Restore from iCloud or Clean Install

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrosisN, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CrosisN macrumors member

CrosisN

I feel like with my iPhone6S + I had tons of battery issues these last few weeks with it draining very quickly.

Does a fresh install even matter?

2. vllygrrl macrumors newbie

vllygrrl

I've been having the same problem with my 6. I backed it up to iTunes and will try setting up the 7 as a new phone. I have my photos, mail and contacts all backed up to Google so all I should lose is messages and health data. If it doesn't work out right I will start over and restore.

3. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

My 6s+ has had battery issues too. I'm going to do a clean install on my 7+. I don't want to lose my messages though.. ugh..

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Clean install is always superior smoothness especially since its all in the cloud. I never back up my photos or messages either beyond iPhoto synching, I just move on without them.

Everything else is tied to my login.

5. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I always restore from backup. No issues can faster setup. My phone has all text messages and photos since the iPhone 5.

The "clean install is better" is just a placebo effect.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well I can't do either. I've tried both ways for the past 7 hours and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm just going to send it back.

7. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Placebo. LOL. I started over on my 6 last week and recovered 3 GBs of space.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

No its not lol. iOS is near flawless but it still doesnt fix basics principles of storage and memory loading.

The OS isn't magic. It can still slow down the more you load onto it.

9. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Clean install always the way to go. For both iPhones and iPad. I've seen noticeable improvements when doing a clean install using iTunes.

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I restored from iTunes encrypted backup. Took less than 10 minutes.

11. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

To each their own. I prefer convenience along with not losing anything.

It's just like the people who think "closing" all of their apps is better for their phone. This isn't Windows 95 we're talking about here. There is no slowdown or bogging the system down.

12. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Always clean install for me, takes like 30 mins to get back to normal.

14. wxnats macrumors 6502a

I decided to do a fresh install. Felt cleaner. ;)

15. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

16. junebug1 macrumors regular

junebug1

Personally do clean installs on any new Apple device I get and always feel like my Macs/iPhones/iPads have less issues and run better than my friends and family - it all could just be in my own head though.

17. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

Always a clean install.

18. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Restoring! keeping my photos and videos. Never had issues

19. marcos8 macrumors newbie

Last time I went from my 5s to 6s I set up as new since I always read it was the best way to avoid potential problems...and then used a Wifi transfer app on both phones to get all my old photos from the old phone to the new phone. My contacts and calendars showed up after logging in to iCloud. I re downloaded apps directly from the App Store. My new phone wound up with everything I wanted ( didn't care about texts) and I was able to get it by not restoring from a backup. Syncing later with my iMac got my music back to where I wanted it on the new phone. I haven't had any problems and didn't lose any pics in the transition which was always my gripe when facing what to do with a new phone while not having to start a new phone on an old backup.

20. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I restore from backup - need/greatly prefer messages back on my iPhone.

21. AFgixxer macrumors member

AFgixxer

The only reason I don't do clean installs is due to losing text messages. Pictures can be saved to dropbox and added back on the phone.

22. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

This always confused me... I realize you lose your text messages,but won't you get all your photos back if you are iCloud for photo backup? Maybe you (and others) are not syncing photos with iCloud?

23. Xodd macrumors regular

I want to do a clean install. However whats the best way to transfer contacts over?

24. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

If you have your phone setup to sync via iCloud, all your contacts will download when you enable iCould after setting up the phone.

25. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I was going to restore but I had so much crap on my 6+ and my battery was so bad that I decided to do a fresh install and I'm loving it, seems so much more organized and clean now!