Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Gah. That's extremely frustrating. Can I get a Steam version instead somehow? I was really looking forward to it and now I've wasted $40. :confused:

You haven't wasted $40 don't worry! The main game works fine right now and the expansion will start to work again soon, we have a test build with a fix in test now, once it passes our checks we'll submit it to Apple.

It's one of the risks of upgrading to a new OS before the first set of OS updates, sometimes new OS's have bugs/issues that need working around.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Is anyone playing the Borderlands titles on their 5K iMac?

I've been playing Borderlands 2 at 2560x1440 with all options maxed, and it's running liquid smooth with no apparent stuttering. However, it pegs my GPU at 106 degrees C for the entire time.

I haven't been able to figure out how to play at native res. The 5120x2880 resolution shows up as a choice, but if I select it, it drops back to 2560x1440 when I return to the game.

I have a 4GHz / M295X with 24GB RAM.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've been playing Borderlands 2 at 2560x1440 with all options maxed, and it's running liquid smooth with no apparent stuttering. However, it pegs my GPU at 106 degrees C for the entire time.

I haven't been able to figure out how to play at native res. The 5120x2880 resolution shows up as a choice, but if I select it, it drops back to 2560x1440 when I return to the game.

I have a 4GHz / M295X with 24GB RAM.

Do you play full screen or windowed?

Also, read my walk through on how to display your running FPS in borderlands 2, here https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20298476#post20298476

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
can somebody test call of duty advancewarfare on r9m290X ? (cuz i cAn only get the base version) on what res how much is the fps ?
and please assure you use newest drivers
another thing.,,
does 1080p gaming on such a big screen look blurry or its fine?

----------

i mean does the base model do any good about gaming?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Civilization: Beyond Earth runs smooth in native 5K Ultra (at least at the start of the game). But for some reason does not support UI scaling like Civ V does.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
UI scaling seems to be the crutch of most old games. I keep returning to Civ V for its excellent UI scaling support. I'd rather play games at native resolution now that I can. Disappoints me to see games that supports full 5K resolution at top frame rates, yet does not scale the UI. Hello Sid Meier's Railroads!

XCom and Civ V are so far my favourite games to play on this machine. Just stunning.

How the HECK isn't Beyond Earth supporting UI scaling yet Aspyr?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
UI scaling seems to be the crutch of most old games. I keep returning to Civ V for its excellent UI scaling support. I'd rather play games at native resolution now that I can. Disappoints me to see games that supports full 5K resolution at top frame rates, yet does not scale the UI. Hello Sid Meier's Railroads!

XCom and Civ V are so far my favourite games to play on this machine. Just stunning.

How the HECK isn't Beyond Earth supporting UI scaling yet Aspyr?

It really depends on the game engine and assets. UI scaling using engines and assets that were not designed to scale is very difficult to retro fit in afterwards.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Surely Civ BE was built with this in mind, no? The Civ V UI scaling is cromulent enough.

UI scaling is not a common feature (yet) in many games. I would not know about specific games but I do know it's not a common feature at the moment.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
UI scaling is not a common feature (yet) in many games. I would not know about specific games but I do know it's not a common feature at the moment.

Common or not, with retina displays becoming more common and cards able to support it, surely it would be short sighted to release a NEW game in 2014/15 without it? Kind of like how you'd be a pretty poor web developer to not make a retina ready web page for the last couple of years.

The net result is I am not playing Civ:BE yet. The UI is too tiny for playing full resolution, and once you have you're not going to go back to low res graphics. Instead I am playing Civ V with a pixelated UI and sharp graphics or XCOM which supports full res scaling for the UI.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Common or not, with retina displays becoming more common and cards able to support it, surely it would be short sighted to release a NEW game in 2014/15 without it? Kind of like how you'd be a pretty poor web developer to not make a retina ready web page for the last couple of years.

The net result is I am not playing Civ:BE yet. The UI is too tiny for playing full resolution, and once you have you're not going to go back to low res graphics. Instead I am playing Civ V with a pixelated UI and sharp graphics or XCOM which supports full res scaling for the UI.

Given few PC's (and no consoles) support/use Retina scaling it is a lower priority for games companies that some other tasks. I think as resolutions start growing and 4K becomes more standard in PC gaming (and possible for consoles) then retina scaling will become more standard.

It's not as simple as you might imagine, especially if the engine isn't designed for it. Things always look easier from the outside :) http://trib.al/2lYE3JM

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Given few PC's (and no consoles) support/use Retina scaling it is a lower priority for games companies that some other tasks. I think as resolutions start growing and 4K becomes more standard in PC gaming (and possible for consoles) then retina scaling will become more standard.

It's not as simple as you might imagine, especially if the engine isn't designed for it. Things always look easier from the outside :) http://trib.al/2lYE3JM

Yes indeed. Thing looks easier from the outside. But it was expected that Civ:BE, being basically the same engine that Civ V is, would support UI scaling (with higher resolution assets), when Civ V did (albeit as an after market hack).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
albeit as an after market hack

That is the key, after market hacks can have glitches and side effects as they are free, if you build something into a game it needs to work perfectly. :)

I am sure if the engines really are that similar a similar hack/mod will appear for the new game too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.