Restarting the Computer.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Virgo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I have a Windows 7 Partition on my MacBook Pro. Every time I restart my computer, be it from Windows or from the Macintosh HD side, if I leave it alone after hitting restart, it always boots up Windows. If I want it to go into Mac, I have to wait there and hold Option, then click Macintosh HD.

How can I make it so that by default, if I restart in Windows, it boots into Windows, and if I restart from Mac, it boots into Mac? This seems logical to me... argh.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's only one default possible. It's set in (in OS-X) System Preferences > Startup Disk. There's a corresponding Windows version as part of the Apple tool set.

Since I use OS-X the most, that's what Startup Disk is set to. When I want to boot to Windows, I just use Opt on restart to select it. That way, I don't need to worry about which system the default was last set to.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Thanks. I also use OS-X way more often, so having that as the default will suffice. I would always reboot and walk away only to be surprised by a Windows log-in screen and having to reboot again.. ha. On the rare occasions where I need Windows, I'll remember to hold Opt.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MR's own kainjow has a small app called BootChamp http://kainjow.com/ which lives in the Task Bar and lets you pick the OS to boot from on a one time basis.

Really useful!

http://kainjow.com/

B

6. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

+1 Bootchamp