Retina display soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by someguy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sorry if a thread like this already exists. Searching seems to be temporarily disabled.

I am starting a new job soon and I will need to purchase my own computer to do it. I am thinking of getting an 11" MacBook Air, the only issue is the display resolution (and I won't be able to use a second display).

Does it seem likely that they will have retina displays added to them, or is the notebook too small to expect them to bother anytime soon?

2. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

I think the retina display is gonna separate the Pros from Airs, so no - don't think the Air will be getting retina anytime soon..

I was waiting for the rumored rmbp13 myself, but this was a dead-end, so getting Air during this week

3. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Haswell is the news...

No. Retina.

But Haswell is comming so get ready.

4. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

All (rumor) indicators are that the 13" Retina MBP is completed and they are stock piling them now for announcement next week, October 17. Nothing at all on the Air at 11" or 13", either one.

The 13" MBR should be considerably thinner and lighter than the 13" MBP if the 15" MBR is any indicator.

5. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

The MacBook Air (all models) will get a retina display, because it's where all Apple products are heading to.

But we don't know yet when it will be. All rumors point to the release of a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a retina display. But no word yet on a retina MacBook Air. That will probably take longer. I wouldn't expect it to come earlier than mid-2013.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Sounds like I should just pick one up if I'm going to do it at all. No sense in waiting if I don't suspect them to gain a retina display anytime soon, eh?

7. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

Nah.. Haswell is coming (unless the just spees bump specs in June).. Retina is the MBP-lines feature, not the Air.. So personally, I'm buying one now

Also - no indication of an upcoming rmbp13 the 17th; invitations would've been out by now, if such event would happen

8. 2IS macrumors 68030

I personally think "retina" is whats going to differentiate the Pros from the Airs for the foreseeable future.

9. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

By the time it comes it won't be "retina" anymore, it will be "normal"

10. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I don't think so. Samsung already has a prototype of a 13-inch Series 9 ultrabook with an IPS screen with a 2560x1440 resolution. Samsung Series 9 is a direct competitor to the MacBook Air. Apple will update the MacBook Air line soon.

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Correct. Pick up there MBA. You it's an awesome machine. I have both machines and the MBA still amazes me.

12. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Not sure I understand this distinction, retina came first to consumer devices (iPhone/iPad) and ultrabooks are moving in this direction. Doubtful we'll be waiting 2 more revisions for this.

Really it comes down to a technical issue with GPU/power... which Haswell could very well be sufficient.

13. 2IS macrumors 68030

Samsung series 9 is a direct competitor to the air NOW, once it has that screen it can easily move into Pro category. There's no law saying it has to compete with the AIR. If there's a 13" MBPr with retina, there's no reason why that can't be it's direct competitor. Size/weight/screen/features will all be pretty close. Sounds like a direct competitor to me.

There would be close to zero distinction between the 13" air and 13" pro if they both have Retina, I think that's the problem. Unless Apple redesigns the Air to be even thinner and lighter than it is now, while still have the same battery life WITH Retina, they'll essentially have two laptops with very similar size/weight/features with two different names. Just doesn't make any sense.

14. Beau10, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Well, extrapolating out a similar weight loss for a 13 rMBP would still be about 3.6 lbs. That's still 20% heavier than the MBA, then you have more powerful non-ulv processors, perhaps a GPU (might be mandatory at this time) and more RAM.

It seems likely that the two lines will converge eventually. But I don't see why releasing a 13" rMBP this season and then releasing updated rMBAs next year is out of the cards, nor that Apple cares about cannibalization much. Personally I think it's nuts that Apple would let one of its hottest sellers wither like that until at least 2014 when the rest of the market is currently heading in this direction.

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I really don't think that Retina will be a feature added to MBAs for at least a few years. It's clear Apple has a plan to exile out the Pros as they stand now, and I think the Retinas will replace those, while Airs will continue to exist as a thin "budget" laptop.

Retina on the Air will make the most even more than it is now, when that day comes.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with the Mid-2012 MBAs now, especially the 13". The resolution is still pretty good, very workable, and is the most impressive computer I've ever used when size and weight is accounted for.

16. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

The Airs will not have it for a few years, but there may be a 13 rMBP in the works!

17. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

18. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Samsung Series 9 is definitely a direct competitor to the Air.

It has a low-voltage Intel processor, just like the Air. It has an SSD drive, just like the Air. And it is about the same size and weight of the Air. So, it is a direct competitor to the Air. No law says that. Just marketing.

Samsung showed a prototype adding a high-resolution display (with a 2560x1440 resolution) to this Series 9 laptop. The other features remained basically what they are. But now there's a higher resolution. When Samsung releases this laptop, it will still be a direct competitor to the MacBook Air.

This Series 9 will not become a direct competitor to the 13-inch MacBook Pro because: (i) the MacBook Pro will still be heavier and thicker (even if it gets thinner and lighter); (ii) and the MacBook Pro will sport a standard-voltage Intel processor.

19. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

I was actually going to buy a 13" Samsung Series 9 because of its awesome display and JBL speakers, plus its form factor and speed. MBA won me over because of its gestures and ease of use plus I can run Win 7 in bootcamp should I need to.
    The 15" model of Samsung S9 had an extremely poor display, no competition for the MBP there.
    But as far as the display quality on the MBA 13" is concerned, everyone that has seen it has been very impressed. I'm happy with it.
    As Retina displays evolve and become the norm then MBA will definitely have it. I think things are still evolving and taking shape in the Sharp IGZO camp and from what I've seen and heard, Apple will use this across all devices. IGZO in theory will mean better battery life. But we'll have to wait and see. :)

20. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Do you think that when its time, the Air will have 2880x1800 (doubled from current) or 2560x1600 (doubled from same 13" MBP)

Or even go 2560x1600 at first, then a year or 2 later go to 2880x1800?

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Another thing to consider is the retina screens area nightmare for battery life. If you notice with the rMBP they took out the optical drive and filled that space with more battery just to keep the battery life the same as the previous model. Likewise, the retina iPad got a toad thicker and a little heavier because it needed a bigger battery as well. Right now the MBA is using all the space it has. I don't think we'll see a retina display in the MBA until it doesn't require as much power or the MBA sees a redesign which allows for more room for a bigger battery.

22. Calot macrumors regular

I seriously doubt it will be retina.

I would much rather have a 1600x1000 resolution display with IPS or IGZO.

That is the future for these ultraportables.

23. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Even with Haswell chips next year? Intel advertises 24 hour battery life (very likely not, but since its supposed to be very power efficient about *20x more efficient (again mere numbers and probable exaggeration)), it would probably increase the claimed battery life from 7 hr to real 10 hr? (Just an estimate)

With the addition of the retina display taking up battery and reducing the battery back to 7hr (current) wouldnt it be feasible?

And again these arent for sure numbers, just my PERSONAL thoughts and opinion.

24. 2IS macrumors 68030

I doubt it. I don't think Haswell alone is going to make up the difference and I doubt those claims for Haswell chips are going to be what's actually produced/used in laptops. It was more like "hey, look what we CAN do" Retina will have to get more efficient to maintain if you're going to put it in a thin/light device and expect to maintain the same size/weight/battery life. The good news is, there is progress being made here. I only wish battery chemistry/density would evolve even half as fast. There hasn't been any significant strides in battery's for consumer devices since Lithium Ion/Polymer. They've gotten better over time, but at a very slow pace.

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Pretty much stole the words right from my mouth. And I completely agree that battery technology is moving so slow in comparison to other forms of tech. IMO that should be given top priority.