Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Or in the case of iPhone LCD screens, more yellow.#

And light bleed. LCD panels of any kind (TV, monitor, tablet, phone) are notorious for light bleed. Kinda sucks when trying to watch a movie at night with black bars on each side of the 1080p movie, only to see light bleeding in from the sides.

To be fair to Apple though, neither my iPhone 6 or iPad air 2 have any noticeable light bleed. First Apple devices I have ever owned that didn't.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Comparing these two at length is a waste of time IMO. At least the 6+ and Note 4 screens are both stunning and that's the end of it really.

The Note 4 image may feel slightly more 'alive' when watching movies and looking at pics, and the blacks are extra satisfying. The burn-in issue is a tall tale for me personally, never saw even a hint of it on my Note 2 which I used to death for two years straight.

Meanwhile the 6+ screen is definitely sharp enough and it instead has this lovely feeling of the image sitting almost right on top of the glass (which flows more nicely into the body of the device as well).

But both are quite incredible and neither of them is "clearly" worse or better than the other. I get this feeling that anyone who goes out of their way to bash either of them is expressing an already fixed attitude and forum warrior e-peen rather than speaking based on real experience...

And those rehashing the tired old argument that colors are exagerrated/cartoony on new Samsung devices can just get out - they are just shoving their head in the sand and ignoring the display settings.

(Note that all this is in reference to iPhone 6+ and Note 4 only, I don't have extensive experience with other current phones.)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Retina HD vs. Super AMOLED: Now who wins?

Comparing these two at length is a waste of time IMO. At least the 6+ and Note 4 screens are both stunning and that's the end of it really.

The Note 4 image may feel slightly more 'alive' when watching movies and looking at pics, and the blacks are extra satisfying. The burn-in issue is a tall tale for me personally, never saw even a hint of it on my Note 2 which I used to death for two years straight.

Meanwhile the 6+ screen is definitely sharp enough and it instead has this lovely feeling of the image sitting almost right on top of the glass (which flows more nicely into the body of the device as well).

But both are quite incredible and neither of them is "clearly" worse or better than the other. I get this feeling that anyone who goes out of their way to bash either of them is expressing an already fixed attitude and forum warrior e-peen rather than speaking based on real experience...

And those rehashing the tired old argument that colors are exagerrated/cartoony on new Samsung devices can just get out - they are just shoving their head in the sand and ignoring the display settings.

(Note that all this is in reference to iPhone 6+ and Note 4 only, I don't have extensive experience with other current phones.)

Exactiment !!!! Why can't people just be happy that two devices have fantastic screens, they have to squabble and fight - churning out the same years old rhetoric and end up arguing semantics or over minuture.

What people prefer to use is subjective and neither right or wrong. As you said they both represent the best in both Amoled on a phone and best of LCD in a phone. Are they perfect? Is anything? But they are both great.

Who wins between the two ? You & Me and everyone else who buys either (or both) of these devices.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Exactiment !!!! Why can't people just be happy that two devices have fantastic screens, they have to squabble and fight - churning out the same years old rhetoric and end up arguing semantics or over minuture.

What people prefer to use is subjective and neither right or wrong. As you said they both represent the best in both Amoled on a phone and best of LCD in a phone. Are they perfect? Is anything? But they are both great.

Who wins between the two ? You & Me and everyone else who buys either (or both) of these devices.

I was just about to say what you just did.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
From what we know the iPhone's display is the best LCD in the phone arena. Samsung's display is the best Amoled. They are both brilliant screens absolutely not doubt about it. I prefer looking at the iPhone screen regardless of what tests say which is better or worse. It is a personal preference at the end of the day because we are the ones who have to look at the damned things everyday lol :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
From what we know the iPhone's display is the best LCD in the phone arena. Samsung's display is the best Amoled. They are both brilliant screens absolutely not doubt about it. I prefer looking at the iPhone screen regardless of what tests say which is better or worse. It is a personal preference at the end of the day because we are the ones who have to look at the damned things everyday lol :)

Generally I do prefer the iPhone 6+ display, it just has a clarity and overall sharpness that appeals to my eyes.

But then agajn I'm not complaining about my Note 4 display either. It's bigger the display, colors are bolder, and the contrast is unmatched. It's not good for amoled; it's good period.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Generally I do prefer the iPhone 6+ display, it just has a clarity and overall sharpness that appeals to my eyes.

But then agajn I'm not complaining about my Note 4 display either. It's bigger the display, colors are bolder, and the contrast is unmatched. It's not good for amoled; it's good period.

Yep they are both good screens and you can't go wrong with either.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I like both screens honestly. I just aquired a Samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 and it's been seeing more use than my iPad air. I do prefer the air 2 screen to the air, but this amoled screen is pretty awesome on the tab s and super clear. Off access viewing is a little weird on the tab s. It gets a blue hue to the screen off access but straight on viewing I tend to prefer it over the iPad screen.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
LCD will always be second class to AMOLED. If Microsoft released a Surface Pro 4 with AMOLED I'd upgrade it in a heartbeat. LCD is terrible with backlight bleed, yellowing, uniformity issues, yellowing, bad pixel, etc. Any future purchases will be OLED only.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
LCD will always be second class to AMOLED. If Microsoft released a Surface Pro 4 with AMOLED I'd upgrade it in a heartbeat. LCD is terrible with backlight bleed, yellowing, uniformity issues, yellowing, bad pixel, etc. Any future purchases will be OLED only.

