Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Was looking at some geekbench results and it seems that smartphones have more power than this laptop?

For ultra portability, you might be better off with an iPad Air 2 and have a retina MacBook pro as a laptop.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Was looking at some geekbench results and it seems that smartphones have more power than this laptop?

Yeah, not surprising. Mobile manufacturers are putting grossly over-sized processors into mobile phones now because most the other specs are the same, so they need to one-up the previous generation and the competition in order to sell more units.

----------

my nextel has more power.

Yeah, uses more power maybe. LOL.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

For ultra portability, you might be better off with an iPad Air 2 and have a retina MacBook pro as a laptop.

Can you run the full version of Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office on a Samsung Galaxy? No? There you go.

Also, anyone who thinks specs is what makes a device doesn't know anything about usability or real product success.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Can you run the full version of Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office on a Samsung Galaxy? No? There you go.

Also, anyone who thinks specs is what makes a device doesn't know anything about usability or real product success.

You can run office on iOS for certain so probably on Andriod as well. You have to buy a yearly license. What ever the Retina MacBook can do, smartphones and tablets have the power to handle it also. And they are more portable.

And iOS and Andriod are probably much lighter and efficient than OS X because they need to work with weak devices.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
You can run office on iOS for certain so probably on Andriod as well. You have to buy a yearly license. What ever the Retina MacBook can do, smartphones and tablets have the power to handle it also. And they are more portable.

And iOS and Andriod are probably much lighter and efficient than OS X because they need to work with weak devices.

So then you probably don't need a laptop in your case.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

Instead of answering my question you avoided it. You cannot install and run a full version of Photoshop or Office on any smartphone. It is also not as productive. I would love to see a professional graphic designer or developer do anything productive using the scale down version of Photoshop on a smartphone (which I have).

Also, the mobile version of Office can do maybe 20% of what the full desktop version can do. Go and review/edit a 100 page legal document on a smartphone. It's a joke in terms of effectiveness. There is a reason why desktops are still around. They are the most productive machines we have. Sure, smartphones can do a few simple tasks but come nowhere close to real productivity.

Last edited by a moderator:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Instead of answering my question you avoided it. You cannot install and run a full version of Photoshop or Office on any smartphone. It is also not as productive. I would love to see a professional graphic designer or developer do anything productive using the scale down version of Photoshop on a smartphone (which I have).

Also, the mobile version of Office can do maybe 20% of what the full desktop version can do.

This is a media consumption device and not a workstation laptop. The office documents the majority of people make, they can do that on their tablet or smartphone without a problem.

You're missing the point when you buy this laptop for running spreadsheets with extensive VBA codes and external .dll's in Bootcamp which can take 1 hour to run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fineance

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2015
This is a media consumption device and not a workstation laptop. The office documents the majority of people make, they can do that on their tablet or smartphone without a problem.

You're missing the point when you buy this laptop for running spreadsheets with extensive VBA codes and external .dll's in Bootcamp which can take 1 hour to run.

I know a lot of people who wrote their engineering doctoral dissertations on a Pentium Pro. It sounds to me like you are extremely inexperienced when it comes to actual productivity and what is required from a "workstation laptop." You do understand that speed is not the be-all end-all, right?

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
I do not know, I realize the geek bench scores but this machine performs well.

I also just purchased last years dell xps 13 /i7 /8 GB / 256 sad

The dell should run rings around the new rMB. IT DOESN'T.

This thing is growing on me daily

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Geekbench isn't the end-all be-all. While it is true that mobile processors are catching up, it's important to know that you are comparing the fastest ARM consumer processors on the market with one of the slowest and lowest voltage Intel processors. Intel specifically designed this chip for tablets and ultrabooks.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
This is a media consumption device and not a workstation laptop.

Shoot. I must have been dreaming about all the actual work I've accomplished on this laptop. Guess I'm off to return it. You sure saved everyone here with this wisdom. :rolleyes:

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

Really? Can you please post video proof of you importing, editing and exporting 4k video files in FCP on your smartphone? Can you please post video proof of you batch processing and then editing RAW files with multiple plug ins in Photoshop CC or CS6 on your smartphone? Can you post video proof of you creating and editing multiple tracks in Logic Pro X on your smartphone? Can you post video proof of you converting a 10GB 2 hour 1080p movie from MKV to MP4 in Handbrake on your smartphone? We'll be waiting...

