Restored, updated and disabled iphone4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Flip1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Flip1 macrumors newbie

I have an iphone4 that I believe was Jailbroken, just by the look of the lock screen, but I did a restore and an update (4.2) and now it tells me that it needs a sim card for the carrier it's locked to.

1) how do I figure out what carrier it's locked to when I can't open my settings/ anything.
    2) I'm in canada so there is only a handful of carries it could be, but can I get prepaid simcards or activate it and unlock it?

Thanks for the help.

2. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

How do you not know for sure if it was jailbroken or not?

Sounds dodgy to me.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

How do we know its even his phone and he didnt find / steal it?

4. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

That's what I was getting at ;)

5. threezero macrumors 6502

Either way you are screw. Can't unlock now that you are on 4.2.1 only solution is to find out what carrier is on and than use it on that carrier. Should of done your research. If it was indeed Jb before it could of been already unlock. Now you won't be getting an unlock anytime soon.

My bet is that u got the phone and couldn't figure out how to get pass the password screen so you just updated ;) try not to buy stolen stuff next time or just stick to stolen cloth

6. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

1st
    I don't like to be accused of stealing.
    The phone was obtained by myself legally, other then that I don't know the phones history.
    2nd
    I myself have a jailbroken iPhone and knows the signs/giveaways ie carrier said "kush"

7. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Where did you got the phone?

If it was from ebay and is from the U.S, then it's locked to At&t. If that's the case your pretty much screwed till an unlock for the current baseband comes out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think its from Canada since the iPhones overthere are factory unlocked.

8. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

If it was obtained legally you should have no problem finding out any information you need from the original owner.

Can you explain where you got the phone from?

If I am mistaken and this is completely legit then I apologise, but it sounds far to sketchy for my liking!

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Stop accusing the OP of stealing, that's seriously lame. We have no idea if he/she did or not, I don't care about the "telltale signs". I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say this:

Create a custom IPSW: Pwnagetool on a Mac, Sn0wbreeze on a PC. Create a custom IPSW, restore to it. That'll get you activated and jailbroken at least. As for your unlock, you're pretty much out of luck because it upgraded your BB.

10. threezero macrumors 6502

Canada sells locked phone too. It Is only factory unlock if brought off contract from the apple store. Otherwise it is lock to it's respective carrier.

I don't think you stole the phone. I think you purchased a stolen item whether you know it or not. Not judging u. My buddy brought a 32gb ip4 from "unknown" source for $250 Canadian and it's sitting here collecting dust Becuz it's lock phone not from the 3 major carrier... Sometimes a good deal isn't a good deal.

11. Gavernty macrumors 6502

Hold up.... the MacRumor Police are here this is now a crime scene. Detective Tokes Green and Mystikal on duty

12. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Haha :D

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

As I said, I apologise if I was off the mark.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Get your buddy to sell that thing on eBay as is, haha.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Actually, in Canada (where I live), iPhones are carrier locked, but we have 3 or 4 carriers that supply them. Apple does not have an exclusivity contract with any company here. Also, unlike the USA, we are able to order factory unlocked iPhones directly from Apple's website. Currently retailing:

8GB iPhone 3GS Black - $549
    16GB iPhone 4 - $659
    32GB iPhone 4 - $779

15. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awawdee:
    Where in canada are you? are these Sn0wbreeze files easy?

As said before, Any prior info from me getting the phone is unknown.
    i did a skilltrade related favor for a family member, and he didnt have cash, and knowning i am handy with electrionics, he gave me this iphone4.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I'm from the East but I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere.

For sn0wbreeze, what you have to do is go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and download 4.1 for the iPhone 4. go to www.ih8sn0w.com and download sn0wbreeze 2.1. run sn0wbreeze, it'll create a jailbroken IPSW (firmware file), and then it will put your phone into pwned DFU state. Then (if you're running Windows), go to C:>Windows>System32>Drivers>etc>and open a file called "Hosts" in Notepad. You might have to open Notepad as administrator and then open "hosts" but yeah. Paste "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the end of the document, without the quotation marks obviously. Then go to iTunes and (with your phone still in pwned DFU (the phone will look like it's turned off)) click shift+restore. A window will open, browse to your desktop and retrieve the sn0wbreeze IPSW that SB created. Restore to it. Voila.

Unfortunately, you will still be unable to unlock your phone so it's locked to whatever carrier it's locked to, for the meantime.

17. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

seems almost easy.

atleast then i should be able to turn it on and see what carrier its locked too, i hope.

** Edit **
    Its on 4.2.1, is that gonna be an issure for sn0w?

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

No, because you're creating a jailbroken 4.1 IPSW, from the IPSW that you downloaded from Felix Bruns. When Sn0wbreeze puts your iPhone into pwned DFU state, this allows you to restore to custom firmware (as well as downgrade). The fact that you are currently on 4.2.1 does not make a difference.

19. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, makes sence.

Now my "host" file doesnt want to save in the system32 folder.

20. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Breeze wont run the "steps" and the phone doesnt want to go to DFU mode....

Grrr

21. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

23. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Go to your start menu, rick click on Notepad, "Run as Administrator".
    File>Open>search for the hosts file. Then it will allow you to save it. I'm assuming that you're running Vista or 7? If you're running XP then you shouldn't have to do this at all.

24. Flip1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Got the 1600 errors to clear
    Now I get to the snowbreeze screen (on the phone) and iTunes gives me an error 14....
    Eff