Restoring data after going 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bova80, May 5, 2010.

1. bova80 macrumors 6502a

It seems anytime i go 4.0 beta when i restore it never brings back my photos or texts. what gives? anyone else have this issue?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's a beta, it will not work as expected. You shouldn't be using it if you are not a developer.

3. bova80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

I believe the stock response goes something like this: It's a BETA. It's not supposed to work!

Helpful, isn't it? ;)

Seriously though, I haven't tried restoring on either Beta 1 or Beta 3. As a rule, I set up as a new phone whenever I install beta OSes. It avoids unnecessary complications.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either post in apple's developer forum, or just chalk it up to using a beta OS. Apple makes it very clear that this is only for testing purposes and not for your main phone. People are using it on their everyday phone, and that's fine, but you also need to expect bugs, hiccups and issues.

I'm in the developer program myself, but I've refrained from installing the first three betas. This current one looks pretty stable, so I may jump on the next one, but I may not since I need to rely on my phone.

6. davidChief macrumors regular

davidChief

All of my texts (and everything else) came back just fine when I restored a backup.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you have nothing useful to offer, why post at all?

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Some developers like to hang out here. Their posts are informative and helpful to us. Please don't suggest that they stop. They may just leave due to all the rude jerks around here.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

What steps did you take?

You gotta do a restore to 4.0 and then restore from your backup.

If you want your 4.0 data on 3.1.3, unfortunately you can't do that.