Retina MBP Owners: Post your problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleomycin, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bleomycin macrumors newbie

I would like to start a thread where anyone who owns a RMBP can list any problems they have had with the machine, just as an easier way to try and track down what may be software and hardware related. I'll list some of my issues:

Grey screen lockups: I've had 4 of these, 1 after resume from sleep, the others just using the the machine normally browsing in chrome canary, resizing a window, or a little after exiting a game of TF2. Crashlogs on pastebin for 2 of them here: http://pastebin.com/jjrg19cn and here: http://pastebin.com/6D97ekay

Graphical glitches: These seem to be exclusive to chrome canary. Entire sections of pages will render strange, sometimes smeared looking or solid random colors and texture, closing the tab resolves it. Tabs will lock up and need to be closed frequently, and graphical overlays from addons in the menu bar will be blank, or rendered wrong in some way. Probably chrome canary related, running at 1920x1200 resolution.

Has anyone else experienced any of this? Any other problems others would like to report?

2. jimmyz80 macrumors member

I've had some random graphics glitches were parts of certain windows were rendered and other parts showed through to the desktop. Sleeping and resuming seemed to clear it up though.

The more annoying problem is the new power cord, which is always coming unplugged haha.

3. markp99 macrumors member

Temporary problem, I hope. Not hardware related.

USB works fine on MAC & on Bootcamp, but does not work with Bootcamp via VMWare - which is my preferred work env. I boot into Windows via Bootcamp only when I need maximum CPU advantage (Database tasks), otherwise, Bootcamp via VMWare is fine.

4. cho26504 macrumors newbie

I would have to say yes, the power cord comes out way to easy compared to my last macbook 06, 2.6 got from BestBuy.

5. bryenz macrumors newbie

Yes good lord yes. I do not like the new MagSafe 2 at all. I liked the MS1 with my old Air, it bent at 90 degrees, the cord came off the side not the end, it took up less space, and for crying out loud, it stayed in. The new one falls out at a slight breeze.

6. Rmafive macrumors 6502

My main problem is that my retina Macbook Pro is stuck in Anchorage, Alaska!! :p

7. IceAero macrumors newbie

Well, I have had some issues with the WiFi losing internet. Strong signal, and nothing looks wrong, but no webpages load. Happened twice, both while downloading large files. Strange error; hoping that it isn't a persistent issue. Toggling the adapter on and off fixed it both time.

8. Alliekat9 macrumors newbie

Just got mine in today and after running for a while the display had an extremely green tint. Went away after leaving it off for an hour, but I am still going to apple tomorrow to see if it is a hardware issue and not something with the software. Anyone else have this problem?

9. wmouazzen macrumors member

10. Qbiinz macrumors newbie

i changed the icon on my download folder and the whole thing crashed. but i think it must have been an os problem. after the system rebooted the new icon is there and no new problems. it did send a crash report to apple though.

11. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I have drastic mood swings ranging from extreme elation and severe buyers remorse ever since I bought one. I'm thinking of taking it back because its exacerbates my psychological condition.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

All, you may want to note whether you restored from a backup from some other Mac if you're citing problems.

13. aliennerd macrumors member

I've had that as well, strong WiFi signal but web page fails to load with white screen while other devices connected to same WiFi load same pages without issue.

14. distilled macrumors newbie

I've noticed that sometimes my rMBP will use the dedicated GPU even when there are no applications running and the system is not plugged in. This burns the battery down very quickly.

15. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

My problem is I can't put this thing down. I'm in love. <3

16. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Main Problem: Buying this thing thinking I'd be ok returning it in 30 days and stepping down to a 13" Air...

17. bleomycin thread starter macrumors newbie

My main problem: Selling my 13" air to buy this thing thinking i would be ok without it. Getting the itch to sell my ipad now and replace it with a used air. The rMBP is still a huge pig that will suffocate you in bed compared to the air :p

18. Dronac macrumors member

I wonder how patched Lion was for the MBPr and how many issues would be resolved with a Mountain Lion upgrade.

19. kis macrumors 65816

Same "problem" here. While I absolutely love the Retina and definitely won't return it, I'll probably keep the Air as well. Just got to figure out how to pay back the credit card bill now :)

20. leenak macrumors 68020

I haven't had any issues other than standard 'known' things. This is my first MBP and I wasn't aware that they can get really warm. Doing things under OSX, even playing a game, I was ok. I booted up into Windows and played a game and the system got fairly hot but that apparently is a MBP thing.

21. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Addicted. Love this thing. I should be in bed early every night instead I'm up with my laptop!:p

22. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Its definitely a lot bigger than what I'm used to, less portable too. Its forcing me to change backpacks and just about everything else about my routine... but I'm not sure I could live without it now...

The option to increase the resolution, by itself is an amazing thing. I'm using it with some program that unlocks 2880 x 1440 and its insane! It's 4 times the space as the old MacBooks!

I dunno, I bought the new air's when they first came out in 2010 (the redesigned models) and I've been in love with them ever since. My main issue, however, has always been with syncing my work across machines. With this sucker, I can start work on a project at school and finish it at home, without having to put it on a usb or in dropbox or whatever...

For me, it's a desktop replacement... its just smaller than desktop replacements used to be!

23. macbook123 macrumors 68000

+1

24. doh123 macrumors 65816

My Intel HD 4000 got stuck on... on a reboot it would show in Power options as the checkmark for disabling auto switching, but after a while going back in there it would show the really old fashioned way like 2008 machines with "better battery" and "better performance" radio buttons... if I tried to change it it would say i had to log out and back in.

I used gfxcardstatus 2.2 updated to work with these, and it couldn't change it either, it had it stuck on the Intel HD 4000. I finally got it working right by reseting the PRAM, and its working fine for now...

25. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I was going to make a crude joke about how I've had to see a doctor about my erection persisting for more than 4 hours when using it, but yeah…this. :cool: