Retina iPad Mini 2 Reportedly Coming Alongside iPad Air 2, New Smart Cover and Case Colors

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the second-generation iPad Air has been the subject of a number of rumors ahead of its expected unveiling this Thursday, there has been less information about the Retina iPad mini, which is currently more or less identical to its larger sibling with the exception of display size.

Apple has generally been assumed to be planning a parallel upgrade for the iPad mini this month, but an early September report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expressed some uncertainty, saying the iPad mini would receive only a minor upgrade such as Touch ID, "if any", this year. Kuo's report was followed by another from Taiwanese media claiming the Retina iPad mini 2 was likely to launch early in 2015 ahead of the rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro".

But now a new report from Mac Otakara [Google Translate] claims the second-generation Retina iPad mini does indeed appear set for an introduction alongside the iPad Air at this Thursday's press event.

As part of this introduction, Apple also may update its Smart Cover and Smart Case lineup with new colors and a tweaked design compatible with these new tablets.

While leaked iPad Air 2 components have been abundant, details on the upcoming Retina iPad mini 2 have been sparse, with a few reports claiming the device will receive only a modest upgrade as compared to the flagship iPad Air 2. The Retina iPad mini 2 is rumored to include only a Touch ID fingerprint sensor and the A8 processor, as compared to the iPad Air 2, which may ship with a more powerful A8X processor, 2GB of RAM, Touch ID, a new gold color option, and more.

Apple is holding its press event this Thursday, October 16 at 10:00 AM PT on its Cupertino campus. Besides a new iPad Air and Retina iPad mini 2, the company also is expected to introduce new iMacs as well as unveil the launch date for the final version of OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini 2 Reportedly Coming Alongside iPad Air 2, New Smart Cover and Case Colors

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Early reports suggested that the iPhone 6 Plus would come months after the iPhone 6, yet both launched simultaneously.

It's all a guessing game.

Most articles now-a-days:

Apple may or may not do something at some point regarding a product and it may launch at some point in the future, maybe, if it doesn't get released than its been delayed for some amount of time.

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
I miss the days when their releases were more spread out. iPad in March, iPhone in summer/fall. New Macs popping up throughout the year. Now it seems like everything is squished into the holiday period.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
I miss the days when their releases were more spread out. iPad in March, iPhone in summer/fall. New Macs popping up throughout the year. Now it seems like everything is squished into the holiday period.
Apple events are the highlights of my year... (seriously) TT

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
New Air, Mini and iMac. No Mac mini.

Release dates for OS X Yosemite and iOS 8.1.

That's all we'll see.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Didn't Ming-Chi Kuo say the 6+ would come out in October or November? The guy obviously has no idea what he is taking about. Why even mention him?

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Agreed. This Fall-heavy line up is brutal on the wallet and speaking for myself only, I think it stretches Apple way too thin in pushing to release so many different items within the same timeframe.

I hope Apple will reconsider this release plan going forward.

Nice that there iPad Minis too, hopefully the screen/gamut will be a little better this year.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Haptic feedback and pressure sensitive touches on the iPads would be excellent, imagine all the crazy new gestures that could be done, or touch inputs for typing or drawing, or tapping hard on the app will throw it into split screen with your previously opened app or something of that nature.

Though I probably won't be upgrading my iPad air for many years, I don't think touchid warrants an upgrade.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I never believed these rumours that claimed there would be no iPad Mini 2.

Never made much sense to me. Why wouldn't Apple release a iPad Mini 2? Certainly not for a technical reason. They are popular.

Sirious

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
My guess is that Apple will announce the following on Thursday:
(Not including Mac updates)

2 Models of the Air:

• iPad Air Second Generation with Touch ID and speed bumps - including the A8X chip
  • iPad Air Second Generation with Touch ID and speed bumps - with A8X chip AND a Retina HD Display - perhaps only the 64GB and 128GB versions?

1 Model of the Mini
  • iPad Mini with Retina display second generation with Touch ID and other improvements such as speed and the A8 (not A8X) Chip. No Retina HD display for the Mini.

Stay calm. This is my guess.

Last edited:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Didn't Ming-Chi Kuo say the 6+ would come out in October or November? The guy obviously has no idea what he is taking about. Why even mention him?
He's not perfect, but he's pretty darn good. He basically nailed the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus details back in April. Everybody just assume he was wrong about 1920x1080 on the Plus since it wasn't obvious how it would work smoothly.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Like I just mentioned in the last story, I think the iPad Mini will only see a minor update. I think the iPad Air may be getting an X chip because they are going to @3X (maybe slightly scaled like the 6 Plus). In the past the X chip was usually denoted as such because it had a more advanced graphics chip—usually with more cores to handle the large retina display compared to the smaller iPhone displays. That's the only reason you would need an X chip that I can think of, unless they change the X to mean faster all around and put it in the iPad Pro. They might keep it at 1GB to limit split screen multitasking to the larger, flagship iPad Air.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Agreed. This Fall-heavy line up is brutal on the wallet and speaking for myself only, I think it stretches Apple way too thin in pushing to release so many different items within the same timeframe.

I hope Apple will reconsider this release plan going forward.

Nice that there iPad Minis too, hopefully the screen/gamut will be a little better this year.
Hopefully the Watch is a sign that Apple will start moving some stuff to the spring. Going 9 months with next to no product updates and then updating a bunch of stuff the span of a month is ridiculous.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
My guess is that Apple will announce the following on Thursday:
(Not including Mac updates)

2 Models of the Air:

• iPad Air Second Generation with Touch ID and speed bumps - including the A8X chip
  • iPad Air Second Generation with Touch ID and speed bumps - with A8X chip AND a Retina HD Display

1 Model of the Mini
  • iPad Mini with Retina display second generation with Touch ID and other improvements such as speed and the A8 (not A8X) Chip. No Retina HD display for the Mini.

Stay calm. This is my guess.
So basically you're thinkning if someone wants an improved display over the current iPad Air it will be more expensive. Seems like a lot of sku's to maintain, especially if Apple keeps the current Air at a lower price in the lineup.

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Wow, Eddy Cue wasn't joking when he said,
'Later this year, we’ve got the best product pipeline that I’ve seen at Apple in my 25 years at Apple."
(sarcasm).

Sure, yearly speed bumps are fine, but when you make a statement like this, and I expect more. I would love to be wrong.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
yeah, what's up w/ trying to make money during the peak of holiday buying season? jeeze!

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
I can't understand why people give a like on the "limiting split screen multitasking to Air" idea, when the campagin Apple made for iPad mini was "full iPad experience in a smaller form factor". I certainly hope iPad mini has it too, if any.

:|

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Ms. Kuo was pretty much right. A few were available the 19th, but most were unavailable until October.

Just because she doesn't know the specifics on the announced launch doesn't mean she's not right about the supply chain. Expect very slight supply of the iPad Mini Retina 2 until January.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Haptic feedback and pressure sensitive touches on the iPads would be excellent, imagine all the crazy new gestures that could be done, or touch inputs for typing or drawing, or tapping hard on the app will throw it into split screen with your previously opened app or something of that nature.

Though I probably won't be upgrading my iPad air for many years, I don't think touchid warrants an upgrade.
On the last earnings call Tim Cook said Apple had "interesting" things planned for iPad. iPad growth is stagnat and I can see the larger iPhone taking share from iPads. On Thursday I hope we see more than updated internals and Touch ID. To me those are a given. Show us something we weren't expecting, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.