Retina MBP - 13 - yes it scroll lags

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jinzen, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Jinzen macrumors 6502

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Since only ONE website seems to be choppy...
    ... did you consider that the website might be faulty too?

It's huge freaking website in the end ( having a crap-load of images )...
    ... even on PCs / desktops it doesn't scroll mega-smoothly.

Be serious...

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

Trust me, i've been using mine for about 4 hours and if I noticed ANY lag it would be on it's way back.

None.

Then again, 4 hours is 4 hours.

I wonder how many hours Vergie used his. 10 minutes? :D

Anyway, i love these sky-falling posts. Nothin like a little drama (that is, assuming you don't have some hysterical female around you 24/7) :D

4. sno1man macrumors regular

AMEN!

I think some people's brains scroll lag.

We had one guy in our office that was convinced that this scroll lag was endemic to the retinas and for that reason we should not buy any.

When we asked him to show us, he used Facebook and another site as an example. At first glance he appeared to be correct, but one of our engineers had a hunch and we did a different test.

Long story short, the "lag" was caused by the page being slow to fully load from the server. When we used a local caching server, the same pages were like butter.

People don't realize how variable and crappy their $25 month ISP can frequently be. They might go to speedtest.net get a number they think is OK and think that's it. There is a reason that commercial ISPs charge more for business connections

5. stevelam, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

stevelam macrumors 65816

um it scrolls fine on my 2008 macbook.

it also depends on what browser you're using. unfortunately the only one really speedy on the RMBP is safari. chrome is definitely slower.

----------

utter BS. heres my connection right now on a business connection at work.

[​IMG]

sites that are generally heavy in JS and images are definitely noticably laggy on my rmbp. meanwhile, they scroll fine on my 2008 macbook.

Testing this in chrome: http://www.ebay.com/new on my rmbp clearly shows lag and slowdown. If i drag it over to my external monitor, its much smoother.

6. sno1man macrumors regular

Utter Ignorance too as well....

You hopefully realize that there are a ton of other variables between the two machines that could cause a lot of differences

One important one is that the page being requested (even with chrome) is different between the two machines. For instance it will ask for higher res graphics if they are available.

I went to your link on my 15 retina and was lag free this morning. So what does that prove?

If you want to do an interesting experiment, Safari has the ability to tell sites it's a different browser such as IE or Chrome or even Safari for iPad. It's in the develop menu under user agent. You enable develop through the advanced settings tab.

When you do this, got to various websites under the different user agents settings with a stop watch and time it. I like nytimes.com. Not only will the times to load vary considerably, but so will the look of the page. (IE8 was slowest on mine)

PS. I actually prefer chrome since it seems to be faster generally and i like the interface a bit better

7. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

It will probably show some sooner or later. 4 hours of use is nothing. More usage is needed to determine this. Try using several non-Apple heavy software at once.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

Concur with Stevelam, both of us vacillated much on getting the rMBP 15 when it first came out, after using the screen > 2 weeks I couldn't return it hehe :D
    BUT to claim that the rMBP isn't more 'laggy' than laptops with less resolution is complete utter denial. Before I sold my 2011 MBP 15, I would routinely load up the same websites side-by-side and scroll around. Both had ML installed and running safari - The 2011 was much smoother with complex web pages. It's Apple's scaling that's killing the GPU as when you do the 'hack' to allow the full 2880 resolution it's actually much smoother.

9. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The Verge also scroll lags on the 2011 quad-core MBP 15" I use at work. And it's not even retina.

It even scroll-lags when using the discrete AMD graphics chip.

It scroll-lags on every computer I've tried it on. It's The Verge.

10. Maczor macrumors regular

Stutters on my late 2011 15" MBP as well ( tried it a few seconds ago ).
    Let's just stop this lagging nonsense now...

11. Jinzen thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, the 13 retina scroll lags on every single website, to different degrees. You can tell the framerate is sub 60. The Verge is just an obvious and a clear example.

No the Verge should not scroll lag on any modern day computer. Oh we'll.

12. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I didn't notice anything unusual or bothersome when I went to various sites on a rMBP-13.

I guess when you're specifically looking for things, you're more inclined to see them, but even still-- the UI didn't strike me as laggy. From my perspective it was the same as what I'm used to with my other macs (which is to say pretty smooth).

13. afterafx macrumors member

The Verge lags on my 15 rMBP. Its the website.

14. leman macrumors 604

The Verge is choppy on any computer and OS I have tried so far.

15. stevelam macrumors 65816

chrome is most obviously NOT faster simply because it doesn't have proper gpu acceleration yet. this is fact. you saying "it seems faster" is clearly wrong and shows obvious bias and denial.

as for requesting higher res assets, the ebay.com/new example doesn't have any retina assets loading.

as for user agent stuff which i'm quite familiar with since i'm a developer, obviously loading a page in different browsers will affect how the page renders especially if its using modern css etc which should gracefully degrade on older browsers if coded properly. that really has nothing to do with the fact that using the SAME browser on both screens and loading a non-retina optimized site clearly shows performance differences when scrolling.

you loaded up ebay.com/new in chrome on your retina screen and its perfectly smooth? utter bs.

16. AirThis macrumors 6502a

The Verge lags on all the computers I have including my six-core gaming rig. Am I bothered? Guess not...

17. moxxey macrumors regular

Same here. Agree.

You do have to wonder about some people's sanity when they find one of the most laggy websites....then open a new thread to tell us it's laggy on their new 13" rMBP. Do people think things through before posting?

The 15 rMBP is a little "laggy", but only if you go looking for issues. The problem with a lot of people is that they expect perfection. They expect to get a superb market-leading screen *and* no graphic/screen issues. You can't always have both. I'm really happy with my rMBP and I can live with a little lag here and there, if it means having this retina screen.

I'm sure some users become drama queens just to get themselves heard.

18. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Sometimes I wonder if MacRumors has the ability to see a real troll

19. stevelam macrumors 65816

explain to me why a 'superb market-leading screen' absolutely must have graphic/screen issues? so you think this is normal?

so lowering your expectations is a better way to cope then?

20. Jinzen thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually the point is that sadly the 13 is currently noticeably more laggy in scrolling in all comparable situations than the 15 retina, which is also less smooth than a regular 15.

You know, that's all.

21. sno1man, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

sno1man macrumors regular

If you are a developer I'm Steve Jobs Jr.:eek:
    Plus your belligerent tone and condescending tone make me think more likely you are a 15 year old posting from your parents basement.

This is my last response on the subject. It's obvious you can't accept any opinion besides your own so anybody that says anything that contradicts it must be full of BS.

Whatever dude, life is too short

22. shznit macrumors member

chrome://flags
    set "GPU compositing on all pages" to enabled and enable all the other GPU options as well.

23. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

There are a few sites all computers lag on....I dont think its the hardware on the Macbook Pro is the problem.

24. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Got mine today and there was scroll lag on this site and Facebook. Then i noticed i was on osx 10.8.1, just upgraded to 10.8.2 and its perfect now

25. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Good to know! Any UI lag?