retina screen marks when opened up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PandaBrit, Jul 16, 2014.

1. PandaBrit macrumors member

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it's sort of hard to explain. I'll give it my best shot. Basically sometimes when I open my retina mac book pro there is like marks from my fingers on my screen which looks like i've pushed too hard, but all i've done is open up my macbook..

The mark goes away and doesn't leave any damage but just wondering why it happens.. I don't even think I'm pushing that hard either :S

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Are these fingerprint marks or are you seeing some sort of image retention?

Go here and switch to grey straight away, can you see your fingerprint marks?

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

3. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

I don't think its image retention, its just literally like when you push down on a calculator screen too hard that the screen goes funny, but then I don't think Im pushing down on the screen to hard when I'm opening it up. :S

could it be the fact that I have the cloth it comes with screen the screen and keyboard when closed?

4. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Hahahhaa, quite possibly matey. :rolleyes:

5. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

Mmm ok, i will keep the cloth separate then and see what happens

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Why do you keep the cloth on the keyboard anyway?

7. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

to protect the keyboard from scratching the screen

8. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

That shouldn't be possible, surely? The macs were designed to leave at least 1mm space between the screen and keyboard. Have you experienced scratching in the past?

9. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

No, not on any of my apple products but this is the first mac i've owned and Ive already had it replaced the day after I got it due to dead pixels.

Plus im paranoid as i've spent a lot on the mac itself.

10. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Well, I'd suggest not keeping anything between your keyboard and screen. I've been using mac laptops for 8 years now and never had a keyboard scratch my screen. The space between the keyboard and screen when the lid is closed is very small but they do not come into contact with each other. :)

11. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I own a late 2008 unibody 13" macbook, and a 15" rMBP. Both of these will transfer fingerprints and oil on the keyboard to the screen when the lid is closed and pressure is placed on the lid from other things in a bag for example.

Sitting on a table, no contact will be made, but put any force on it and contact certainly does happen.

12. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Ah, I don't put force on mine. I use a hard case when it's in my bag. I'd still discourage having a cloth between the keyboard and screen however.

13. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

My MBA 2011 had issues with the keys marking the screen. I suspect that the casing was slightly wonky from new as it didn't ever sit quite flat when put on a desk. I took it in for a Genius appointment and he got the screen and part of the casing repaired under Apple Care.

After that, I bought a keyboard cloth for it and used it. When I bought my MacBook Pro last December, I also bought a keyboard cloth for it too and I'm still using it without issue. :)

14. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

Mmm maybe ill just clean the keys before closing the lid to try prevent oils and finger prints from going onto the screen. I'll keep an eye on it but I doubt ill rarely take my mac out with me as I have my ipad for portable stuff as well as my iphone.

It seems to be a mixture of opinions on the keys marking the screen though.

15. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

To be blunt there is no mixed opinion, it is a reality. If you put pressure near the middle of the back of the lid, it will flex the screen enough to make contact with the keyboard.

Put enough force on it, and damage can occur.

A keyboard cloth can help and hurt the situation. While it will certainly act as an intermediary in-between the screen and the keyboard, it will also make the space in-between the screen and the keyboard even smaller, putting additional pressure on the screen. It will also make grit more of a concern as any trapped in-between the screen and the cloth will be more likely to dig into the screen.

I miss the pane of glass over the screen on the non-retina macbooks, much harder to damage.

16. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I suppose. Either way I've kept the cloth out from between the keyboard and the screen now so will just see what happens. I do wish there was glass though. Just to make it a little but tough

17. yimyim macrumors newbie

The retinas have a known issue with the screen and keyboard.

Apple replaced my screen because of this issue.
    The screen picks up dirt grime and dust from keyboard area and burns it into itself when the screen then heats up.
    Apple advise ALWAYS having something between the screen and keyboard. If you want even more proof just look at how they ship the unit to you.

Your problem sounds like you are using a "cloth". WAY TOO THICK. Think about a material paper thick or get a screen protector.

And one extra protip: only the decent apple salespeople will let you know about this issue. Was in a store for a new macbook pro 2 days ago and got very different responses based on who you talked to...

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

really? I've not heard too many cases about this. My rMBP is fine as well.

19. yimyim macrumors newbie

Yes, Maflynn. You say this often.

This looks like another case of it happening.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No actually I don't say this often. I have read a small number of threads here, but stipulating its a known issue is not the case. Apple has not made any announcement nor has there been any wide spread reports of this occurring.

Look at that the dPU issues of the 2011 MBP, that's a known issue, marks on the screen - only a handful of users experienced this. I'm not saying the OP isn't having a problem, I am saying that its a known issue, i.e., design or manufacturing flaw.

21. PandaBrit thread starter macrumors member

The cloth I use has been the one that comes with the mac itself. I wouldn't say that was too thick but maybe I'll keep an eye out for a thinner one.

Thanks for the replies guys, will see what happens when I open the screen up when I finish work tonight without having the cloth there

22. yimyim macrumors newbie

Here in CH it is a known issue. I can only speak for here and my experience.

My local official mac shop looked at the screen for less than 2 secs and said something to this effect: "Yes, the retina issue. We know about this. It is convered under warranty. We will replace the screen for you."

I cannot say anymore than this.

I have also asked you several months ago questions about your macbook usage in order to attempt to learn more about this issue, but never received an answer.

----------

My macshop technician recommended nothing thicker than a piec of paper.

At the moment I use a screen protector.
    Hope you can sort out the issue to your liking, good luck!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Show me the thread where you asked me a question, I don't try to ignore threads that I'm subscribed too, but I might have missed it.

24. yimyim macrumors newbie

heres the thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1711504

Posts 25 and 26 are where I asked some questions about usage.

25. gametime10 macrumors regular