Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
just bought one

Just bought one in the stanford shopping center, palo alto, ca

"have lots"

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Toronto Eaton Centre now has the stock versions!!! They only have 3 for show. It's hard to get to them!!!

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I was told on the phone that the store has the 4GB modules in the back room, and can be added at the time of purchase. (But could add 2 hours up to a day extra until you can bring it home.)

I'm about to go see if that's true...

Hate to quote myself - but this is untrue. I have just visited my local Apple store in Jacksonville. If you want 4GB, you must order it online. There are no RAM upgrades in-store. Balls.

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was told from my reseller friend that the apple retail stores does not stock any cto/upgrade models. You can order with them but they don't keep them in stock (for those waiting for the upgrade options).

Doublecheck yourself...

bolsen78

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
When I went online and went on live chat they had told me the only way to get a 4GB upgrade was to order it online and that they would not have them in the Apple Stores. I wish you could though would be nice. It would also be nice if the Apple Stores in MN friggin had them already now that I have my car back I really wanted to see one in person. The 11.6 that is.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
By the way, Apple Store salesperson (who I know is knowledgeable from previous conversations) insists that the stock 2GB Ram is upgradeable in store starting within a week or so. He states that only the initial 2GB is soldered and that there is a slot for additional 2GB Ram wafer.
Oh, man, I hope that's true. If it is, and the slot accepts a standard RAM module, it might be possible to put a 4Gb module in the slot and upgrade the MBA's RAM to 6Gb. That would be wonderful! Interestingly, that was what some were saying around her on Wednesday but they ended up getting shouted down by those who claimed that all the RAM is soldered. What it all boils down to is that we just don't know yet.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
Oh, man, I hope that's true. If it is, and the slot accepts a standard RAM module, it might be possible to put a 4Gb module in the slot and upgrade the MBA's RAM to 6Gb. That would be wonderful! Interestingly, that was what some were saying around her on Wednesday but they ended up getting shouted down by those who claimed that all the RAM is soldered. What it all boils down to is that we just don't know yet.

We do know actually. The MBA 11" tear-down revealed the soldered in ram, which is directly underneath the SSD. There are no extra slots for adding additional memory, so the only way to get 4GB is custom config

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Yeah, I'm not shouting. I just came from the Apple Store and spoke to three workers there. There are no upgrades available in-store. There will be none to come. A quick look at the iFixit teardown actually answers these questions, but I was holding out hope after reading here that it was maybe possible. It's not.

We do know actually. The MBA 11" tear-down revealed the soldered in ram, which is directly underneath the SSD. There are no extra slots for adding additional memory, so the only way to get 4GB is custom config

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hate to quote myself - but this is untrue. I have just visited my local Apple store in Jacksonville. If you want 4GB, you must order it online. There are no RAM upgrades in-store. Balls.

Disappointing to hear, but I'm not surprised. Did they say if they plan to stock any models with 4GB? I got a confusing answer from a store I called. I won't be able to go there for a few hours to find out myself.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
No, i am afraid not.

the three stores i called were VERY clear in stating that the only models available in stores are and will be the stock models...

Disappointing to hear, but I'm not surprised. Did they say if they plan to stock any models with 4GB? I got a confusing answer from a store I called. I won't be able to go there for a few hours to find out myself.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Right. For some reason, they will only stock the "stock" models. A RAM upgrade is considered Built-to-Order (BTO) and won't be sold in Apple retails stores. If the manager I spoke to was correct.

No, i am afraid not.

the three stores i called were VERY clear in stating that the only models available in stores are and will be the stock models...

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
well it does make sense. the apple store isn't a manufacturing plant. anything custom would have to be done by the manufacturer, so it comes from china

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Right. For some reason, they will only stock the "stock" models. A RAM upgrade is considered Built-to-Order (BTO) and won't be sold in Apple retails stores. If the manager I spoke to was correct.

Bummer. Thanks for the info. Did you get one?

