Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjd598, Nov 14, 2012.

1. rjd598 macrumors newbie

After a month or two of ownership the right side of my macbook pro is starting to make a whirring sound. I don't know if the sound was there before or not but i can definitely hear it now. anyone else have this problem? sitting in a quiet room it's obvious but in normal settings like a classroom you can't hear anything unless you put your ear to the laptop. any help would be appreciated!

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Have you tried installing SMCFanSettings to see what your rpm is / try posting a screenshot of that and one of iStat Pro dashboard widget

I'm sure it'll help find an explanation

3. rjd598, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

rjd598 thread starter macrumors newbie

there's istat let me know if you need me to get the smcfansettings screenshot. don't have that installed on my mac right now

Attached Files:

4. nephilim7 macrumors regular

It may be the fan bearings, I've had a few fans go out in my years of owning apple laptops. Take it to a genius bar.

5. rjd598 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was dreading that decision. im new to the mac world and am not too confident in giving up all my settings and installed programs. time machine takes care of all that right?

6. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yes, it will restore good as new. If you want a bootable backup (I use time machine, but before I make a trip to the genius bar or go on the road I make a bootable clone) use Carbon Copy.

7. rjd598 thread starter macrumors newbie

what's the difference between making a bootable backup and using time machine? i would just back up to my external hd with time machine and then take in the macbook to the genius bar right? what about the info and setting already on my mac assuming they replace the mac all together

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^

A bootable copy is basically a mirror image of your hard drive which can be easily copied over to a new hard drive--and your computer will be exactly as it was before. You can also use SuperDuper (the clone software I use). Just be sure to make your clone right before your take your MacBook Pro into the store.

9. rjd598 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhh thank you for explaining that. so what's the difference between time machine and a bootable copy of my hd

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^

Well for one, you can't boot your computer from Time Machine. But more importantly, Time Machine is not really a mirror image, it is much useful for restoring things that you deleted by mistake, or restoring parts of your hard drive. The clone is the way to go if you want a new hard drive to make your computer run as it did before.

11. rjd598 thread starter macrumors newbie

really appreciate the help!