Restoring Windows in Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Huntn, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've run into a situation where Windows7 is having issues installing updates. I worked one day with Microsoft for over an hour but they could not find what was causing the problem.

I've used Winclone (a Mac application) in the past without issues to restore a Boot Camp Windows partition. Since purchasing Winclone 3.4 I've made several backups, but now that I am actually trying to restore one of those backups I'm getting a message:

"the image you are attempting to restore does not contain the correct information".

So I am frustrated and have emailed twocanoes.com, the Winclone publisher and waiting for their answer.

Working with Bootcamp
    Now I'm also looking at other options. I'm having trouble locating the Windows 7 instal DVD I originally purchased. I do have the serial number. So I've downloaded a copy of Windows 7 from the MyDigitalLife Windows7 Repository.

I have burned the iso image to a DVD. I've got 2 versions, one is the .iso file burned onto the DVD, the other are the contents of the .iso file burned to DVD. I assume to install Windows, it will want the one with the contents of the Windows installer burned to it?

Is there any advantage of reinstalling Windows from a USB Flash drive as compared to a DVD? Just curious.

If I try to reinstall Windows 7 from this DVD, basically a clean install, how do I get Bootcamp to jump in and reinstall Bootcamp drivers?

Finally, for Activation, because this copy of Windows is going back into the same Bootcamp partition on the same hardware, will I have to reactivate Windows? If so, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Dave

2. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Windows 7 is running ok, although I now have 23 updates that are piled up refusing to install. I am avoiding reinstalling due to the work involved...

But, since receiving a rousing response to my first post in this thread ;), I'll simply ask that if I ask Windows to reinstall in an existing Bootcamp partition, will Bootcamp know to install Mac drivers at the end of the process? Or how do you trigger Bootcamp to reinstall?
    Thanks!

PS- Winclone, a Mac based Windows parition backup: prepare for disappointment. I've got it, I've got several images for backup, tried to restore my Windows partition with it and I get an error message when I attempt it.