Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I am kinda of tired of those people who call us "perfectionist" or "nitpickers" or "OCD"

The problem is serious, and doesn't suit a quality product.

This is how it looks on mine. And oh. I use this machine to work, to make a living, not to scroll around on Facebook ;)

First picture shows my design program. Second picture shows what you see after 5 min. on a grey background.
What do you do for a living? That looks like pretty complicated designing! lol

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
A cheap-shot is all you can come up with when you are not able to respond with a well thought-out response?

That's just pathetic... :rolleyes:

Reading comprehension. Reading comprehension. Reading comprehension.

It was not about you, it was about Denzo's comment on how Image Retention only matters if you work for the President.

----------

Did the test for at least 15 min. I unfortunately have an LG screen. Zero IR.

I'm no fanboy and if there was any issue over this $2200 machine I would flip the fu*k out. However, it seems fine. I've had it since June, although I've used it mostly in clamshell with dual monitors.

LP154WT1-SJA1

How long have you owned the retina? It could take up to 8 weeks as per comments on the Apple thread. Some bought in July, just now are noticing retention, increasingly.

----------

I have a Sammy Screen. Havent seen any ghosting of any sort. Is this problem LG specific?

Samsungs don't have the Image Retention issue. Still check for typical LCD defects like backlight leak, discoloration or dead pixels. But you would be IR-free. Congrats!

----------

I have done the same thing in the past and it worked for me too. I use a soft microfiber cloth to avoid damaging the surface of the display.

Bit of terminology nitpicking: Dead pixels are unlikely to come back to life. In your case it's a stuck pixel. Those can be fixed sometimes which is effectively what you did.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
I'm planning on buying one. Can I ask the sales person to check if it's a Samsung display before really purchasing it?

Sep 10, 2012
So I'm off to an Apple Store today to pick up a mid range (512gb) rMBP.

I was going to place a fresh order online today but I really, really cannot be asked with all of the rigmarole of returning it if there are (and I am expecting there to be!) any issues.

I would have preferred 16gb of ram but will just go with the stock 8gb. It's ridiculous that I have to make such a sacrifice but that's just the way it is - sadly.

I'll open it up in store and check that it is a Samsung panel, using the terminal command. If it's an LG, I'll request a replacement and ask them to select a machine from "further down the pile" in the hope that it will be from a different/Samsung batch.

It will be difficult to fully check for dead pixels under the store's lighting, but I can at least check for obvious issues. It really is ridiculous that a customer has to go through this, but it's a lot of dough so I'd rather hunt for issues now so that the machine can be swapped for another, than notice them later and be stuck (excuse the pun!) with it ...

Is there any way of ensuring it's a Samsung panel from the serial number? If there is, can someone please let me know and I'll ask them to pick one out accordingly. Cheers.

Oh by the way, there is also some backlight bleeding with the one that's going back but that really didn't bother me. The dead pixel I found last night was the final straw when deciding to back it.

Anyway, wish me luck!

Last edited:

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
"Rev A" would actually be the second version, not the first. For example, the iPad 2, and the iPad 2 Rev A. The Rev A is the newer model.

Revision A is commonly used to denote the first version of a product in the Apple lineup.

Last edited:

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I'm planning on buying one. Can I ask the sales person to check if it's a Samsung display before really purchasing it?

So I'm off to an Apple Store today to pick up a mid range (512gb) rMBP.

I'll open it up in store and check that it is a Samsung panel, using the terminal command. If it's an LG, I'll request a replacement and ask them to select a machine from "further down the pile" in the hope that it will be from a different/Samsung batch.

Is there any way of ensuring it's a Samsung panel from the serial number? If there is, can someone please let me know and I'll ask them to pick one out accordingly. Cheers.

Anyway, wish me luck!

You can ask but they have no way of saying apart from opening the box and running the terminal command.

Sep 10, 2012
You can ask but they have no way of saying apart from opening the box and running the terminal command.

Nice one, buddy.

Thanks for the reply.

Sooooooo ... I made it half way to the Apple Store then turned around! I really want the 16gb ram upgrade as it is such a great upgrade for a relatively small price (I remember just a few years back when the 8gb ram upgrade for the 17" MBP was something crazy like £600!).

Anyway, I ordered the machine completely fresh from Apple earlier today. The machine that I currently have is all boxed up and is being collected via courier tomorrow to complete the return.

