Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Why can't they rig some kind of dual thunderbolt adapter to give it the necessary bandwidth?

Too bad, but I don't really need a 5k display anyway. maybe next year.

Because 95% of machines are not powerful enough to run the display anyway.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have a 15" rMBP for personal use and a 13" non-retina MBP for work, and I can't really tell the difference. I don't know if if I have bad eyesight, or just don't care. Meh.

However, the article says Thunderbolt 3 will support DisplayPort 1.4.

You probably have bad eyesight. The article says Thunderbolt 3 will support DisplayPort 1.3, not 1.4. :p

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just want a 23"/24" 4K elegant Thunderbolt Display for HiDPI use with my rMBP! Please Apple! I love my Mac, but miss the space Of a 1080p display. I work with a lot of numbers and PDFs and the retina display is much easier on the eyes.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Enough, this product arrived 12 months before the standards and cpu/gpu being ready for it, I'm putting on hold purchase plans, don't seems an solid investment.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Question. Current non retina 27" iMacs can be used as an external monitor for a MacBook right?

jdo358

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Well this sucks. I really wanted a screen for my macbook pro retina when I use it at home. Do you think there is any chance that they will release an updated Thunderbolt display though? With like usb 3.0 etc. HDMI and obviously thinner.

Same here :( I'm sure there is a market for an upgraded Thunderbolt display. Would be perfect to bridge the gap between now and the moment the new Display will be GA. The technology is already available (in the "old" iMac), so why not...

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
better throw away that 5k monitor/computer in 5 years when 5k finally becomes a standard.

5 years? Anyone buying this 5k iMac now is probably a pro and will have a new machine waiting to take its place in less than 3 years. I ordered a 5k iMac and am already eyeing a new Mac Pro too but waiting for those to be updated.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
I just want a 23"/24" 4K elegant Thunderbolt Display for HiDPI use with my rMBP! Please Apple! I love my Mac, but miss the space Of a 1080p display. I work with a lot of numbers and PDFs and the retina display is much easier on the eyes.

I would buy a 24 inch Thunderbolt even though I much rather would have a 27 inch. It would be great if they released a 4K Thunderbolt now with new features etc and then released the 27 inch in 2 years with maybe some "premium" features. I have late 2013 retina macbook and i'm sure I will have it at least 4 years anyways.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
No! I wanted to hook up my TiVo to this to prevent having to buy a new TV for my home office!
That shouldn't be a problem, just get one of the HDMI-thunderbolt capture devices. Although I suspect the image quality won't be as good as a real 4K TV with a decent upscaled.

Edit: Actually you will probably need a device that also removes the HDCP encryption too in-between the Mac and the TIVO, as I believe the TIVO only outputs encrypted content.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I have a 15" rMBP for personal use and a 13" non-retina MBP for work, and I can't really tell the difference. I don't know if if I have bad eyesight, or just don't care. Meh.

Both. The color saturation, contrast, viewing angles, resolution are in a different league altogether. How anyone cannot see it is beyond me. I can't stand the old TN panels that look different when you raise your head few inches higher or lower.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Best you can get today?

For my Mac Pro I went with a 24" Dell UP2414Q 4k display. 4k at larger sizes than 24" is just awkward: pixels too big to use at 2x, too small for 1x. But this Dell is just the right size to be a Retina display that works TODAY.

It looks terrific! And it has nice scaling options just like a retina MacBook Pro. No software to install--Apple supports this model specifically with scaling options not found on larger 4k displays.

However... you get what you pay for with Dell. Styling-wise this is not Dell's worst (clearly imitating the 2007 black-and-aluminum iMac design), but it is NOT close to Apple's display standards:

- No camera, no mic, no speakers, no Thunderbolt hub, audio ports, Ethernet, etc.; no powered USB, just an unpowered USB hub that loses power when the display isn't on.

- No option to adjust brightness automatically with an ambient light sensor. (Didn't realize how much I'd miss that.)

- Won't reliably wake from sleep!! And when it does wake, sometimes you get only half the screen. Keep trying.

- A few little bits of hair or dust between the layers. Looks like dead pixels, but it's not.

- Cheap painted silver plastic, combined with a few not-quite-matching thin panels of real aluminum.

