Retina Display MacBook Pro and New MacBook Air Includes Thinner MagSafe 2 Power Port

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In its quest for thinness in the Retina Display MacBook Pro, Apple removed the optical drive and built the display into the unibody construction. The company's engineers also designed a new, thinner MagSafe power port to accommodate the notebook's 0.71" height.

[​IMG]
    The new MagSafe 2 connector -- which is incompatible with the original MagSafe power bricks as well as devices with a MagSafe power cord built into products like the Apple LED Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display -- is included in the new Retina MacBook Pro as well as the new MacBook Air models. It seems likely the port will make its way to the legacy MacBook Pro models in a future update.

Apple is selling a MagSafe to Magsafe 2 Converter for $9.99 on the Apple Online Store, as well as new 85W and 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter for $79 each.

Article Link: Retina Display MacBook Pro and New MacBook Air Includes Thinner MagSafe 2 Power Port

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The MagSage 2 Power Port is also on the new MacBook Airs.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Interesting that they went back to the T-shape.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

5. jlgolson Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Yep, missed that in my quest for speed. Updated with that info.

6. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Very happy (sort of)

I'm not happy they updated it, but I'm happy they are offering a $10 adaptor.

I keep MagSafe adaptors everywhere, I'm glad I don't have to replace them.

I'm sure I'll be losing the tiny adaptors too :(

Gary

7. Vctr macrumors regular

The advantage is ... it being thinner ...

8. v8raun macrumors newbie

T-Shape not surprising

It's not very surprising for me, that they went back to the t-shape, because the L-shape adapters were only good for the original macbook air, they never worked very well on mbp's and new macbook airs. It was too easy to unplug them unintentionally because of the angle they got from the L-shape!

9. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It'll fit thinner MacBooks. Should I say thinner devices? (iOS?)

Gary

10. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

:D

Lighter too. Easier to carry.... takes up less space in a laptop bag... etc.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Didn't notice that before. My guess is because the flat design ends up defeating the purpose of magsafe - to protect your computer when you trip over your cord.

With the flat design it only really works when you are pulling the coord outward, if you go towards the machine it is coming off the desk. The t-shape handles this much better, and I bet with the extra thinness it does even better.

As long as they figured out the fraying problem with the T design...

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have no need for the power really as I have a 27" iMac or for the size/weight of the new MacBook Pro (especially since no 13" was introduced), even though the screen is appealing, but I find it interesting that the words MacBook Pro no longer appear on the screen bezel. I think a 13" Air is the best companion for my portable needs right now, but I do like the black screen trim on the Pro vs. the all silver on the Air.

My comment has nothing to do with the power port. ;)

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Is the Magsafe 2 brick compatible with existing Magsafe computers?

I would guess that it is. Can anyone confirm?

14. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

No, the brick is part of (attached to) the cable with the MagSafe connector.

Gary

15. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

My first thought is: they didn't update the Cinema Display with MagSafe 2. This goes against one of the advantages of the Cinema Display: reducing the number of wires on the desk.

16. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Thank god the adapter is cheap! I was fearing a $19.99 cable! :eek:

17. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

Thank god Apple always makes its products thinner, lighter and smaller with every update. So we have more space in our pockets for all the numerous adapters… :D ;)

18. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

19. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

A dongle isn't Apple-like, either. No one needs another dongle to carry or forget.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Hopefully they were smart and made the magnet in the adapter stronger than the magnet in the laptop.

This way once you "convert" an old adapter to magsafe 2, you can pull the whole thing off your laptop without the magsafe 1 plug coming off the adapter.

21. DrWeevil macrumors newbie

Doesn't look smaller

1) Looking at the close-up pics from TheVerge.com, itseems that the overall size is actually BIGGER... yeah it's a smidge thinner, but also a lot wider

2) I don't see how this gives any advantage in making the system thinner... they're already thinner than the USB and Thunderbold ports... so how does making the magsafe still smaller help any???

----------

Hopefully, they'll also come out with an adapter to go the other way around... that way when I buy the new mac and new adapters, I can use them with my old macs as well

22. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

I'm really not seeing many benefits of this "new" design (T-shape was there originally and it got replaced because it wasn't optimal). How much thinner is it?

Not sure if I'm happy with this change.

23. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

1) It is actually overall smaller

Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 9.25.23 PM.png

2) Maybe it has something to do with the internals - the logic/ motherboard. Smaller parts inside to allow for better arrangement and more efficient use of space.

24. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

It appears they did it to not cut off the thunderbolt port right behind it (when connected wire-to-user). Which has actually been a problem for me in the past though not often.

25. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

+1 on your theory. I've never liked the flat design and we've had a couple of close calls with my wife's 13" MBP almost coming off the table because the cord got yanked and the magsafe didn't disconnect. My older 15" MBP with the t design magsafe has never had that problem.