Retina Macbook Pro 13" Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dtakias, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dtakias macrumors member

I don't contribure much over here but I got delivery of my rMBP 13inch 256GB a few days ago and I had to say a few words.

OMG, this is the best laptop I ever had! The screen is absolutely amazing and I had loads of high quality IPS/PVA screens in the past.

This thing is dead quiet. I still haven't heard the fan coming on, despite having vmware fusion running on it as well.

Build quality is perfect, I really can't blame it and i have absolutely no regrets about my purchase :cool:

Do you guys use a screen protector and if yes can you suggest anything? For now I only bought a case:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251240961377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Glad you like it!

I dont use any screen/keyboard protectors, just iCarbons.com skins to protect against surface scratches.

3. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

I almost bought the icarbons but I read somewhere that the skin may case damage/marks to the screen. Any ideas?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its not a case and it doesn't go on the screen... kind of odd you'd hear that.

I only use the top/bottom pieces, I didn't order the middle/keyboard area piece because I found it hideous.

5. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

I am talking about the skin attached to the keyboard area and when you close the lid it may get in touch with the screen.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive never heard of it touching and ruining screens, but then again I didn't order that piece because I think its hideous.

7. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

It's probably all rubbish anyway. Now I need to get the thunderbolt to ethernet, it's only £25 over here... oh well :rolleyes:

8. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I'll echo the OP's first post......

....got mine on Wednesday and could not be happier.

It goes well with my new iMac 21.5 too.

I'm looking at the new CaseLogic case...... or this....

9. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

10. MACelmore macrumors regular

11. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

They are quality built machines. My second apple laptop. My old 2010 air still going strong with no issues. Hopefully my new 15 retina will last just as long. Logic board failures are common for apple laptops right?

12. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

Is it worth getting the apple care for the retina? it's a shame Apple doesn't do 3 years like lenovo on the high end thinkpads...

13. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Apple care is a good investment imo. But I preffer Squaretrade as it covers accidental. But good lord the price diff is stopping me. :(

14. B..., Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

Definitely worth it. These are expensive machines and you should have protection for them. But only if you are going to be using it for more than one year. All you need is one $300 replacement of the logic board for it to be worth it.

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

But you've only had it a few days though. :eek: Curb your zeal and run it through its paces first.

16. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

Some laptops are like women, you can tell from day one if she is the right one :D

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

bam! :)

18. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

:d

19. Robster3 macrumors 68000

20. lanno85 macrumors newbie

aside from the scrolling lag issue(chrome) and the vertical lines i get on the screen because of the lag i think this is the perfect laptop for now for non gamers. i noticed that facebook photos looks pixelated on chrome, safari webkit especially on best retina display setting. best display setting i think is 1440x900. fb photos are now sharp but only on safari native app fullscreen. still not on chrome and webkit.

21. dtakias thread starter macrumors member

I haven't noticed any lag yet on my Chrome and this is my main browser at the moment. Also Facebook photos look as sharp as on Safari. I am using v26.0.1410.43.

Office for Mac looked really fuzzy but after the latest update it's now very sharp.

22. lanno85 macrumors newbie

good to hear that your not having any lag issues especially on chrome. you can try to download safari webkit and compare it with chrome. see if there really is no scrolling lag especially on facebook and other heavy loaded websites. you can also try to set your display to 1440x900. open facebook on safari fullscreen and compare you HQ photos with chrome. cause mine when set to 1440x900, photos are as sharp as i would want to them be(SAFARI). just like how i edited them. but again only in safari and not on chrome which is my main browser as well

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

24. maxosx macrumors 68020

I have both the 13" & 15". After Apple issued the latest update the 15 runs cool & quiet. I greatly prefer the 15. It's slightly larger footprint is barely noticeable. The extra screen size is more than worth it. The difference in weight is negated as its spread out over the slightly wider, deeper case. It's the best MBPr yet.

25. Robster3, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

Robster3 macrumors 68000

I asked as i have a 15" refurb 2 days old that gets hot back of keyboard, mainly with video or when i was transferring iPhoto and files. Not sure if to swap for a 13"