Restoring Phone as New

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by callmemike20, Apr 17, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I want to restore my phone as new, but I have one problem:

I have a lot of games and those games have a lot of game saves in them.

How can I restore as new and maintain my game saves? Is this even possible?

I don't want to start Angry Birds all over.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Not possible, if you want to keep your game saves you would have to Restore from a backup.

4. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Restore it as new.

Then restore from a backup.

Problem solved.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

And that counteracts the restore and setup as new, might want to think about it...restoring a backup will potentially put back any problems that the user was having.

6. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

What makes this different than just restoring from a backup, without doing a "new" restore first? Wouldn't the backup just overwrite everything anyway?

(I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know...)

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There's no difference, it was a useless suggestion by whoever posted it.

8. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

What about using an app like iPhone Extractor (I think that is what it's called)?

9. Krevnik, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It's possible to use something like iPhone Explorer to manually find and copy out the game saves, and then restore them. It will be a somewhat painful and slow process but it can be done.

I'm curious though, what do you think that restoring new will get you in this case?

10. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

My battery is draining like crazy. My usage is equal to my standby. I took my phone off the charger at 100% 1hr 58min ago. I only used it for 10 minutes during that time period to watch a youtube video over WiFi. My usage is also showing 1hr 58min and my battery is already at 89%. I had no other apps open.

11. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I'm still at 97% with the same time + playing MP3's. What OS/iPhone are you using? Do you have push notifications enabled? How many bars do you have in your location? What apps were you using?

The same useage as your standby time is telling me something's running and accessing the network, even though you are saying it is not.

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

In this case, I'd do the following in order:

- Reboot the device.
    - Restore from Backup.
    - (Maybe) Restore as new.

I wouldn't jump to the last item unless you've done the first two and confirmed that this is something triggered by something in the long-term state, and the backup itself. No point in burning all that time for something that might be fairly simple.

13. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

My phone is fully updated. I do use push notifications and I have full 3g in my location. The only app I had open was safari.

Before, I thought it was an app that was multitasking that wasn't supposed to (such as words with friends or SiriusXM), but I now know that that isn't the case since those apps were not even in my multitasking bar.

This wasn't an issue until about a month ago when I starting using SiriusXM and words with friends, but I already eliminated both of those.

I've rebooted and restored. I think a restore as new may be the only solution.

14. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Some games that use gamecenter do their backup in gamecenter, so if you arent using it gamecenter is worth it just for that.