until I reset the Pram and did the SMC. However when I awake my computer on most occasions the fans briefely start up and it takes a second or two before the Mac awakes.

I did call Apple Care just to register with them that I'd been having this problem just in case this issue should return.

The debate is still open as to whether it is a hardware or software issue. I have had my computer sleep a couple of times when it's been in boot camp windows and it awoke just like it should.

If my Mac Pro was constantly having this problem I would have already returned it by now. Will I be taking out the 3 year Apple Care? You bet!

8. ampauxq macrumors newbie

I've had that occur also about three times when I first got the machine. Hasn't happened in about a month now... I thought it was fixed with 10.5.2
    Nevertheless the fans do turn upon waking. Doesn't really bother me.

9. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I'll call apple and 'let them know' that there's a problem, just so that there can be lots of complaints, and hopefully slightly quicker action.

But i've done the resets and i can't get it to restart on wake now, but i'll be sure to report back here if/when it does... :rolleyes:

10. glhiii macrumors regular

Use first bay for start-up

I had the rebooting problem after sleep, but it went away after I reset the PRAM and moved my start-up disk to the first bay. Note this is the bay that automatically starts after resetting the PRAM (if you have a bootable disk in it). Still won't go to sleep automatically.

11. bigbird macrumors 6502

What about the users who had the sleep/reboot problem, reset the SMC and PRAM, and the issue disappeared (like me)? How could that be a hardware issue?

12. siorai macrumors 6502

Exactly. I only reset the PRAM and the problem went away.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

(a) There could be more than one cause of this. I.e., in some
    cases it's a hardware issue, in some cases not.

(b) The SMC and/or PRAM might be faulty, and that's why it
    needs resetting.

etc etc.

14. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i exchanged mine and the new one is doing it also.

i'm not sure what to do at this point. other than this issue, it runs like a dream. it'd be tough for me to go back to not have it, so the idea of returning the new one and waiting until the problem is fixed doesn't really sound to good.....

15. HoppyToad macrumors newbie

What I find strange

is that my G4 iMac running 10.4.11 started waking up in the middle of the night after I installed an OS updater, maybe 6 weeks ago. I reset the power controller (or whatever it's called), and that fixed it. Is it just coincidence that I had this problem at the same time that people are reporting power controller problems with their Mac Pros? It not, then the problem seems to be software related, but not confined to Leopard. QuickTime perhaps? iTunes? One of the security fixes? I'm anxious to get a Mac Pro, but hesitant to buy one until the problem is resolved.

16. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Don't ask me, I don't have a friggin clue. I wish that I did know so that I didn't have to be without my Mac for a week while Apple replaces it.

Apple needs to be asked this question, not me.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

i had no problem damn it. perhaps it was a software issue, mine sleeps as a baby and wakes up when i click the mouse, if i have a fairly empty desktop (dunno, safari, messenger, iTunes) it wakes up in about 2to 4 seconds

18. designer22 macrumors member

I have had this problem from the start, and have had a few conversations with AppleCare. The last time I spoke with a level 2 person, they told me engineering was very aware of this issue and would be issuing an update fix "soon"......how soon is anyone's guess, but at least it's a definite known issue...I'm gonna hang tight as exchanging does not fix anything; it just messes up my work life.

19. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I have reset the PRAM and the problem went away for just a little while. It is now back and it seems to happen when I am using a lot of memory. Like when I am using Photoshop or a program like that that is very memory intensive. I have yet to call Apple, hoping a fix is on the way, but it seems inevitible that I am going to have to call. Way to much money to have issues.

20. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I'm in the same boat as you and will wait it out.

21. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

22. hulkss macrumors newbie

Called Apple about reboot on wake from sleep

My new Mac Pro 2008 is now doing the occasional reboot on wake from sleep.

Called Apple today. The nice lady said.

This is a known problem.
    Engineering is working on it.
    It is a software problem.
    My name is now on a list to get an email as soon as a fix is available.
    She did not recommend that I try to fix it myself in any way.
    Sorry but please work around the issue for now.

OK, I can live with this minor issue for now.

23. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

OK cool.

Unfortunately, mine has to go back though.

I was getting issues with a piece of audio hardware (SSL Duende) in logic pro. I thought it was a software issue, but another user of the hardware and a 2008 mac pro doesn't have any problems with bouncing his audio down.

So i ran the apple hardware test - extended - off the apple CD. Passed the 'extended' test off the cd. No problems. Cool.

Shut down, tried to boot up again. Wouldn't get past the gray screen. The CD is still in the drive but not much is happening. I don't think the

Tried to press T or C or D to try and get it to boot to do anything - no dice, gray screen. Tried PRAM reset, unplugging everything for 5 mins, and moving the Hard Drive to bay 2. No dice.

I guess i'll have to call apple tomorrow, and try to get a new replacement. Really gutted. Especially since i have people wanting to buy the G5 but i can't let it go right now because i have nothing to switch to (that works). Apple are gonna take at least a week or two to get a new machine to me..

Really gutted.

24. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I think it happened to me for the first time over the weekend (I received my Mac Pro in on the 22nd of Feb). The machine had been up for some time, after lots of video encoding, VMs, etc.

I selected sleep from the drop-down menu on the toolbar, and the system appeared to lock up a bit, then just suddenly rebooted. Or it actually briefly went to sleep, and awoke from the movement of my mouse, only to crash/reboot.

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue since, as it has been put to sleep and woken flawlessly.

Is this pretty much the same problem other users are having, or is it unique?

Either way, it's ridiculous.

25. TFT macrumors member

Happened twice after almost two weeks of no problems.

I will be eager to get a sw fix (if that is it) but in the meantime can smebody tell a MAcPro noob how the PMC/PRAM are reseted?

I will need to do it anyhow when I will finally plug in the new RAM.

Thanks.