Resume for a job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Aug 21, 2012.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advise on my resume.

I'm applying for a job my friend referred me, but all the relevant experience is from a "previous job," not the one I'm currently in. And currently, my resume is in a chronological format.

I don't suppose putting my previous job on top of my current job would make sense...but if I don't, the employer is going to initially see my current job and experience that doesn't relate.

Thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You could try a functional resume. I got my current job by ditching the chronological format and going to functional.

3. Roller macrumors 68020

You could divide your previous positions into two sections: "Relevant prior positions" and "Other prior positions" or something similar. Each section would be in reverse chronological order. The key is to ensure that everything that you list is as accurate as possible.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I did this and got my job. Before, only interviews or "we'll call you". Putting everything from relevant to not is worth it.

5. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was looking at writing up a functional resume, but it seems from what I've gathered, most hiring managers prefer a chronological as opposed to a functional...they want to see progression and sometimes using the functional can alert them that the candidate may have a job gap or some other thing they're hiding...

6. lowbelly macrumors member

List the most recent job briefly, then give a much fuller description of the second job. It will stick in their heads more.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Lowbelly has it right, stick with chronological. It's still better. HR wants to see continuity in your experience as much as they want to see qualifications. A functional resume makes that harder to find.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

One size does not fit all here. OP says his most recent engagement does not include the experience for the job he's trying to get. For that, a functional resume is the way to go.

In any event, always tailor your resume for the job you're applying for.

9. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I would go with Lowbelly and eternlgladiator on this one. Stick with chronological and cut your description of the current job down. But here's the thing - surely you have gained something useful from this job that can be leveraged into the next job - management experience, supervisory, people skills, etc.

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I agree it needs to be tailored to the situation but functional resume's can be confusing and by highlighting one experience on it they could muddy the water for everything else. Experience is great but there are plenty of other things employers are looking for in a candidate.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Any resume that's confusing is one that's poorly written.

And I agree that employers are looking for more than just experience - they're looking for skills, certifications, educational background, etc. Far lower on that priority list is where you worked and in which order.

I had much better luck with my functional resume than I ever had with a chronological one. I don't see any need to change it.

12. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you everyone for your advise.

I took the approach of just putting in what was relevant in my current job and put in much more relevant info for my previous job to compensate.