Restarting is great

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
It might just be me, but doesn't restarting make everything run so much more smoother? I feel so fresh when I restart, because everything is blazing fast, and no problems with anything occur. I should really restart more often...
What are your thoughts? Does restarting help you guys, as much as it helps me?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Used to be once or twice a day. Now I'm trying to break the habit.
Down to a few times a week now :D
And yeah, it seems to run so much better with the frequent restarts. Maybe not as much as a Windows PC, but still better

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
i dont like restarting, only do it when required because takes to long to load and for me it isnt that faster in fact it feels slower

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I restart once or twice a week, just to clean things up a bit... when you're running a bit low on HD space that's actually noticeably...

Tiger is getting better though, up to and including 10.4.4 I more or less had to restart several times daily, because OS X literally used to "eat up" resources and only release it again through a restart... with 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 much of this appears to have been fixed, though, but I still like to restart every now and then, my poor old iBook seems to like that... ;)

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
semaja2 said:
i dont like restarting, only do it when required because takes to long to load and for me it isnt that faster in fact it feels slower

Go buy an Intel Machine. Speedy Sppedy:cool: ;) :p

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I only restart when the power goes out or I go away for the weekend. But I usually sleep it every night.

Its been up (with naps) for like 3 weeks now. Not that I am one of those "my uptime is bigger than yours" kind of guys, I really don't care. I just don't see a difference in rebooting.

Except on my windows system, that I reboot daily! :D

cherfizzle

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Waterford, New York
G99 said:
It might just be me, but doesn't restarting make everything run so much more smoother? I feel so fresh when I restart, because everything is blazing fast, and no problems with anything occur. I should really restart more often...
What are your thoughts? Does restarting help you guys, as much as it helps me?
Yes it does seem like that!
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for posting this.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
My machine is exactly as fast after a restart (which I hardly ever do) as it is before. If you're finding a noticeable improvement after restarting, that means something is going wrong. Probably a program has a memory leak or something.

--Eric

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
cherfizzle said:
Yes it does seem like that!
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for posting this.
There are some strange things that I think are not purely imagination... for instance, on my iBook, at least, free HD space goes down by ~1.5-2 GB over the course of a month without rebooting. And stuff does seem to slow down, as others have stated. With a reboot, I get that 2 gigs back. And the speed. Hmmm....

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
mkrishnan said:
There are some strange things that I think are not purely imagination... for instance, on my iBook, at least, free HD space goes down by ~1.5-2 GB over the course of a month without rebooting. And stuff does seem to slow down, as others have stated. With a reboot, I get that 2 gigs back. And the speed. Hmmm....
That space is virtual memory that built up over time. OS X rarely overwrites inactive virtual memory if you have more hard drive space available. It is freed on reboot.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I actually am gonna try to not restart my mini for a while...I ran out of the 100 gigs of space I have in there, and at least this way I know I still have over a gig left with all my apps open. Once I restart, who knows what it'll look like.

On a side note, once I broke the reboot habit by getting a mac, I find I just sleep my XP laptop a lot more than I turn it off, and it's still very stable. Who would've thunk that it took OS X to make me realize how stable XP is and how bad of a rep it gets.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pistol Pete said:
well it helps because it frees up all of the ram....
See, now, between this and what Grapes said... my impression is that, as far as real RAM is concerned, actually just closing all of your programs and giving the system a few seconds to garbage collect, should be enough. Cleaning the VM file is another issue, I guess, but....

Anyway, I do think emptying out VM on reboot seems to help.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ChrisFromCanada said:
I don't like restarting because I have to reload dashboard and it doesn't feel any faster, but that could be because with 4GB of RAM there is always enough free RAM so clearing it is pointless.
You probably have a lot less VM usage than my iBook does. ;) Or at least less page-ins.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
when i used a PC for my primary back then i would restart it a few times a day. now with my powerbook, i usually restart it once a week. the gig of ram just keeps everything running smoothly no matter what, and of course OS X. i only restart if its running terribly slow (never happens) or i just installed a game

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
ohh yah restarting, that thing only pc's have todo...:rolleyes:
i only restart after some of the updates or when i crash the computer.
Now i deserve this from running WoW, procesing video, and watching hi-def H.264 videos all at the same time...

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
What's wrong with just shutting down everyday?

I don't understand why restarting/shutting down is so frowned down upon? I normally leave my PB for the whole day and shut it down at night. What's a minute for turning on a computer (and about 15 seconds for dashboard)?

At least for me, I think psychologically restarting makes the computer seem snappier because IMO I don't think it made any difference. :confused:

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
when i'm at school i almost never bother to restart...

at home now though, i probably restart at least a few times a week. generally after having run onyx. i wouldn't ever say there's been much of a noticeable difference in performance, but it sure is a great way to fight boredom. (i spent many hours of procrastination in high school manually cleaning sh*t out the registry on my old windows box).

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I only bother to restart after a software update, or when the PowerBook is starting to feel sluggish, which is generally once every month or two. I restarted the other day when I realised it had been up 51 days and Safari was being really slow. The iMacs generally stay up longer (that's when they're not restarting by themselves :rolleyes: )