Retina Display, To Protect or Not To Protect

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Q Bert, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

So, you have received the new iPad. The Retina Display is gorgeous, 2048 x 1536 is what it is. Like what the ad says, "When a screen becomes this good, colors become vibrant."

I am simply amazed, yet I am torn.

With the iPad2, I have protected the screen with an Anti-Glare Matte Screen to serve a dual purpose: protecting the screen from scratches and smudges, and to eliminate glare.

After seeing the Retina Display in all its glory, I don't want to diminish that eye candy experience by slapping a protective screen whether it is an Anti-Glare Matte screen or a Crystal HD film but I am risking the potential chance of a scratch. Not having a film will also invite the occurrence of glares.

A Case such as the Dodo case is a nice alternative but I also want to preserve the thin and light profile of the iPad. Putting it in a case is like carrying a book.

I told you I am torn. I am sure a lot of you share my dilemma.

2. eikast macrumors member

Doesn't the iPad have gorilla screen technology ? If so I don't really see. Need for a screen protector. I have never had any issues with scratches on the 4,4A and iPad 2

3. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I work retail and see people put Zagg invisashields on and it ruins the clarity . I don't use screen protectors on my iphone or ipad. Never had I had any problems

4. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i had a screen protector on my ipad 2 and did notice that the image quality decreased. i'll be going naked on my ipad 3

5. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll be going with a PS Crystal shield once my funds allow me to just got a 32GB. :)

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just a smart cover and clear-coat on the back. Not covering up that beautiful piece of glass with cheap plastic crap.

I think it uses the new gorilla glass 2.

My iPhone 4S just has a bumper and no other protection got it day one and it has no scratches on either side. I always keep it in pockets with coins and keys at that!

7. Q Bert thread starter macrumors regular

Q Bert

I pre-ordered a BSE (bestskinsever)Total Body skin but I probably won't apply the film for the screen. When I opened the new iPad box, I initially didn't take off the plastic cover that came with it. But after I finished restoring from a backup, I have to get rid of the plastic so I can view the Retina Display in all its glory.

----------

For now, I am shielding the screen with a Smart Cover. I just have to wipe it every now and then for fingerprint marks.

8. mamema macrumors regular

i had protected my ipad 2 for simple one issue: Been able to read longer while outdoors and the sun is shining.
    i guess there will be no difference with that with the ipad 3, or is the brightness higher now, so i can compensate that?

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Power support non glare bought last week and applied 2 min after iPad came out of the box yesterday.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

HATE screen covers. Do not feel right and I do not care how good they are, it WILL get in the way of the opticle quality of the great screen.

I have owned and used daily the 1,2 and now 3 iPads and never scratched the screen. If your kid uses your pad, maybe you should but not u less you have to do so.

11. t7own macrumors newbie

I have a mediadevil screen protector on the new iPad, I've had them before an I love it. If you take time putting it on you can't even notice it is on

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I don't plan on using any screen protector either. On my iPad 2 I used only the Smart Cover and I had no problem at all. I would be concerned that any screen protector at all would be detrimental to the awesome view of the iPad screen.

13. macbrooke macrumors regular

macbrooke

My iPhone 4 had awful glass! my earrings scratched it!! I would say iPhone does NOT use Gorilla glass.
    I switched to a Motorola Razr Droid and that phone DOES have Gorilla glass and what a world of difference!

iPad 3 is my third I've had one of each and never protected the screen on any of them, however I don't think iPads are subject to the wear that phones are. I would hate to have to cover the glass with something.

JMO.

14. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Really always depends on the situation.

I'm very careful with my products, but I have clients that I don't know at times, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I can replace a screen protector a lot easier than a whole iPad.

15. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I am also torn. I still have the plastic on that it came in. I purchased clear protectors from Incipio because I *love* their iP4S clear protector, but I'm not confident in my application skills. Just don't know yet...

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I put a screen protector on mine.

I admit that it does seem to reduce the brightness of the screen a little; however, it does make the screen a lot smoother to scroll with my fingers, and I don't have to worry about how dirty or oily they are. I find that smudges are generally not an issue even without a screen pro, as you can't see the fingerprints once the screen lights up.

There will be pros and cons, no doubt. I did the same thing for my iphone, because I know I am not a delicate user, and the protector lets me treat my stuff with a little more impunity. :p

17. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

18. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The smart cover has done an excellent job protecting my iPad 2.

Putting a sheet of something over the glass reminds me of people who put plastic slipcovers on their furniture.

19. Summez macrumors member

Summez

I don't put a screen protector on my iPad 2 or new iPad.
    Also didn't an iPhone keynote once say they use helicopter glass?

20. trek360 macrumors 6502

Although I like power support crystal, just wanted to say that the best time to put one on is straight out of the box just after you pull off that protective plastic. It makes application so much easier. You may do better than you think with the application.

21. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Get AppleCare+ instead of a screen protector.

22. Aksta macrumors regular

Smart cover when out and about and nothing when at home. And I'm not just talking about my iPad

23. xyphr3 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am putting a cover on it bc after 1 day of use, there are to many fingerprints!!!!!

24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You don't need a screen protector. I've had the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 and never had anything on the screen and clean it with my T-shirt with kitchen towels etc. and never once had a single scratch.

25. aperry macrumors 6502a

My experience is that all of my friends who claim they have no scratches on their iOS devices (including iPads) actually do have scratches that are very subtle, likely in the oleophobic coating which doesn't have the same scratch resistance as the glass itself. You can't see these scratches very easily as they are very faint. Usually it requires cleaning the surface and holding it up at an angle near a light source (like halogen light).

I personally don't think these can be avoided during normal use over the course of weeks or months. The "real" scratches (in the glass itself) can usually be avoided with care. The question is whether you care enough about the minor scratches in the coating.

I had ghost armor on my last iPad2, and was able to comfortably sell it in "perfect" condition without a single scratch. I'm still not decided on what I'll do with the iPad3.