Retina Display black is DARK!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Itzmemark, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Itzmemark macrumors member

When I'm watching a movie and there is a dark scene you can almost not make anything out is there a way to improve this?

[​IMG]

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think it's the movie, looks to me they made everything dark in that scene at least. It's not like you can turn on the light switch in the movie, though it would be nice. I hate when movies spend a lot of time in the dark and I can't see anything.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

highly compressed movies (commonly downloaded) loose a lot of data in the darker colors, in some cases just turning them all black. this is the exact same reason photographers shoot in RAW and movie fanatics care about blu-ray.

in short: larger files aren't just wasting space.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

1. Calibrate your display:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2805
    2. Use software which supports color management (QuickTime 7 or X for example). I think some versions of VLC support color management.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't think in this case it has anything with him losing data. I have watched blu-ray movies at home and some dark scenes looked like that.

The question is, was the whole movie dark like that or just night scenes and scenes inside with the lights off. A lot of horror movies have a lot of scenes where you can barely see anything.

6. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

This is bluray and 720p .mp4 I can watch it on my old 15 and its not that dark. It seems like anything that is dark on this screen is just SUPER dark. I looked at the color scheme's that come with the monitor which is the best to have it in? Currently I have it at the LCD color scheme

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

It's the display. People are reporting an incredible amount of loss of detail in Diablo 3. Apparently blacks are getting crushed. Yet one more reason not to be an early adopter.

8. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

You're just seeing black as black for the first time on this high quality display, you're used to seeing varying greys on lesser displays that struggle to show true blacks.

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Agree, most people never owned a Pioneer Kuro, and have LED's etc as TV. Which usually dont have the best black level.

I think the screen is beautiful, and have on of the best black levels i have seen on any display

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

plasma's have excellent black levels, and i have never seen a scene that dark.

11. mario-64 macrumors regular

I almost returned my rMBP due to the screen darkness. I play WoW and noticed it was way darker than on my 1080p desktop LCD. Also noticed it while playing Serious Sam 3. Finally figured out how to fix it: 1) increased the screen to max brightness (default was too low) and 2) performed a basic calibration and set gamma to 1.8 instead of the default 2.2.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I am still looking at your screenshot and it looks really dark to me as well....and I am not looking at your rMBP. The only thing I can make out is a broken bike maybe.

If you took a screenshot (print screen) it should look ok on another screen if it was your screen that is the issue. Unless my screen sucks too.

13. Tritons macrumors 6502

Can you tell me what movie it is and time when you took this screen shot? I'll download it in 720p and check how it looks on my 24'' Samsung monitor.

14. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

check these out I used tiny pic the first time this is dark knight once again bluray mp4

Attached Files:

15. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

that was machine gun preacher at the beginning of the movie...

16. Tritons, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Tritons macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll download it and take a screenshot ;)

------------

Ok, so on my 24'' Samsung monitor this 720p movie is a lot better.
    Since we both took screenshots and not actual pictures and it still looks different it is not display fault but something else, right?

Attached Files:

17. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

no the whole movie isn't dark just the dark parts of the movie check these screen shots out

Attached Files:

18. klover macrumors 6502a

I own a Kuro but this is black crush caused by a gamma calibration issue. Easily rectified with a quick calibration (expert mode).

19. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

20. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm retarded I have no clue how to do that I have tried when I do it just makes it worse anyway I can have apple do it for me lol or pay someone

21. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Reminds us that Heath Ledger wasn't fit to tie Nicholson's shoelaces.

22. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

you probably just need to calibrate your screen. i calbirated my 2011 macbook pro screen, spending hours on it if i am honest.

macbook pro screens are gorgeous but based on my experience, and therefor assumption, come calibrated too dark. yes black look ink-black-deep but its definitely too dark.

i know this because i work with a Canon 60D, a large blu-ray collection, and a solid idea of blacks.

of course different films really have their own ideal calibration (films are shot at their own individual exposure levels etc!)

but you can get a rough idea.

23. klover macrumors 6502a

Try this, it's $.99

Don't bother adjusting each red,green,blue gamma setting - just use the general slider to bump up shadow detail. I'd get a dark scene up on the screen and bump the gamma slowly until some detail show up.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gamma-adjust/id523265730?mt=12

24. Itzmemark, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

downloaded it, it did nothing for me lol my all it does is make the screen brighter

edit:
    I just went back to the stock LCD color, the one I calibrated was actually darker lol