Restore to box condition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comda, Oct 19, 2016.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings.

Due to certain circumstances I'm forced to sell my retina macbook pro. What i wish to do is revert it to factory standard. Specifically, so that it was like when i got it and the new owner can have the ilife and iWork package that i got.

I heard doing a network recovery does that. So thats what I'm doing. But what i question is how can I do the network recovery, then update the machine to Sierra keeping the goodies without logging into my apple id or anything on the machine?

2. mklnz macrumors regular

I think it doesn't really matter if you enter your apple ID when doing a network installation, that's simply to authenticate you to download the OS itself. Simply use disk utility to format your drive and do a clean install. Turn off your machine once it gets to the get started screen. Make sure on icloud.com the machine has been removed from your account. This is how I've always done it.

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

yeah i got all that. but i can't seem to get ilife and iWork for it like i did when new. I don't want to log into it but isn't there a way to get it for the next owner?

4. mklnz macrumors regular

Ah yes, I haven't done this in awhile but I think it depends on the age of your Mac. I can't remember on top of my head when they started offering iWork for free (please do a search). If your computer is purchased after that date, the new owner is eligible regardless if you have redeemed it or not. If it's before that date then he/she will need to still purchase it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No there is not. Those apps are tied to your AppleID and the new owner will need to pay for the apps to get them.

When you get a new Mac out of the box, those apps are preinstalled, then when you login to the Mac App Store those apps are "claimed" and tied to your AppleID.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just use Apple's own factory reset setting in OS Sierra.

7. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i had a problem with imac and missing softwares. apple told me to log in with the other apple id and install those missing softwares through that account. it was wierd but did what they said. I quess it doesnt matter to them when those softwares are free nowadays.

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Thanks for the help guys. All is well. Appreciate the help.