Retina difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, May 26, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Is the difference between the Retina and non-Retina displays more pronounced under bright lighting -- like, for instance, in the Apple Store?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The differences are very obvious regardless of the conditions they are in.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are obvious when side-by-side with another non-Retina computer, but otherwise they non-Retina display is good as well.

4. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

No matter which conditions... the Retina will wipe the floor with non-Retina MacBooks. In terms of display quality.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think screen brightness enhances the retina effect. I think the screen brightness is high because the ambient lighting his high so they boost it to make the screens pop and not look dull

6. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Interesting.

I think my 17" MBP has a better quality display than my 15" Retina MBP ;)

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

An old TN display better than a retina display? Ok.

8. madKIR, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014

madKIR macrumors 6502

Uneven screens, pink hue/tint, weaker brightness, image retention, etc.

Duh! The older displays are better than the retina ones. I have yet to see an even retina display and I've been through many...

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I have two out of two purchases that are flawless.

10. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

11. madKIR macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, I'm more than sure that if I see yours in person, I'll point out all the flaws....in terms of unevenness.
    Let alone the retina displays (all of them) have weaker brightness, it's just the way the technology is in MacBooks so far. Maybe when they implement the IGZO panels, it will be better....

12. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

The main advantage of retina is that it allows you to use your preferred resolution without losing any quality (debatable, I guess)

Scaled 1680x1050 on a retina display is so much better than running the same resolution on a 1920x1200 screen.

There are few situations where retina display isn't as good, running a virtual machine on a scaled resolution is one of them, but it's still usable, thanks to the pixel density of the retina display.

As for running 1920x1200 natively on a 17" screen vs scaled 1920x1200 on a 15" rMBP, I'd go with the former every time.

13. MH01 Suspended

MH01

What can I say, I prefer my 17" display. That's the Anti glare version.

14. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Uneven screen... umm... no.
    Pink tint? Nah. The screen is pretty accurate. Probably a tiny bit yellowish if you look very closely. Not a big deal.
    Weaker brightnes? No. Compared it to regular 15" MBP and my sisters MBA.
    Image retention? Nope.

I would say that my screen is pretty flawless. And yes... it runs circles around any non-retina screen. ;)

15. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Retina screens are waaaayy better than the old MBP's. I do know that the 2012 rMBP's screens were less bright than the newest version. I agree that the anti-glare screens are nice but the semi-glare rMBP strikes a nice balance. Besides, I usually don't work on my laptop outside.

16. madKIR macrumors 6502

Yes, you have the 15", the yellow screens is a common issue there. I was referring to the 13" model, which has the pink tint issue.

When you put the old Macs next to the retina ones, the brightness levels are quite different. Go to any Apple store and do it if you've forgotten how the old Macs were in this regard.

17. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I've compared 15" rMBP and MBP in Apple store. There is no dramatic brightness difference between these two. And comparing rMBP and MBA at home side by side I'd say that rMBP is actually brighter.

About the tiny bit yellowish screen... I wouldn't call it a problem. The screen doesn't look yellow at all. It looks natural and well balanced with a slightly warm tone on it. Usually well calibrated screens have slightly warmer tone compared to some screens which are calibrated to have a bit colder tone aka "blue tint".

I'd say that the majority of rMBP owners have fantastic panel that is definetely better in every dimension compared to non-retinas.

Honestly... After having a Retina for a year now, it's pain to work on non-retina 15". Thats how much better it is.

18. madKIR macrumors 6502

Of course, you can fake the brightness level by calibrating it.
    Now way it's even as bright at standard settings.

19. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Agreed. I have a Late 2011 17" which I almost never use. Since buying a 15" rMBP and later a 13" rMBP it is a rare occasion when I pull out the 17". I think the dimensions, the portability and most importantly the display is much better on the retinas. I keep holding on to the the 17" thinking I will miss it if were gone and that I will go back to using it again, but that hasn't happened.

20. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

In many respects I agree.

21. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

How can this even be an argument? The retina is better in ever single category.

22. madKIR macrumors 6502

In theory, yes. It's sharper, it has better color gamut, but it's about it.
    Apple's quality control leaves much to be desired. Way too many defects. Personally I went through 4. The current one is no perfect but it's much better than the ones it replaced.
    When I got my MBP 2010, it was just one that is still working. I think it speaks for itself.

When the first iPad retina was introduced, it was the exact same story. Look at the iPad Air and iPad mini now: the screens are fine, mostly even, no pink/yellow tints. The next generation Mac retina (IGZO) is supposed to get better as well.

23. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I own a retina laptop and I didn't think the difference was that much until I opened up a youtube video and it was crisp, clear and the contrast was incredible.. all in the little preview window.

I can say for one, you will only regret the retina because sometimes videos only play in 480p and you'll be spoiled with high quality images and videos.

24. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have a 13" rMBP (Late 2013) and a 17" MBP (Mid 2010). I find the 13" is clearer overall for working with text. I honestly don't notice much difference with graphics and websites. Both have the same warm tint. Brightness is almost identical at the same setting (5 "squares") with the 13" having a very slight edge with looking brighter, but if I lower it one square it is slightly darker than the 17".

It is hard to compare due to the difference in screen real estate, but I prefer the 13" between the two.

25. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My question wasn't really whether the Retina is better (I know it is), it is whether its "betterness" is more pronounced in the Apple Store than it is under dimmer lighting. My theory is that the Retina's superior glare control makes the margin between the two panels even more pronounced in a place like the Apple Store with all the ambient light.