Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
Finally settled for the 2.3, 8Gb, 256Gb base model, my heart had rung out for a 2.7, 16G, 512Gb since the launch, the additional speed & storage how could I not benefit from this additional performance boost, what a difference it would make. My mind rang out the truth resoundingly, the computational performance difference is insignificant unless you can moniterize the time saving. Onboard storage is always preferable yet it`s difficult to dismiss with todays present USB 3 1Tb USB drives on offer, for what is realistically for me a medium to store entertainment on the road. My apps and work easily fall well within the 256Gb limit.

The final and far more compelling and by far the most overriding factor, next years Retina will be a significant improvement in many aspects, Intel`s "Tock" will deliver Haswell, bolstering both CPU and GPU, further reducing thermals. Apple will have refined the production process and to that end the 2.3 will likely be the easiest to sell on. I am the first to agree that there is no point in waiting if you have a need, frankly I don't have that need as I already have a Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 MPB and will retain it, an extremely capable machine to say the least, I just wanted to experience the Retina for myself, nothing more, nothing less.

As a rule I buy my Mac`s towards the end of the cycle opting for the high end model, in general the systems are more refined, reliable and this is exactly what I did buying a Late 2011, 15" 2.4 i7 in November last year anticipating the new MBP in 2012. What I didn't anticipate was such a dramatic change; form factor, flash, HDD & ODD gone, IPS & Retina display, cooling, speakers; the new MBP is a very substantial upgrade, nor did I anticipate that Apple would offer both "Next Generation" and "Legacy" MBP side by side.

As for my 2.3, so far it is absolutely perfect, no physical anomalies, display is perfect no dead pixels, no image retention, performance is on face value very similar to my Late 2011 2.4 i7, SSD make its presence known, with super slick response times, next years Retina MBP will be another leap into the future, all the same the 2012 Retina has to be seen, this is without any doubt the most superbly engineered portable computer to date. For those that design, those from engineering disciplines the "Next Generation? MBP is where it`s at.

All in all I am very pleased with the Retina, it definitely meets my initial expectations time will tell the rest. Ironically as I look at my desk with MBP 4.1, MBP 8.2 and now MBP 9.1 I am writing this on my Early 2008 MBP 4.1, the 2011 is busy converting video, the Retina slowly downloading updates.

If you have a need for a Retina MBP it`s definitely going to make a difference, if you just want a Retina MPB you wont be disappointed :apple:

Last edited:

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
yep - same for me

nice write up. I went through the same process and ended up with the 2.3, so far its met every expectation.

:D

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I was kind of "forced" into buying the base model due to impatience, but I pretty much went through the same thought process as you did. I certainly wouldn't be able to equate the extra cost for a faster CPU or more RAM into money saved. And similarly with HDD space, 256GB is workable, but I have to admit, this is one area where I have found myself having to manage files more than most, but I suppose it's a good discipline, 256GB is ample space, and it won't be long before ultra portable ThunderBolt drives come out, and are affordable (with shorter cables).

Almost a month on, and am loving it big time, I finally have a notebook powerful enough that I won't miss my Mac Pro when traveling, and this will be put to the test this week when i go to England for 3 weeks.

only 2 gripes are the back of the monitor digs into my legs when i'm wearing shorts, feels like a bit of a design flaw, and i wish the battery could last a bit longer, though i think i've been spoilt by the iPad battery life, i remember my first notebook that would barely give an hour doing light work.

Overall one of my favorite Apple products ever.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original poster
I was kind of "forced" into buying the base model due to impatience, but I pretty much went through the same thought process as you did. I certainly wouldn't be able to equate the extra cost for a faster CPU or more RAM into money saved. And similarly with HDD space, 256GB is workable, but I have to admit, this is one area where I have found myself having to manage files more than most, but I suppose it's a good discipline, 256GB is ample space, and it won't be long before ultra portable ThunderBolt drives come out, and are affordable (with shorter cables).

Almost a month on, and am loving it big time, I finally have a notebook powerful enough that I won't miss my Mac Pro when traveling, and this will be put to the test this week when i go to England for 3 weeks.

only 2 gripes are the back of the monitor digs into my legs when i'm wearing shorts, feels like a bit of a design flaw, and i wish the battery could last a bit longer, though i think i've been spoilt by the iPad battery life, i remember my first notebook that would barely give an hour doing light work.

Overall one of my favorite Apple products ever.

Try gfxCard Status the app give you very granular control of the GPU`s, allowing you to lock the integrated GPU when on battery, which significantly extends battery run time with reports of up to 9-10 hours.

You may be surprised at what app`s call for the discrete GPU and that the Intel 4000 can handle much of them, however some app`s do explicitly require the Nvidia GPU. gfxCardStatus uses only official and documented frameworks so is safe to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.