restore ip4 tonight and re-jb ???s

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
i want to restore my ip4 tonight to see if it fixes any bugs i have been having and then will re jailbreak it again tonight. whats the best way to do this?

my last back up was an hour be for i jailbroke it sunday. do you recommend me back up tonight before i restore but change the iphone name to, ie jailbrokeiphone backup, or something.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
IMO it's always better to set up as a new phone, as some of the bugs you're experiencing could be restored to the device through the backup.

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
how do you restore as a new phone, then put your last back up back on it. i have never done that before.

Comment

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
After you restore your phone it usually asks you if you would like to restore from backup, or setup as new phone.

Restoring from backup will give you a list of backups you can pick from. In iTunes on the left side where is displays your phone - right click - restore to backup

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
alright, im restoring right now. hope this helps with the bugs. i should have no problem jailbreaking again right?

Comment

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
alright, im restoring right now. hope this helps with the bugs. i should have no problem jailbreaking again right?
Shouldn't. What bugs were you having before anyway? I do not have any, but be aware many JB apps are NOT yet iPhone 4 ready. Themes are broken, small icons, etc

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
so i restored from my last back up, pre jailbreak. but when it was done restoring it still had cydia and all the jailbroken apps. why????

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Because you restored from your JB backup.
Restore and setup as new next time.
Nothing will be there.
so is it too late now then. thats what i thought but the guy above me said to restore from back up.

how can i restore as new but then get everything back pre jb?

Comment

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
so is it too late now then. thats what i thought but the guy above me said to restore from back up.

how can i restore as new but then get everything back pre jb?
As I noted, you would need to restore to a backup prior to JB. Do a full restore, then when the phone is empty restore to a backup PRE JB

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
i thought i did, i have backed up my phone since i jailbroke, i think.

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
can i see the list of back ups without restoring yet to see them all?

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, on itunes go to edit/preferences/devices and you should see device backups listed there.
so i tried it again and it still did it. i still have all the jailbreak apps.

do i need to restore as new iphone and then can i choose the back up that i want after restoring?

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
so i tried it again and it still did it. i still have all the jailbreak apps.

do i need to restore as new iphone and then can i choose the back up that i want after restoring?
No, dont choose the backup at all.
Just setup as new.
Every time you restore from backup you will get the same things back again.

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
but if i set up as new, wont i have nothing on my iphone? no contacts, apps, texts, anything?

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
but if i set up as new, wont i have nothing on my iphone? no contacts, apps, texts, anything?
Thats correct.
If you synced your contacts with address book on your computer thru itunes you can sync them back.
Also apps, music, ringtones and many others you also sync back thru itunes.
Texts, and saved app data will be gone.

Comment

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
No, dont choose the backup at all.
Just setup as new.
Every time you restore from backup you will get the same things back again.
If he setup as new, then reverted to a backup that was created BEFORE he jailbroke then he should be fine. Thats so he would not have to recreate all his folders, settings, etc.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If he setup as new, then reverted to a backup that was created BEFORE he jailbroke then he should be fine. Thats so he would not have to recreate all his folders, settings, etc.
Yes, correct.
If he got previous restore points he can click the little drop down arrow when he selects restore from backup to select any earlier version. It will display the date it was done on.

Comment

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
ok, im doing that now, i did like through the device back ups and there is a back up pre jail break :D. i didnt copy over it! so im restoring now, then set up as new phone, then i guess i can restore with the pre jb back up, correct?

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
ok, im doing that now, i did like through the device back ups and there is a back up pre jail break :D. i didnt copy over it! so im restoring now, then set up as new phone, then i guess i can restore with the pre jb back up, correct?
NOOOOOOOO :D
After you restore from that old preJB backup you dont setup as new.
You're doing the same vicious cycle.
You either restore from backup or setup as new.
You cant do both.
Im done for the night:D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.