not really a issue with Apple's new manufacturing process when they make LCD displays in the 6 plus/6 now, photo alligned UV process to match up and line up all the pixels as best as possible, Apple has truly diminished a ton of bad LCD characteristics

also why not mention any OLED disadvantages? and how they are able to suffer permanent screen burn in much easier and faster then a LCD display can, OLED displays dont go as bright as LCD displays (only in sunlight they can, no where else), 50% power efficiency advantage for LCD's when displaying whites and white content(90% of websites have white background content and alot of apps have white content in it and white backgrounds), worse color shift then LCD's at viewing angles, and so fourth,

both have their advantages and disadvantages

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Amoled because it's the key ingredient for Oculus Rift. VR will be blowing up and Apple (plus others) will be left behind if they ignore it.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Amoled because it's the key ingredient for Oculus Rift. VR will be blowing up and Apple (plus others) will be left behind if they ignore it.
I don't see how it'd be a commonplace thing. A minority (enthusiasts primarily) will try it out then that's about it. I doubt you'll see people walking around in public with VR headsets.

I don't think VR should even be a deciding factor, and no, Apple doesn't need to adopt VR to "stay in the game."

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Now that amoled has overcome its critical drawbacks compared to lcd - brightness and color accuracy- it is quite decisive now that amoled is the superior display.

While amoled has over overcome its critical drawbacks, lcd is still stuck with its - light bleed, contrast loss at higher brightness, uneven or yellowish screen, color and brightness degradation with increasing viewing angle.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Now that amoled has overcome its critical drawbacks compared to lcd - brightness and color accuracy- it is quite decisive now that amoled is the superior display.

While amoled has over overcome its critical drawbacks, lcd is still stuck with its - light bleed, contrast loss at higher brightness, uneven or yellowish screen, color and brightness degradation with increasing viewing angle.

Half of the drawbacks you listed are manufacturing defects...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Half of the drawbacks you listed are manufacturing defects...
Maybe I should break one of those into 2 points. - uneven back lit. This is not a defect but inherent in any lcd.

----------

AMOLED is still not as bright as LCD, still consumes more power, still no viable RGB pixel arrangement, burn-in hasn't been completely eliminated, and is notably more expensive to manufacture.

Sure it'll be the preferred standard soon but it hasn't 'won' the battle.
Under normal use at max amoled is bright enough to kill your eyes over time. Outdoor note4 amoled can boost to much higher brightness than 6. in fact amoled do not need that much brightness to be more legible than lcd due to its infinite contrast and no degradation of brightness or contrast at increasing viewing angle.

Talk about pixel arrangement is just fluff at 500+ PPI like note4. Burn in? By the time this happen the phone would have eol. Cost? note 4 is still cheaper than 6+

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see how it'd be a commonplace thing. A minority (enthusiasts primarily) will try it out then that's about it. I doubt you'll see people walking around in public with VR headsets.

I don't think VR should even be a deciding factor, and no, Apple doesn't need to adopt VR to "stay in the game."

Remember what Apple said about huge phones for the last 5 years? Only reason why Apple released a huge phone in 2014 is because they saw the writing on the wall; there was a market for large phones. Same will happen when Samsung and Oculus masters portable VR in the next 3 years. Apple will have to play catch up yet again.

And no; current VR tech is not meant to be used in public unless you're on a airplane. But I do see public VR use in the next 10 to 15 years once technology shrinks down to make it unnoticeable. Picture a pair of sunglasses with super thin extremely high res bendable lcd's with the electronics fitting into the arms. The smartphone as we know it today will be obsolete. People will look back on Gear VR as the first consumer grade product that started it all.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Maybe I should break one of those into 2 points. - uneven back lit. This is not a defect but inherent in any lcd.

----------

Under normal use at max amoled is bright enough to kill your eyes over time. Outdoor note4 amoled can boost to much higher brightness than 6. in fact amoled do not need that much brightness to be more legible than lcd due to its infinite contrast and no degradation of brightness or contrast at increasing viewing angle.

Talk about pixel arrangement is just fluff at 500+ PPI like note4. Burn in? By the time this happen the phone would have eol. Cost? note 4 is still cheaper than 6+

The Note 4 doesn't have 515ppi. Also, "AMOLED do not need that much brightness..." is a cop out.

Also not everyone swaps phone every two years. Note 4 can be more expensive depending on where you buy from. Note Edge is just more expensive pure and simple.

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung will show off its 740ppi 5.9 in ultra hd super amoled display at ces next year.

Anyone want to wager that's it's going to be the best display at the show?

It's the display going in the oculus vr headset

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The Note 4 doesn't have 515ppi. Also, "AMOLED do not need that much brightness because"...is a cop out.

Also not every swaps phone every two years. Note 4 can be more expensive depending on where you buy from. Note Edge is just more expensive pure and simple.

Why Note 4 doesn't have 515ppi? sub pixel argument doesn't hold water. So note4 has 515x2.5 and 6+ has 400x3 subpixels doesn't negate the fact that it is still 515ppi.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Lol no, at max brightness and boost mode, it's still less nits than iPhone 6 at max brightness. Please don't spread misinfor- ah who am I kidding?

Cost? note 4 is still cheaper than 6+
Might have something to do with the fact that the phone is made out of cheap plastic perhaps?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Lol no, at max brightness and boost mode, it's still less nits than iPhone 6 at max brightness. Please don't spread misinfor- ah who am I kidding?

Might have something to do with the fact that the phone is made out of cheap plastic perhaps?

And metal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.