Retina MBP, Boot Camp Drivers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple2000, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Apple2000 macrumors member

When will apple be releasing some updated boot camp drivers for the Retina Macbook Pro? Because currently, the screen looks very fuzzy. I haven't tried gaming yet (Skyrim is installing), but a lot of apps such as chrome appear all weird.

2. ladeer macrumors 6502

curious, how did u install windows without cd drive?

3. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Depends on which version of windows your running, I believe the only version that will correctly with the updated GPU and Retina display is Windows 8. Until Apple updates the drivers (Hopefully within the next month) That is the only operating system that I have seen work in bootcamp on the rMBP. This article may help:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6008/windows-8-on-the-retina-display-macbook-pro

;)

----------

Sorry to double post, but he probably installed it off a usb flash drive or external superdrive.

4. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Took me a good two hours to get it all figured out.

1. I took my windows 7 home premium disk, and put in in my early 2011 Macbook Pro.

2. I used disk utility to burn an image to the desktop.

3. I used a converted program to convert the .dmg file to a .iso file

4. I put the .iso on a USB

5. I put the usb into the Retina MBP, and used the boot camp assistant to install the .iso onto the USB.

6. I downloaded the drivers and placed them onto a separate USB.

7. I partitioned the disk and installed off the first USB.

8. On Windows 7, I put in the second USB and installed the drivers.

9. I made this thread, because the screen is all fuzzy, and apps like chrome are screwed up.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Jesus. I would have just gone and bought an external DVD drive before I went to all that trouble. I applaud your efforts

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You can wait until NVIDIA releases a stable driver for the GT 650M inside the Bootcamped rMBP. Or you can don the grey hat and make it work with modded alpha/beta drivers.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385467&page=2

Read comments #102, #121 and #126.

Profit.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Apparently Nvidia is the bottleneck for the drivers? I'm installing Windows 7 right now and it is so boring.

8. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will most definitely take a look at this tomorrow. Anyway, any idea on when NVIDIA will likely put out the final version of the drivers? You would think that they would be out, considering that they are selling the chip:confused:

9. dme92189 macrumors newbie

You can make it run properly in 7. I did so with no issue at all. The GPU driver it uses is 296.72 or something like that, and I was playing BF3 on it all weekend. It auto set the res to 2880 x 1800 with 150% DPI scale, so it looks SUPER good. I didn't really even do anything besides run the Boot Camp software package the Boot Camp Utility allows you to DL to a flash drive. Super simple.

No, you don't need Windows 8 to do this, and yes, there is a stable, fully functional nVidia driver out. System works like a dream and even all the function keys work. Just use Boot Camp Utility to dl that package and run it in windows, and you're set.

10. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't running BF3 at 2880 x 1800 on the 650m make the framerate absolute crap?

Does installing the nvidia 296.72 drivers allow a 1440x900 resolution without fuzziness?

11. dme92189 macrumors newbie

Oh haha no, I don't run BF3 at that, it would be horrifyingly bad. But I meant the desktop/Windows UI works great at that res. I don't know if those drivers allow for 1440x900 without fuzziness, (probably does not, that whole res multiplying thing is Apple I think, not necessarily nvidia, correct me if I am wrong please). Regardless, put it at 2880 and use 150% DPI scale, and you won't care! :p

Though for gaming, 1680 x1050 works and looks great to me, no fuzzys involved.

12. ladeer macrumors 6502

er.... oh dang i can't believe you went thru w/ all that. why can't my MBP 2011 act as an external CD drive via Thunderbolt?? Sigh I will just spend $80 for a superdrive I think.
    Thanks for all the works/info

13. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I never anticipated that I would be cursing the lack of a disk drive so soon. Ah well, I already burned all my movies to the HDD of my old computer and transferred them, so I guess that after i finish installing my core apps and games that are on disks, I will be just fine.

I also am now installing the Nvidia drivers. I will report back.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I haven't been playing any games yet but was able to stall the Nvidia drivers. Everything looks good so far.

15. acrafton macrumors 6502

Can you let me know if it worked and what you did? Thanks.

16. leenak macrumors 68020

I wrote it in the other thread but you need to download the drivers through Bootcamp assistant. One of the folders will be Nvidia.

17. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

I installed Windows 8. Everything works fine. The drivers are available from Apple, you just have to download them using the Boot Camp Assistant and put them on a USB stick/drive (Windows won't have network card drivers otherwise, so only USB will work).

Just set the resolution to the highest possible (2880x1800) and then set scaling to 200% to have a similar experience as on Mac OS (everything scaled up twice).

Also, Metro automatically scales up once the Boot Camp NVidia graphics drivers are installed.

The only problem with this setup is if you connect an external display, everything on it will be scaled up too and will be huge. It looks like Windows doesn't support separate scaling options for different monitors like Max OS does. What you can do is turn off desktop scaling and have the desktop on the external display while keeping Metro on the laptop screen (Metro automatically scales and is not dependent on desktop scaling options).

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

$80? Why would you buy the Apple drive when you can get one off of Newegg, Amazon or Tigerdirect for literally 1/4th the price?

edit: you could get an external Blu-ray drive for that price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151253

or you could just save yourself some cash:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135255

19. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Got Skyrim going on the new drivers, pretty awesome! High settings (Looks phenomenal) at 1680x1050 at a solid 35-40FPS. Very satisfied. Video incoming.

20. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Does anyone else find the IE is the only browser that works with the DPI scaling properly in Windows 7/8. I am running the 8 Release Preview and Chrome looks super fuzzy at 2880 and Firefox is tiny.

Thanks,

Y2J

21. acrafton macrumors 6502

The bootcamp cd only contains 32 bit drivers. I Installed 64.

----------

32 or 64 bit win 7? If 64 where did you gt the drivers?

22. OSMac macrumors 65816

I installed Win 7 x64 bootcamp this morning and ran included setup , all drivers installed fine?

The driver setup was inside the windows support folder on the usb stick bootcamp utility created.

Bootcamp is getting uninstalled, as temps sky rocket to 100c + under simple loads.

23. acrafton macrumors 6502

So you selected the second item in the bootcamp box (Download the latest windows support software. . .. . ) and it contained the 64 bit driver? On the cd it created for me the Nvidea 64 bit folder only contains ethernet and audio drivers but the 32 bit folder contains display drivers.

24. ladeer macrumors 6502

1. didn't know it's compatible as startup disk.
    2. blue ray can run over a USB? wow i didn't know.

25. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

This contains the newest Boot Camp drivers (15. June 2012):
    http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...pqng48t842cdsosqh28lft54fmswl/BootCampESD.pkg

If that does not work, try this (also 15. June 2012):
    http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...04pw9re5ggrfp3vuf8ew6r53asfz8/BootCampESD.pkg

(probably two different, hardware specific installers)