Retina F'real?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trajen, Dec 28, 2011.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

We don't really KNOW for sure if iPad 3 will have a Retina display, do we? What if it isn't?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd assume that if the iPad 3 doesn't have a retina display it'll use the same display that has been used so far. as to what other features they might add, who knows? this is the fun of apple rumors.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have an iPad 1 and 2, both on ios 5. and when I look at them side by side, the font on the 2 is sharper and easier to read. So they don't have the exact same screen -- the 2 has a slightly improved screen, even if it's the same dpi as the 1. I expect that if iPad 3 doesn't get a retina screen, it'll get the same kind of incremental improvement that we got from 1 to 2.

4. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It's not for real until it gets real.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

99% chance at this point. So bank on it. Apple is going to turn up the heat in 2012. It's gonna be a crazy year.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Life goes on...

7. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

what do y'all think the resale value for a mint white 32Gb Verizon iPad 2 could be on CL when the 3 does come out

8. mattg3 macrumors 6502

What selling point could they possibly use if it doesnt have contrast upgrade?

9. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

More ram . Better camera... once the retina display comes out the only thing left to add to the iPad is better camera then faster ram each cycle...

10. tips macrumors member

I feel battery life double and better cameras are the real good addition to ipad3.
    But what is the real productive use of a retina display ?, unless you heavily
    watch pictures etc ?.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

Retina display will be easier on the eyes for reading. We'll be able to read web pages in portrait mode. Plus magazines will look that much better.

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's a definitely going to have a retina display unless some last minute problem occurs. That's what I hope anyway :p

This is what I'm wanting:

2048x1536 IPS
    Cortex A15 1.5GHz dual-core or 1GHz quad-core
    1GB LPDDR2 RAM
    Graphics which perform as well at 1536p as the 4S does at 640p. SGX543MP5, or newer (if available)
    Lighter

13. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

The main reason i'll be upgrading to a retina iPad is for reading in general. so safari, reading pdf's, books. i think they might keep games at 768x1024 for now, i think even with vastly improved graphics it'd struggle to run games at 1536x2048 and keep a decent frame rate.

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, 'all' Apple has to do is make sure it has at least four times as many graphics power to run four times as many pixels at the same performance.
    Let's not forget Apple did not improve graphics with the iPhone 4 and it turned out that it would work just fine.

The real issue here is storage: games and apps are getting bigger. If the iPad 3 indeed gets a retina display, every app will get low-res (currently) images and high-res images (four times as many pixels). This will add to the space. I really believe that Apple should make a $499 32 GB, $599 64 GB and $699 128 GB instead of the current 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB set-up.

15. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

If not retina, at least some upgrade in the display. After getting the iPhone 4s and comparing that display to my iPad 1st gen and iPad 2 I've seen in the stores I can clearly see they need to push the iPad's display quality up a notch or two.

16. yeah, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Retina display
    A6 1.0 ghz Quad-core A15-cortex chip
    1GB (or more) RAM
    16gb - 128 gb storage
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, (T-Mobile ?)
    Same display size
    4X better graphics then A5 chip
    14,000mAh battery (up to 20 hours)

MY PREDICTIONS :D

17. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Am I the only person who thinks the display on my iPad 2 is fine? Even compared to my iPhone 4 I don't know what all the fuss is about the retina display. Obviously it would be good if it was better but I never find myself using the iPad and wishing the screen was better

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The screen is good for what it is, but when you sit your iPad 2 next to the iPad 3, I imagine you'll be wondering why you were asking this question.

19. LeeM macrumors 6502a

You're probably right, I only have an iPhone 4 because of the screen. I still much prefer the look of the 3GS, but when I had mine next to a 4 in the shop I was easily converted. I'm going to avoid the ipad 3 in shops etc because until I see one side by side I imagine I'll remain very happy with the one I've got

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Well no one officially knows what goes on behind the doors of Apple other than the employees working on it. So no we don't know for sure if the Retina display is coming or not.

Though really it would be the next logical step for a new one, I can't think of any other big feature that you could add to it hardware wise other than chip improvements or higher resolution cameras.

I bet Siri gets added as well.

Though we've heard a bunch of rumors of the Retina display like for the last year and it keeps repeating (though to be fair the iPhone with a bigger screen was echoed throughout the year and it hasn't materialized) there is a good chance it is going to be added this year. Plus you've seen the pictures of a new display and the connections are definitely different.

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

100% Agree.

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I honestly don't think we will ever see Apple go beyond the 64GB capacity unless for some reason file sizes get dramatically bigger (though really they are already huge with high definition) because Apple wants to get some sales on their iCloud service.

I really was hoping for 128GB iOS device but I just don't think its gonna happen. Many people are fine with swapping and changing out constantly with limited capacity, I personally hate it because I like the ability to be able to select something I want at that moment and time instead of having to hope it got synced today.

That being said, 128GB has the best chance to getting on the iPad vs any of the other devices.

My prediction is that:

- iPad 2 is still in production @ $100 less at each capacity. The 64GB will be dropped from the iPad 2 because people that want capacity are more willing to pay top dollar for the iPad 3. So available only in 16GB or 32GB capacities.

- iPad 3 comes out with retina display, maybe a memory or chip update and is available at the same price point as the current iPads are with the 16GB model option removed. So available only in 32GB and 64GB.

It's also possible they make a iPad 2 with 8GB as a budget tablet to compete with the other much cheaper tablets. Such as the Kindle Fire.

23. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

Do y'all think retina display will bring hire prices? If so.. I can't justify paying 600$+ for a base iPad 3 ..

24. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I think it'll be the same price points with the ipad 2 still being available at $100 cheaper.

25. Redsand187 macrumors member

I don't see why Apple would bother updating without the Retina display. The iPad2 still greatly outsells all of the competitors combined. They can just wait it out until they can get enough displays to start production.