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Bummer. Thanks for the info. Did you get one?
No, to be honest I was kind of pissed off that I drove all the way there after getting bad info about the upgrade (on the phone). So, I came home to think about it. I would like 4GB. But on the way home, I began to think that maybe 2 wouldn't be terrible, since this wouldn't be my main machine. It's honestly an iPad replacement. So, I'm conflicted. Buy now and save the $100 or order online. Decisions, decisions.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
No, to be honest I was kind of pissed off that I drove all the way there after getting bad info about the upgrade (on the phone). So, I came home to think about it. I would like 4GB. But on the way home, I began to think that maybe 2 wouldn't be terrible, since this wouldn't be my main machine. It's honestly an iPad replacement. So, I'm conflicted. Buy now and save the $100 or order online. Decisions, decisions.

I can understand. I really like my iPad but I've got it bad for the new MBA. I had one of the originals but was too cramped by the screen resolution and limited storage (never liked the hidden flap for the USB slot either). These new ones look pretty good on paper but I've not seen one in person yet. I'd be very tempted if the 4GB was available but if I have to custom order I'll probably find the willpower to resist.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Seeing it in person was definitely what clinched it for me. It was next to the 13" MBA on the table, which was next to a 13" MBP. I have a 13" MBP already and I can't really see a compelling difference between the two.

Holding and using the 11" made it clear that this was a different animal altogether. We'll see if I can resist this weekend. I will probably end up saying "screw it" to 4 and just getting the 2GB.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
No, i am afraid not.

Well, if I remember correctly, they said the same thing about the MBP when the last version came out. At the time I wanted an matte screen which was not a stock model. I agonized about ordering a BTO because I wanted to be able to see it and return it if the i7 was too hot and therefore made the fans too noisy.

I am typing on a matte screen MBP i7 that I bought retail a few days later.

When the channel fills up in a little bit I bet they'll be stocking some 4GB's.

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada

Just came home from the applestore in Toronto. They are nice and it is a good compliment to a bigger workhorse.

I would use it as my main machine but for those that want as a second machine, the 11.6 and stock 2gb is probably good enough. It is not the same as an iPad but if you need something to type on (word processing), it's better.

Don't buy if you don't plan to use it often. Don't buy if all you do is surf. Buy if you have a use like essays and excel and layouts or photoshopping. May not handle heavy work but should handle a fare amount!

gostan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
West of Boston
If the memory ends up being upgradeable - great. But for now, my 2GB 13.3 is handling everything that I throw at without issue. Nothing heavy, just mail, web surfing, word, and You Tube stuff. I plan to play with Lightroom over the weekend. That will be more telling.

This laptop is a play thing replacement for my IPad. I have another Mac for more serious stuff.

One thing was clear to me at the Apple Store - the 11 incher was not for me.

vow

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Nothing in Houston... (First Colonly, Memorial city, Galleria, Willowbrook, or Baybrook)

Just came back from Galleria and it's in stock. Unfortunately, no 4GB ram upgrade available so I just placed my order online.

I know they are in sitting in the back at the First Colony store but they won't put them out until tomorrow.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
OK, called two stores and both talked about three models of each (11" and 13"). So I pressed for the specs of the top end 13" and they said 4GB ram, 256GB drive. So I suspect that there will be 4GB ram configurations in the stores but they don't have them yet.

r2fa3l

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Texas
Just came back from Galleria and it's in stock. Unfortunately, no 4GB ram upgrade available so I just placed my order online.

I know they are in sitting in the back at the First Colony store but they won't put them out until tomorrow.

Thanks for that info.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
We know that all the RAM for the 11 inch will, apparently, be hard wired. So far as I know, though, we have not definitively learned that the 13 inch uses the same motherboard as the 11 inch. If it does, somebody please tell us. Until then, it seems to me that the jury is still out as to whether the new 13 inch MBA has a slot for a RAM module.

1chocolate1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Jersey
Short Hills, NJ has them, but they will only carry the standard models. Any extra RAM must be put on at the factory when you order it. It cannot be added later. You really should get your hands on one and try the two sizes before purchasing.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
I bought my 13" MBA 128GB at the Apple Store in UTC Mall, San Diego. They were out of 11" MBAs and they had about 15 13" MBA. I dont know how many were 128GB or 256GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.