- Gaps and cracks and creaks and flexes. Just feels cheap.

- Awkward touch controls that don't always work. Sometimes you have to press hard. Simply adjusting the brightness is a pain.

- Unreliable sensor that makes the controls' lights blink annoyingly.

- No protective glass--and thus risky and difficult to clean, and easy to bash with a box corner.

- Can't respond to the brightness keys on my keyboard.

- Shipped at an awful 30Hz and took research and hoop-jumping to enable 60Hz.

- Good warranty that might help with some of the above... except it's unbearably painful to deal with their support staff. Good luck with that.

- No magsafe to power your Mac laptop. This is not a dock for a MacBook the way Apple displays can function; but that's OK with a Mac Pro.

- Not a great black level, and uneven glowing backlight bleed around the edges when viewing dark images. Viewing angle is OK, not great.

- Generates a TON of heat! Ouch! My electric bill!

- Sits on a permanent, very slight diagonal in landscape (normal) mode: the portrait–landscape pivot won't quite rotate all the way to level.

But yet... when viewed head-on, it has awesome res and color! I'm glad I have it--there is no better option yet. Also, it goes to Portrait... sometimes. And it can go very bright! And if you play endless games looking for deals like I did, you can find a cheap price. (Or you can get sent the wrong thing and waste time and end up not getting such a good price... like I did.)

I use mine at a scaled res equivalent to 2304x1296. But it will go as high as 3008x1692 if you like to squint.

Last edited:

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
I hope someone can prove me wrong but

I could swear that yesterday I checked the Apple Store, when they did not announce a new TBD, and in the EPP store I use the old display was $919.
When the store came up today it was $939.
I made a mistake earlier in the year by not buying the current TBD because I thought they would at least have a spec bump.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
best product pipeline in 25 years my ass

What's your beef? They delivered an iMac with a display that is at the leading edge of technology, beyond where even their own Mac Pro can use, and at a very competitive price. That's noteworthy.

Despite a few missteps, they've executed an upgrade to most of their products very impressively over the past few months. The full realization of this will become apparent over the next few months, at which point I'm confident that they will issue an update for their Mac Pro, as well as possibly updated Thunderbolt displays. But I think part of the holdup for this is Intel releasing new processors and finishing the next version of Thunderbolt. Point your finger at Intel if you are looking for someone to blame for the rate of progress.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Plenty of graphics cards out there that support that kind of resolution (even if they have to use two cables to deliver it). Too bad there isn't a minitower-style Mac that allows a person to choose their own graphics hardware.

But as I've been told many times by people on here, we don't need that at all. Better to wait two years until Apple decides we're ready to have it. :rolleyes:

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Well this sucks. I really wanted a screen for my macbook pro retina when I use it at home. Do you think there is any chance that they will release an updated Thunderbolt display though? With like usb 3.0 etc. HDMI and obviously thinner.

:apple: Cinema Display Air :D

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
That wallpaper picture is insane. This computer should have photographers having orgasms.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why can't they rig some kind of dual thunderbolt adapter to give it the necessary bandwidth?

Too bad, but I don't really need a 5k display anyway. maybe next year.

Every time you rig or hack something in order to make it fit into something that is not supported for it, you're risking stability issues.

That's essentially what many 4K monitors did, they used MST to divide half of the panel into its own data stream in order to push 60Hz data rate required. It's also mentioned in the article on how Dell is rigging its 5K monitor to use two DP 1.2 ports.

The problem is that it is problematic and doesn't work on all computers. You also need proper GPU support for it or it won't even boot.

Apple does not want to release a half-arsed product like that and deal with the outcome from the hacked solution and I have to agree.

If I'm paying 2500$, I expect it work absolutely well. There's no way I'd pay that much for a display that might not be stable.

no 5k standalone soon??

well, why the **** not?!

The ****ing article explains why. Pure technical limitations, the technology that Apple and partners are building are exceeding the interface standards set many years ago.

We have to wait until the DP1.3 support to get the bandwidth we need.

If you can't tell the difference, you probably should have your eyesight checked just in case. It is a very clear difference unless you're running 15" rMBP at higher resolutions instead of the HiDPI resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.