Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok. For fun i ported / fixed RetroZilla (originally meant for win9x) back to PPC OS X. This is the full suite (browser, email, composer, address book, and chatzilla irc client). It has support for up to TLS 1.2 and might be a great answer for 10.2/10.3, or something light for 10.4/10.5.

I need people to test and report back. Does it even launch on anything other than my machine? If so does it launch on 10.2 or 10.3? If not, can i get somebody to launch it via terminal and give me the error output? Or the standard crash dialog output? Thanks.

Temporary download location: https://ufile.io/348zm45s (only good for 30 days)

If it indeed does work for at least 10.4/10.5 without issue i will upload the permanent file to the Garden.
Thanks in advance for the results.

RZPPC.png

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm finding it works best with simple Web 1.1 sites - it works fine with mine, veegeeaaa.com and plays the audio and video but completely freezes on Youtube or Invidious for example.

It works really well on old.reddit but struggles with most other sites I looked at - formatting being a real issue as shown here accessing this forum:

retrozilla.jpg

Last edited:

staso28

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2021
OK I've tested it. Leopard and Tiger - it runs fine and fast. Capable to display simple webpages - see screenshot.
In Jaguar it crashed - see attached crash log and screenshot with error log. Missing some libraries... It is almost clean Jaguar 10.2.8 install, without Xcode or any other developer tools.

Attachments

• jaguar-retrozilla-bin.crash.log.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 110
  • jaguar-console-error-log.jpg
    jaguar-console-error-log.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 165
  • retrozilla tiger.jpg
    retrozilla tiger.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 157
  • retrozilla leopard.jpg
    retrozilla leopard.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@staso28 and @lepidotós : if you don't mind experimenting, i've attached 2 libraries. Make sure they don't already exist in 10.2 first. I don't want them to overwrite the stock ones if they exist. After reading your crash logs it looks like the same 2 files required by tenfourfox and interwebppc (which get linked automatically when those builds complete) are required. This may or may not work, but it's worth trying right? Place them in /usr/lib/ and try running RZ again.

Cheers

Attachments

• libs.zip
    507.2 KB · Views: 96

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I'm finding it works best with simple Web 1.1 sites - it works fine with mine, veegeeaaa.com and plays the audio and video but completely freezes on Youtube or Invidious for example.

It works really well on old.reddit but struggles with most other sites I looked at - formatting being a real issue as shown here accessing this forum:

I had similar results on a PM G5 running Sorbet Leopard.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Another tip to help RZ out is changing the default user agent. I modified the classilla user agent string just a smidge and it helps out on select sites. For example facebelch displays the mobile page fine.

Open about:config and create a new string and type in:
general.useragent.override
then in the next dialog box type in:
NokiaN90-1/3.0545.5.1 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 (en-US; rv:9.3.4) Clecko/20220919 RetroZilla/2.2 SeaMonkey/1.1.19 Firefox/2.0.20
Restart the browser.

RZ-mobileUA.png

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Good news! I fixed a few more things. It now has better TLS 1.2 / https support, a mobile user agent by default, new handy bookmarks on the toolbar, and the userContent.css built in. Sites like wikipedia now work!

Previous users / testers should delete the ~/Library/RetroZilla directory first before running the new version to ensure the new prefs and files are installed.

Download link updated on the mac garden.

RZ-wikipedia.png

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Nice! Which file needed changing for the menubar name? I grepped my way through the source but couldn't find it oddly. Drove me nuts and i eventually gave up on it.

One thing i do like about RZ is that it still supports plugins.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice! Which file needed changing for the menubar name? I grepped my way through the source but couldn't find it oddly. Drove me nuts and i eventually gave up on it.

One thing i do like about RZ is that it still supports plugins.
It's in Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

I've been trying to get greasemonkey.xpi to work, tried many versions from 0.6 to 3.10 - met with either "no install script" or "signing could not be verified" - any ideas?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Cool thanks. I'll fix up the menubar name tonight and upload it to "finalize" the project.

Yeah i had the same issue with noscript. I had to modify it. For the 'signing not verified' you have to delete the META_INF folder inside the xpi and repack. Otherwise just attach it here and i'll fix it tonight and upload it. Still havent figured out a way to bypass the install script error on other extensions.

Cheers

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.