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Really? Can you please post video proof of you importing, editing and exporting 4k video files in FCP on your smartphone? Can you please post video proof of you batch processing and then editing RAW files with multiple plug ins in Photoshop CC or CS6 on your smartphone? Can you post video proof of you creating and editing multiple tracks in Logic Pro X on your smartphone? Can you post video proof of you converting a 10GB 2 hour 1080p movie from MKV to MP4 in Handbrake on your smartphone? We'll be waiting...

I'm not saying I agree with the OP because I don't but to be fair you also also post video of the rMB performing the tasks that you specified. Especially that last one, the rMB would choke on that one.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I'm not saying I agree with the OP because I don't but to be fair you also also post video of the rMB performing the tasks that you specified. Especially that last one, the rMB would choke on that one.

Really? Because Ive done all of them, have you?

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I fully expect my rMB to run Handbrake on huge files. I'll let it run overnight. It will slow down but I can wait. No cell phone can do that at any speed.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Because Ive done all of them

So where are your videos? You are asking for videos from the OP yet you won't provide any videos yourself. I never said that the MBr can't run HandBrake just that it would choke on it.

I fully expect my rMB to run Handbrake on huge files. I'll let it run overnight. It will slow down but I can wait. No cell phone can do that at any speed.

I agree, I only question how well it can run HandBrake for extended periods of time. Please post your results.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
So where are your videos? You are asking for videos from the OP yet you won't provide any videos yourself. I never said that the MBr can't run HandBrake just that it would choke on it.

Thats because what I asked of him would be a total magic trick and Id love to see proof of his outrageous claims. Anyone with common sense knows the MacBook can do FCP, PS, LP and Handbrake.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Also, the mobile version of Office can do maybe 20% of what the full desktop version can do. Go and review/edit a 100 page legal document on a smartphone. It's a joke in terms of effectiveness. There is a reason why desktops are still around. They are the most productive machines we have. Sure, smartphones can do a few simple tasks but come nowhere close to real productivity.

The comparison was based on processing power, no? In a way it's a valid point to make, as this laptop has some significant compromises.

If you are after best productivity device , it's not the retina MacBook , it compromises speed for portability.

----------

A 5-7 year old computer will also run handbrake over night ;)

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The comparison was based on processing power, no? In a way it's a valid point to make, as this laptop has some significant compromises.

If you are after best productivity device , it's not the retina MacBook , it compromises speed for portability.

----------

A 5-7 year old computer will also run handbrake over night ;)

The best productive device is based on the user, not specs or hardware. The point of my previous posts is a smartphone is not as productive as a laptop in many ways. Thus, simply stating one device is "faster" than another does not equate that device to be "better".

If smartphones were that advanced and that productive corporations would not be using desktop computers. Also, "speed" is arguable. If Photoshop was installed on a smartphone would it run as smoothly as it would on a rMB? I strongly doubt it.

And, I will reiterate this again:
The best productive device is based on the user, not specs or hardware. Too often people assume one device, which happens to be their preference, is the ideal device for everyone in the world. People have different needs and uses, and based on those factors any device can be the "most productive".

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Oh really? Thanks for telling us what we already knew months ago Captain Obvious.

The reviews/benchmarks were not out a few months ago.

----------

The best productive device is based on the user, not specs or hardware. The point of my previous posts is a smartphone is not as productive as a laptop in many ways. Thus, simply stating one device is "faster" than another does not equate that device to be "better".

If smartphones were that advanced and that productive corporations would not be using desktop computers. Also, "speed" is arguable. If Photoshop was installed on a smartphone would it run as smoothly as it would on a rMB? I strongly doubt it.

And, I will reiterate this again:
The best productive device is based on the user, not specs or hardware. Too often people assume one device, which happens to be their preference, is the ideal device for everyone in the world. People have different needs and uses, and based on those factors any device can be the "most productive".

I completely disagree with comparing a smartphone to a laptop , useabilty/productivity if a major factor in favour of a laptop. Though If you professional workflow is dependent on processing power, and thus saving time, specs are a factor . You have a great machine, a smartphone cannot do want your rMB can.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
The reviews/benchmarks were not out a few months ago.

Everyone already knew months ago that the Core M powered MacBook would sacrifice power for portability and that it was not the best productivity device for power users.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Everyone already knew months ago that the Core M powered MacBook would sacrifice power for portability and that it was not the best productivity device for power users.

Read the title of the thread. Did you know that 2 months ago? Maybe as the machines are released we are finally knowing what that sacrifice is? As we are seeing benchmarks come in? Too hard to understand ? Care to tell us how the 1.3 version will fare? As you seem to know it all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.