Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris.J

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
I'm about to send in my iPhone 3G for repair (faulty home button) and I suspect Apple are likely to repair, rather than replace.

The phone is jailbroken on 3.1.2, so obviously I need to restore.

My first question is regarding TinyUmbrella. If I grab my SHSH off the phone and restore the original firmware 3.1.2 (which I have download from Apple), will I have completely removed all evidence of jailbreaking?

My second question is, are Apple likely to restore my phone to their latest firmware once the repair is complete? If so, am I best using Pwnage Tool instead of TU, to create a custom firmware so I can restore a breakable firmware/baseband when I get the phone back?

I'm just wondering what my best options are so I can still jailbreak when I get the phone back.

Thanks in advance.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm about to send in my iPhone 3G for repair (faulty home button) and I suspect Apple are likely to repair, rather than replace.

The phone is jailbroken on 3.1.2, so obviously I need to restore.

My first question is regarding TinyUmbrella. If I grab my SHSH off the phone and restore the original firmware 3.1.2 (which I have download from Apple), will I have completely removed all evidence of jailbreaking?

My second question is, are Apple likely to restore my phone to their latest firmware once the repair is complete? If so, am I best using Pwnage Tool instead of TU, to create a custom firmware so I can restore a breakable firmware/baseband when I get the phone back?

I'm just wondering what my best options are so I can still jailbreak when I get the phone back.

Thanks in advance.

No, Apple won't touch the firmware. They'll just repair your iPhone. Restoring the iPhone removes any trace of the jailbreak. Just in case you can make a custom 4.1 ipsw for your 3G.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, Doing a DFU restore and setting the phone a "new Phone" in iTunes (instead of restoring form backup) will erase any trace of Jailbreaking, no way for Apple to know. If you are pretty sure they are going to replace the phone them you don;t have to worry about your SHSH, the SHSH you got save will be useless (since they are belong to the old phone). All you do is restore using iTunes to the lastest firmware.

If apple restore your phone to the mot resent firmware your baseband will be upgrade, pretty much closing any change of unlocking (at least for now). You can use Pwnage tool to Jailbreak or any of the others tool (Limera1n, Greenpois0n) after you get it back

You may want to take a look at this thread, it got some similar question with a lot of discussions and ideas.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1043072/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.