Restoring does NOT erase jailbreak.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ouimetnick, May 11, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So Im at my local apple store right now. My iPhone has the glass not sitting flush issue. The Genius aka a nice friend replaced it, and it was fine. I asked him about jailbreaking, as mine was until I restored it. He said that even when restored, it still keeps that info. I did a DFU restore. He claims that when plugged into the MacBook they had, a program called behavior scan will detect the iPhone has been jail broken, even it you had erased the phone through restoring it. Behavior scan is really cool. It tells you EVERYTHING abut your device. He refused to plug mine in, As when then program detects the jailbreak, it send the info along with the serial number to Big Steve, and Apple HQ will void the warranty. He has a jail broken iPhone too. So do several other employees. Just chiming in to let you know about the info I found out tonight.

PS I typed this on a demo 16GB iPad 3G.

2. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Do you have any idea!

How many of us have taken jailbroken and unlocked iPhones that were restored into Apple. Some of us have done it several times. I even took a jb phone in and was told to restore it and bring it back in. Apple rarely refuses warrenty. Maybe it sends a text MSG right to Steve Jobs a JB alert.

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

That is a bit concerning, I used the spirit jailbreak, and then restored about 30 seconds later as I couldn't find anything I wanted to do with the jailbreak.

Lucky I got my iPhone insured so I can get it replaced if it breaks and Apple won't replace it because I jailbroke it for a minute.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

6. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I should point out, that he replaced the front glass assembly only. This assembly included the display, glass, ear piece, home button,

7. pkdoyle macrumors member

I am sitting here trying to comprehend this. Who jailbrakes their phone before they know why they are bothering to do it in the first place? :confused:

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It seems to me that it is just reading data put on the phone when you 'restore' your data after a firmware upgrade. The iTunes backup routine backs up the cydia preferences.

Seems to me that if you do a firmware upgrade but leave the phone blank you'd be ok.

It'll catch out casual users but not people who know what they are doing. Otherwise good to know :)

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I second this. Unless Apple is doing on the fly file carving at the shop, there's no way to tell you have been previously jailbroken if you:

1. Use DFU mode and restore a stock Apple Firmware.
    2. Configure the phone as NEW and not restore any prior backups. :)

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

And restores after 30 seconds? That's not even enough time to go to Cydia and install anything.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is what I do. If there's a way to tell, I'd like to know how.

That's just weird.

12. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

This

</thread>

13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I call BS. I've taken atleast 4 phones back over the years that were all JB'd. Never once was I asked.

I know they can tell how long it's been running the current OS on it. Cause I've been told " So you just updated it 3 days ago"?

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Now people are going to be scared to JB. It makes sense that they can detect it but so what. If I worked at apple I would have a JB phone.

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well they'll only be scared if they believe this FUD info. Of course apple are going to say they can detect jail breaks. It doesn't mean they actually can.

16. bradenwh macrumors 6502

They cannot tell if you've been jailbroken if you do a DFU restore. They might if you restore from a backup, but not clean restored.

END OF STORY.

17. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Me, and you know why?

Because every thread on every forum I have found goes like this with JB Threads;

Q: What is the benefit of Jailbreaking and what can I do with it?

Answer 1: Sorry, Jailbreaking is naughty, thread locked.

Answer 2: HAHAHA N00bz0r you are teh suxz0r you don't even know, and we sure as hell won't tell you!

So, in short, I tried it to see if it was worth while, then found I can do all I need with the current OS the way it is.

And those doubting the ability to do anything in 30 seconds, well yes, it was an exageration on my part, I played for a couple of minutes, didn't find anything through Cydia that I couldn't already do with a non JB phone (that I actually cared about).

18. suss2it macrumors regular

Well two minor, but still useful (to me) things I like about jailbraking is the flashlight app that automatically goes to the brightest setting when you go into the app, and five-icon dock.

19. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I might start a new thread asking what people do with their JB iphone.

I am an IT admin, and I mainly use it for RDP and VNC over VPN and a it of twitter and alot of email.

20. nexus14 macrumors member

21. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I am sorry, I can't ******** as I don't know what it says behind the stars...

22. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Man, you didn't look nearly hard enough then. There is so much stuff in cydia that makes the experiance so much better it's amazing. Bitesms is one that I just found and is amazing! This is the messaging that the iphone should have come with. 10x better than stock. All I know is I WON'T GO BACK TO JAIL!!

23. azsprty macrumors 6502

I agree. I mean what the **** is *********. Is that a secret language? ;)

I second the ********. I have taken in a few jb phones for repairs and they have even scanned them and wala.....nothing. And I got a new phone

24. Lambros macrumors regular

I had a problem with my iPhone 3G, restored firmware and if i remember correctly, restored all my settings/contacts/etc all back on. then i took it in, and for those of you who had hardware issues, i had several. however, one of my issues was related to disconnecting to service provider a lot. So, what did the mac genius do? he plugged it into his computer, send some info to apple (from my iphone), then got me a new iphone. i call BS on this.

25. Dan14 macrumors regular

If you do this there's no way of telling! Not that they really care... Leaving the phone available to be jailbroken is a clever marketing scheme. Imagine if they prohibited jailbreaking? How many people would sell their iphones? It instantly becomes 100% less productive.

Apple are clever, so clever that if they didn't want a jailbreak they'd have have eliminated it by now. Stop being so paranoid :D