restore 5.0.1 after 5.1 is released

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by todd2fst4u, Jan 22, 2012.

1. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

I'm currently jailbroken on 5.0.1. How can I keep my jailbreak on 5.0.1 after Apple releases 5.1 if I need to restore? Should I make a custom firmware now just in case?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, first time jailbreaker here)

I'm using a Verizon iPhone 4

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just don't update to 5.1 if you want to keep your jailbreak. there are people here still on 4.2.1 on there I4's because they like the firmware. you can save shsh blobs with tinyumbrella etc but there is no way to downgrade right now once Apple stops signing 5.0.1 which will be as soon as 5.1 comes out.

3. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to restore the 5.0.1 firmware after 5.1 is out, assuming I haven't upgraded to 5.1? I realize I won't be able to downgrade if I update.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

once Apple stops signing it no. unless this gets fixed latter!

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

One of my friend used the "erase all content & setting" on her jailbroken phone and we all know what happen. I was not sure what the firmware on it nor it has any shsh blob save. So, I use iFaith to dump the shsh blob and built "signed" IPSW with/blob and restore to it. It brought back her phone with 4.1, 02.10 baseband so she can use Gevey sim to unlock.

Ifaith supports 5.0.1 as well. So, my recommendation is for you to use iFaith to build a "signed" IPSW for 5.0.1 for your phone and keep it somewhere safe so you can use it to downgrade your phone later if you want to do so.

6. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

This it the information I think I am looking for!
    So to clarify, using iFaith I can create a custom IPSW to use to restore my iPhone (5.0.1) once Apple releases 5.1? (Assuming I haven't upgraded to 5.1)

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, iFaith is a good idea for those with the iPhone 4. Those of use with the 4S, though, are out of luck.

8. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

iFaith appears to be a Windows program. Is there a Mac alternative to making a custom IPSW?

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is not creating customs firmware but rather "signed" firmware so you can restore your phone to it.

For example, if I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with 4.3.3 firmware on it with no blob. As we all know, Apple is no longer sign 4.3.3, therefore I can't restore my phone to that firmware but rather go up to 5.0.1. If I want to sell my phone with 4.3.3 (baseband 04.10) so other people can unlock it with Gevey sim and I want to erase all my information off the phone. I then use iFaith to build a "signed" 4.3.3 firmware and restore my phone to it. I now have a factory setting 4.3.3 phone ready to pass on.

10. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

You can use the latest redsn0w to do this.
    It will use the tiny umbrella SHSH with APTicket (get em now if you havent)
    redsn0w will verify them and stitch you a custom ipsw that only will work on your phone. You will need to use pwned DFU mode to restore it. It will give you a (1) error in itunes upon restore and you will need to run the redsn0w recovery fix to get the phone booting again. Then rejailbreak with redsn0w.

My current iphone4 is running 5.0.1 via this method (with no internet connection active to simulate apple not signing) to be sure that I had a working firmware to use down the road.

11. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a walk through of this method? How do I create the custom IPSW?

12. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

No, I dont know what happens..what does?

I was planning on doing that if my 4S ever acted up with the jailbreak lol. Though I have a 1G iPod Touch and had my 4.3.3 iPad Jailbroken, I never had problems where I had to make the decision.

13. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I had to figure out a lot by hand, but its all under the extras->SHSH section in redsn0w

You can fetch them off your phone, then verify them, submit them to cydia, and finally stitch your own ipsw.

Then on the main screen of extras, is where your can put your phone in pwned dfu and do the needed recovery fix as well.

Im sure once the 5.0.1.window is closed there will be a million tutorials for iphone4 users on how to do this.

The only thing you *HAVE* to do now is get you SHSHs. I would use tiny umbrella (latest version) and use redsn0w, just to be sure. And put em in a safe place (because cydia submitted ones, best I can tell, cant be used to stitch) although that will prob change down the road.

14. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You CANNOT restore to 5.0.1 when Apple stops signing it in lieu of 5.1. That's kind of their whole point of not allowing SHSHs to be used anymore. Everyone jailbroken has this concern, not just you.

15. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

This does not work, dont do it. The jailbreak moves stuff around and this deletes important files and makes the phone unbootable. IMO Its about time that that jailbreak devs removed this option when the phone is jailbroken and makes it so it does respond to remote issued commands as well.

----------

He has an iphone 4 so he can. It's only the iphone 4s and ipad 2 that cannot.

16. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You've got to be kidding me. You can not use SHSH blobs to restore as of 5.0. This is OS related not PROCESSOR related.

17. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I used TinyUmbrella to save my .SHSH
    Then I used redsn0w to submit my blobs to cydia(not sure what this does) and then stitched a custom .IPSW with my blobs.

Is this all I need to do?

Now if I need to restore after 5.1 is released, I enter PwnedDFU mode and restore using my custom IPSW (5.0.1 w/ my blobs stitched)? Then apply recovery fix?

18. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Don't ever do that to a jailbroken phone. It will hang at Apple logo and you will have to restore your phone.

19. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Yup that's what I did. (I also used redsn0w to grab them off the device using limera1n as well, just in case it did something tiny isnt able to. (which i doubt, but having that plist is just extra insurance)
    I think Cydia will eventually have a way to do something with these I think, even if it's just letting redsn0w fetch them and use em to build a custom firmware instead of using local blobs, but who knows.

20. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Why don't people listen?

21. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Well technically you are right, it takes SHSH *and* APtickets to do it. But it is most definitely possible. I restored 5.0 LONG after the signing window was closed on my iphone 4.

----------

No clue. I'm wondering that right now as I type.

22. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

How did you pull this off if it's impossible? You don't have the tickets.

23. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I have the tickets. Pulled em off the device with redsn0w.

24. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

I'm listening, but there is contradicting information. One person says it works, another says no it doesn't. :confused: