Restocking fee on mac computers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samk8000, Sep 11, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Today I went to the apple store so excited thinking that I would come home with a brand new MacBook Pro as my first mac. I am currently typing this on a pc because of the 10% restocking fee. I thought that if I didn't like the mac, I could return it for a full refund. So now, I am wondering if there is any way to get around this fee.
    Thanks for any help

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not if you opened it and are using it.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. JS2C macrumors newbie

That really depends on the store manager. I bought a 13" MBP and used it, then I exchanged for a 15". Perhaps because I'm upgrading...

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's a lot different than returning it because you don't like it.

6. bamf macrumors 6502

If it's broken they will sometimes wave the fee. If it's buyer's remorse they usually do not.

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Well... if you don't like it because you got a 13" but decided in a couple days that you wanted a 15" or 17" one... then I bet they would wave that fee seeing as your upgrading. Otherwise... keep doing research to make sure its what you really want. Its a pretty big commitment.

8. gameface macrumors 6502

So Apple should let you use a machine and just because you don't like it they should eat the money to sell it as a refurb? That's what the fee is for.

9. altecXP macrumors 65816

HP does that. If you dont like your HP in under 15 days I think it is you can return it for a 100% refund. Even if its custom ordered.

10. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I would suggest to just try out the computer at an apple store or best buy until you are convinced before you actually make the purchase.

11. jwestpro macrumors member

You are sounding like a foolish person in this post. Either say why you are not sure, or in what way you may not "like the mac".

I know it can help to sort out your priorities but you have not listed any other than being concerned about a small play time fee. I say "small" because if you cannot afford the fee, you cannot truly afford the mbp either.

You must know there is very little to not "like" about the MBP so are we to assume you are freaking out over the $? It's an entirely valid concern and if you have twinges about it, by all means do not open that box, sit on the idea a day, and look at your alternatives.

Apparently you are able to use the internet, as you said by way of the other laptop. Do you "neeeed" a mac book pro? Do you need a new computer at all? Must it be a pro, a mac, or even a purchase? Can you get by for a while without it?

If money is a real concern, do not loose sleep over wasting it on a machine, a new one especially. Go used, refurbished, etc.

A little food for thought, unless you must have a fancy computer to make $ with, do something else with the $.... 8 years ago, buying a new mac book pro, not called that then ;) was roughly $4000 all maxed out like mine was, instead that same $ in Apple stock is now worth over $120,000.... what should you do with your thousands this week?

Only you can answer that.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If one could get a 100% refund, I'm pretty sure some folks would be buying and returning computers every 2 weeks just for kicks.

That's no way to do business.

13. existe macrumors member

existe

If you are a Silver member with Best Buy you can buy a Mac and return it without a restocking fee.

14. scrace89 macrumors member

then buy an HP, i bought 2 HP Envy 17s from them, both had problems out of the box, within 10 minutes of use. If you really want to be able to return something I suggest buying an HP because they make cheap computers, I'm sure you'll get a chance to return something due to the poor build quality.

After dealing with HP, I am very happy with the MBP 17 and would not change my decision, mac osx > windows 7. I was using a PC all my life until now (I'm 21) I never thought I'd switch or think mac OS was better than windows.

15. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

How do you become a silver member?

16. altecXP macrumors 65816

Yeah and I have video cards die in Mac Pros left and right at work. Or the keyboards in the pre-unibody MacBook Pros that stop working because the battery gets warm. Or my brothers G4 Powerbook that had nearly everything but the LCD and HDD replaced in under 1 year.

You will never win an argument with me about Apple Quality. My co-worker literally bult his desk out of dead G5's. As far as I am concerened anyone that tries to justify Apple prices with "quality" are just ignorant to reality.

HP is number 1 in PC sales for a reason, it's probably the fact they make it so easy to get products fixed, and the quality of their Professional lines.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Hrm, the only non quality mac I've had (and I've had them since literally the very first one) was my last macbook (to be fair, I haven't had my current MBP long enough to say). I was very disappointed with that one, the hard drive died in a year (Just long enough the warranty was no longer valid, I mean within a month), the plastic cracked (and everyone I knew with one had that issue and it's one of the reasons I went with the MBP this time for the metal case), and the small plug that plugged into the power adaptor broke, and the fan died. It's three years old (fan died at 3 years). I will say I'm very disappointed with Apple on this one and hope it isn't some indication of quality going downhill. Oh yeah, the mac still works (glued the power adaptor, replaced the hard drive - current one works just fine, replaced the fan and the keyboard top case with a newer style keyboard even).

All my other ones have lasted me at least five years. I have a G4 being used as a bedside table that still works (I just have no reason to turn it on cause I have better computers. But when my MB's hard drive died I used it til I got the MB working again so I know it still works). It's 10 years old at this point.

And, I have never had issues with Mac keyboards. In my experience they take my abuse and keep going (spilled soup in one even). Trust me, I'm not kind on my keyboards and I bang pretty heavily when I type (I learned to type on non electric typewriters, apparently, it's pretty obvious when one has cause they tend to hit the keys pretty hard). So imho, mac keyboards are tough as nails. Shoot, I'm typing on my 10 year old keyboard that came with that G4 (it works with my PC and my Mac so I used that over my PC keyboard that was a PS2 connection, and it serves to turn my macbook into a desktop so I use it with the macbook as well).

Though their mouse designs have been sucky ever since the puck mouse (with the exception of the magic mouse which is the first apple mouse I've liked in a long time).

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought my first Dell computer when they were mail-order only. They had a 30-day full refund policy then, and all models were BTO, and it was a good thing as I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. I was really concerned when I bought my first Mac because of the awful return policy (even worse than the restocking fee, no returns at all with a BTO).

I spent over an hour in the Apple store running a 27" iMac through its paces (with photos and video files I brought from home) before I ordered. And I've spent some time in the store with other models first.

19. kevin612 macrumors newbie

If within 14 days then you can get full refund of course.
    I did want to refund my macbook pro when the updated version came out 3 weeks after I got my current macbook pro.
    But I search on forums that I cannot ask for upgrade so didn't do it.

I have the white macbook 2009 one and used just under 2 weeks.
    Still able to get full refund as I went to buy some other stuff :p

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not true.

Within 14 days, you can return it for a refund minus the restocking fee.

21. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

I would decided after you have give your 13" a good few hour son

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Why did you buy one anyway? When you could play on them in the store without paying $$. LMAO

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah, but..

Yet I notice the only computer you have listed is a 15" MBP.

24. cmhsam macrumors 6502

You have to spend a yearly spend of I believe $5K.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You're returning the hardware used. If you don't like Apple then use bootcamp and Windows 7. The build and hardware should never be returned, it's outstanding.