Resume for a job

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advise on my resume.

I'm applying for a job my friend referred me, but all the relevant experience is from a "previous job," not the one I'm currently in. And currently, my resume is in a chronological format.

I don't suppose putting my previous job on top of my current job would make sense...but if I don't, the employer is going to initially see my current job and experience that doesn't relate.

Thanks!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
You could divide your previous positions into two sections: "Relevant prior positions" and "Other prior positions" or something similar. Each section would be in reverse chronological order. The key is to ensure that everything that you list is as accurate as possible.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I was looking at writing up a functional resume, but it seems from what I've gathered, most hiring managers prefer a chronological as opposed to a functional...they want to see progression and sometimes using the functional can alert them that the candidate may have a job gap or some other thing they're hiding...

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
List the most recent job briefly, then give a much fuller description of the second job. It will stick in their heads more.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Lowbelly has it right, stick with chronological. It's still better. HR wants to see continuity in your experience as much as they want to see qualifications. A functional resume makes that harder to find.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Lowbelly has it right, stick with chronological. It's still better. HR wants to see continuity in your experience as much as they want to see qualifications. A functional resume makes that harder to find.
One size does not fit all here. OP says his most recent engagement does not include the experience for the job he's trying to get. For that, a functional resume is the way to go.

In any event, always tailor your resume for the job you're applying for.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I would go with Lowbelly and eternlgladiator on this one. Stick with chronological and cut your description of the current job down. But here's the thing - surely you have gained something useful from this job that can be leveraged into the next job - management experience, supervisory, people skills, etc.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
One size does not fit all here. OP says his most recent engagement does not include the experience for the job he's trying to get. For that, a functional resume is the way to go.

In any event, always tailor your resume for the job you're applying for.
I agree it needs to be tailored to the situation but functional resume's can be confusing and by highlighting one experience on it they could muddy the water for everything else. Experience is great but there are plenty of other things employers are looking for in a candidate.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I agree it needs to be tailored to the situation but functional resume's can be confusing and by highlighting one experience on it they could muddy the water for everything else. Experience is great but there are plenty of other things employers are looking for in a candidate.
Any resume that's confusing is one that's poorly written.

And I agree that employers are looking for more than just experience - they're looking for skills, certifications, educational background, etc. Far lower on that priority list is where you worked and in which order.

I had much better luck with my functional resume than I ever had with a chronological one. I don't see any need to change it.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Thank you everyone for your advise.

I took the approach of just putting in what was relevant in my current job and put in much more relevant info for my previous job to compensate.