Retina Macbook Pro Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxDriveNxx, Jul 19, 2012.

1. xxDriveNxx macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    Received my new rMBP a couple of days ago, and am running the GM release of 10.8. I've been having a few issues that I am curious to see if any other people are having.

1) Fans- When my MBP is goes to sleep (lid closed or open), about 5-10 minutes after the fans shoot up to maximum speed (the case still feels cool) and won't stop until I wake the computer and use it for awhile.
    2) Shutting down- More often then not, when I select the shut down option from the dropdown menu, it shuts off, and then restarts itself automatically. I then have to shut it down again, and then it will work.
    3) Graphics tearing- It's not awful, but there is definitely some minor tearing issues present for me.

Has anyone else encountered any of these? I'm especially interested in the first two, as searches haven't returned much and I'm worried it might be a faulty hardware issue.

2. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

1) Never had that happen on any of the 3 rMBP's I've had to exchange.

2) Haven't had this happen either.

3) Saw this in some 3D games but it seemed to get worse when the system reached it's throttle down temps. The first two units I had both exhibited this issue. It wasn't enough to drive me to return the unit or even to make the game difficult as it was intermittent and minor. Haven't played 3D games on the 3rd unit yet.

I haven't seen any serious functional glitches like you describe. The only thing I'd say is the first one definitely seemed slower, and definitely ran cooler. Too bad I didn't run geek bench on all of them to verify.

All my returnable issues have been cosmetic flaws or hardware screen issues, in the latest case it was image retention.

On one hand I'm really frustrated that I haven't gotten the perfect Retina Macbook Pro yet. On the other hand the computer is truly awesome. That fact that it's so awesome makes me want it to be perfect all the more, perhaps its a form of insanity. :p

3. xxDriveNxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Were you running Mountain Lion on any of these? I immediately upgraded to the GM as soon as I had the laptop out of the box, so I never ran Lion at all.

4. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

Nope. Lots of software these days is beta, when it's admitted to be beta it scares me.

5. sazza85 macrumors member

Does the fan speed also increase when shutting down the computer? Either way I had this fault on the 2011 MBP and it was exchanged right away, no one in apple tech liked the sound that it was making as it sounded like the MBP was ready for take off.

6. xxDriveNxx thread starter macrumors newbie

The fan isn't overly loud in any way, it just seems to randomly maximize its speed when the computer is asleep sometimes. Whether the lid is open or not, it still randomly occurs. I'm considering reverting to Lion tonight to see if the issues I'm having exist there as well.

7. Jabroni macrumors newbie

Your not alone, Ive been experiencing too the same sympthons 1 and 2 on my new rMBP..

Found any solution for it?? Ive been in touch with a tech guy via phone, but we havent figured out what could be causing it... what is wierd is that under use the laptop works greats (fan speed etc), but sometimes when it gets to sleep/shutdown, the fans go to full throtle, until I turn it on, and after like 1 minute they start to throttle down to ~2000rpms (and as soon as resuming ive checked proccess running/temperatures, and cpu usage is at 0%, and temps ~30-35 degrees

8. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

My screen tears really bad whilst using safari.

9. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

No to all your questions. My rMBP is quiet. No fan ramp ups or auto restarts. Take it to an Apple store.

10. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I can't imagine the consequences if your GF or wife reads this paragraph... :D

11. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

This.

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

what kind of cosmestic flaws do you mean?

mine got with wear on the rubber feet, that bad? lol

13. feifei62 macrumors newbie

rMBP shutdown and restarting

I just got my rMBP last month and once I installed some programs such as Office for Mac, I experienced white screen with a message saying it will restart - had six of these - called the hotline at Apple and they asked me to restore from back up disc and so far no problem - touch wood - any one has a similar problem?:confused:

14. appletwig macrumors newbie

What kind of tearing is it? Can you take a screen shot of it (cmd+shift+3)? Do you require a reboot to resolve it? I started another thread regarding the same tearing/flickering/graphics glitch problems ive encountered.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15482114#post15482114

15. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I will take a screen shot next time it happens. I do not require a reboot to resolve it. It only requires scrubbing or highlighting.

16. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Sorry this took so long. But here is what happens to me.

Attached Files:

17. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've seen vids on YouTube showing the same issue with the rMBP. I'd contact Apple.

18. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

So it isn't a software issue?

19. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't know but most users don't seem to be experiencing it with the same OS, so I'd contact Apple to hear what they have to say.

20. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I am just afraid they would A) take my computer for a while. B) switch it out and give me one with an LG screen.

21. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You'd rather have a jacked up motherboard or GPU or CPU than get an LG screen? OK. Logic intact.

22. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I don't want screen burn-in, or to be computer less. LG screen is okay if it works.

Besides, Samsung is probably sending their screens with poison in them after that court case ;)

23. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

It could be symptomatic of a very expensive issue, so I'd contact them right away to get it straightened out if need be.

24. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Contacted them and went into the store. Had me reset the PRAM and stuff. We will see if it happens again. But I couldn't replicate it and they never heard of it so they couldn't help me with it.

25. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

It happened again.

Attached Files: