Retina MacBook Pro Audio Quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xsdeus, Jul 29, 2012.

1. xsdeus macrumors regular

Because of the Retina MacBook Pro's newly designed speakers, I had great expectations for my new laptop's audio quality.
    However, the audio clips so much, even at 12/16 bars. Sometimes, the audio can be heard clipping even at 6/16 bars. I only use iTunes to purchase my movies and songs, and this should ensure that the lack of audio quality is a hardware problem and not that of a software.

For you, the other owners of the Retina MacBook Pro, do you think I may have a defective model? Or is this something that is to be expected? I had a 2008 Unibody MacBook and it did not suffer from audio clipping as much as my Retina MacBook Pro.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Take it to Apple, Retina speakers should be better than a late 2008 aluminum MacBook's speakers.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

are you sure its actually clipping or are you getting random crackling distortions?

4. xsdeus thread starter macrumors regular

I've been saying that it was clipping because that's what I believe is happening based on descriptions of audio clipping. However, because I can't actually find an example of audio clipping, I can't really confirm this.

The best I can describe what's happening is: I'm playing a song or a movie, and the entire motherboard seems to resonate and the sound becomes somewhat distorted. It's as if the speakers don't have enough power or something. And this happens at volume levels as low as 37.5 percent (6/16 bars)

5. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Take it in. That's not right.

6. jaqueh macrumors member

same thing happens to me on brand new 15 rMBP