Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
okay, almost any.

----------

Here are your current TV and your future TV:

angularresolutiondimini.png

Just because you can't see pixelation doesn't mean you wouldn't benefit from higher resolution. Just ask those who had a chance to see an 8K TV.

At 3 meter, angular resolution of your 32'' 720p TV is 95 pixels per degree. 46'' 1080p would be 99 pixels per degree.

How does one measure "realness?"

Litany

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
While it is a very capable machine, I don't see it being around for much longer.

Blah blah blah.

People have said the same about the iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Air and iPod Classic. All still selling strong 5+ years on.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
How does one measure "realness?"
You don't measure it, you ask participants to choose better looking image in a "blind test". One image has super high angular resolution or is a real object watched through synopter and the other one is the same image with lower angular resolution. Then you make a correct probability chart like this one.

angularresolutioncorrec.png

That way, you can see that everything above 50% correct probability is perceivable by average person.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
That depends on the requirements of the external Retina monitors if/when they come out.

Thunderbolt maxes out at 2560x1440 resolution, which wouldn't even be able to drive the 15" macbook display. It's possible a 27" retina display would require two thunderbolt channels. :eek:

Or, maybe it's only a software limitation? The HD3000 would likely struggle at anything over 2560x1440 anyway, even if a patch enabled higher resolutions over thunderbolt.

spike8585

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2009
Thunderbolt maxes out at 2560x1440 resolution, which wouldn't even be able to drive the 15" macbook display. It's possible a 27" retina display would require two thunderbolt channels. :eek:

You can run two 2560x1440 displays off of one thunderbolt connection...

HenryHealy

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Blah blah blah.

People have said the same about the iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Air and iPod Classic. All still selling strong 5+ years on.

I don't think so there. I don't remember people saying anything about the iMac, etc. Plus, why would someone buy a Mac mini when they can buy a MacBook that is better for a fraction of the cost more?

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
ViewSonic 4K display

@ 3840 x 2160 n in need of i7 cpu to run it...
its 150 ppi panel 31.5" in size...

Oh you're wanting the price ? Mid-sized Car ($30k -$40k ) :eek:
There is absolutely no reason it should cost that much. However, it does because this way they are telling you "Look at this amazing technology. It's so amazing it costs $30k!" and then after a year or two, price is significantly lower and you go "Whoa! This thing was $30k and now it's only $_k! It's a great value."

By no calculation of panel price can one end up with $30k or $40k for 31.5'' panel. Price is artificially inflated - basically made up.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think so there. I don't remember people saying anything about the iMac, etc. Plus, why would someone buy a Mac mini when they can buy a MacBook that is better for a fraction of the cost more?

In what way is MacBook better than 2011 Mac Mini? They do have screens of course, but if you do not need one, or the portability, the Mini is the better solution.
For 799$ you get a dedicated graphics card, which the cheaper MacBooks do not have, and the Radeon 6630m is still better than the Intel 4000 integrated graphics...
It all depends what your needs are, but to say that MacBook is better than the Mini is somewhat an overstatement.

theRAMman

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
this thread seems a little pointless since its down to the operating system more than the computer when it comes to high-resolution screens, ok a better graphics card speeds things up considerably, but most of the retina stuff is already in lion and will be even more intergrated into mountain lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.