The new order is due to be delivered 28 Sep - 02 Oct and my degree begins on 04 Oct so please let it be perfect for me!

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas

On the Apple forum on this topic, some users report some Apple store geniuses taking pity on them and admitting to having a Ripley system [never heard the term before, I'm just quoting]. Geniuses were then able to pick out a Samsung model from stock without having to open the box.

Edit: at other stores, the geniuses and even managers claimed that Apple had no such system, and that they were unable to tell without opening boxes, and obviously weren't willing to do it. The theory on the thread is that it is official Apple policy to deny the existence of said system, but that some of the geniuses were cooler than others about helping out.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Reading comprehension. Reading comprehension. Reading comprehension.

It was not about you, it was about Denzo's comment on how Image Retention only matters if you work for the President.

Writing comprehension, Writing comprehension. Writing comprehension.

You quoted part of my post and then wrote a comment. And I'm supposed to figure out that you were actually referring to another person's post?

:rolleyes:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
A bit off topic ..
But people mocking plasma TV for having image persistance and burn-in problem. While it's not uncommon for LCD for having it too.

Yet plasma gives you better contrast, clarity, black level and virtually 0 response time. And in my experience, plasma generally more durable than LCD. I had an fancy thin LED for just under 2 years before it developed lines, weird colors and $#it, while my plasmas has been going strong for almost 5 years, and counting!
Not to mention a low-end plasma TVs can beat the hands down of a fancy and more expensive LED ones.

So please, go back to Plasma for TVs, it is an excellent technology. Stop pushing the LCD tvs. They're crap for TVs, for a monitor, maybe.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
So, the 2000+ laptop has a MAJOR flaw in it? People keep buying it, despite the fact that it has MAJOR issues, and Apple won't spent that valuable " profit space " to fix it.

I've NEVER had an LCD, LED, or IPS do this.

But hey, its made by Apple, so it must be OK.

It amazes me why people would spend money on a product with such a huge failure rate.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So, the 2000+ laptop has a MAJOR flaw in it? People keep buying it, despite the fact that it has MAJOR issues, and Apple won't spent that valuable " profit space " to fix it.

I've NEVER had an LCD, LED, or IPS do this.

But hey, its made by Apple, so it must be OK.

It amazes me why people would spend money on a product with such a huge failure rate.

Well apparently Sheeps enjoy being milked dry :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Writing comprehension, Writing comprehension. Writing comprehension.

You quoted part of my post and then wrote a comment. And I'm supposed to figure out that you were actually referring to another person's post?

:rolleyes:
Yes, you should have figured that out.
You should look up the word: commiserate.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I read one guy, FIVE failures, and he keeps coming back.

Good Mac vs PC ad " Sure! Our screens are a little lower resoulation! But they actually work! "

When will "PC " manufacturers learn how to make a trackpad that works?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
When will "PC " manufacturers learn how to make a trackpad that works?

I'll gladly take good hardware that WORKS over a track pad with " Gestures ".

I don't understand how Kool Aid Drinkers blow 2500+ on a laptop, that breaks, over and over and over again, gets returned over and over and over again. And keeps coming back.

rMPB, not my kinda laptop, hardware is weak. But that display is amazing. If I were to buy one, the display is the primary reason. But....unless you get a Samsung display....the display does not.....work?

anguz

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2006
Sad :( handing mac to Genius Bar

So I have the issue. It is easy to demonstrate after 5 minutes of having anything on the screen. Very sadly handed my mac back to the genius bar for 'repairing'. Hope they sort it out.

It was an LG screen according to the commands posted on this forum. Interestingly (or not) I use an LG IPS LED in the office and it never suffers from any problems like this.

Adding some insult to injury the 'Genius' who helped me simply said 'we haven't produced a display like this before' as some kind of explanation. Well I certainly can say that it is a marvelous experience to use the machine - but the image retention worries me about longevity in general.

I will be buying the 3 year applecare (I'm 2 months into owning this device) in case the screen melts.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Ugh! My second rMBP just started really showing IR again. I had seen some faint outlines on my wallpaper previously, but now it's starting to show up after only a few minutes... and really distinct... I'm glad it did when it did, Monday is the last day of my 14 day exchange period. I'm wondering if it's worth it, to get another ticket for the Samsung lottery.

:( What is happening to Apple?

julesmazur

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Good guy Samsung

Fortunately, I've got a Samsung-made display.
No sign of ghosting or any kind of image persistence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.